All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: bathroom remodel
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:26 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We have a large tub and small 34 X 34 stall shower in our master bath. been wanting to get rid of the tub since we moved in 16 years ago. Kenny's DIL's nephew Chris will be doing it for me. He wasn't sure about the window so he called a few of his contractor friends. They all said it could be an issue because of the size 46 x 46, eventual water damage, etc. Suggested I remove it or replace with a sealed window. Based on the pic I first gave him he ball-parked the job at about $5000 which includes turning the existing shower into an open closet area.

started looking at window options I love the set up of the white shower and hope to find one similar. If not I have the "hinge" option. Once I figure that out I can pick out tile. Going with large slabs and all i know is it won't be white.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Here's what I have now
Image Image

This was a possible choice but without the glass going all the way up.

New target but maybe a lower or no "step" in

Hinge options
Image Image

Post subject: Re: bathroom remodel
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:45 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

How about a no step entry with a sit down bench?!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:48 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I love the second pic!
I would do all white with an inlay of grayish small tiles.
That way when you go to sell (if anytime in the next 10 years), the colors will fit any type of color they would want to make the bath.
Bathrooms are not cheap (which is why we still have a basic blah one or 2)
Also gives you major options for your colors.

I dislike the tan colors personally.
Everyone seems to have them.

If you plan on staying for may years, go wild!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:26 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Maryanne thats exactly what im leaning toward. wasnt sure about the bench but the more i look at it the more i like it. Im sure mine will NOT have a plant on it :lol: does anyone have one, do you use it or should i just go with free standing shower seats?

Kat I like the way the white looks but I have white now and i hate it. my double vanity and cabinets are also white. keeping the cabinets but will replace the vanity top. I do want to stay as neutral as possible, i know alot of people are doing greys, will have to check out a few showrooms.

I know me, i have to touch, feel and ponder . I'll be dragging tiles and flooring back and forth from the store. Im guessing it will be done by January.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:37 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Have fun! We are working on a bathroom and kitchen remodel now. In the lake house we custom built, we did what you are doing (pre build though)...... we turned what was to be the bath tub into a large walk in shower (transom window) with a corner bench (which was great for shaving legs). The shower stall area was then turned into a large linen & luggage closet. It was great. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:12 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Linda, the bench is a keeper...you may not put a plant on it :wink: but it is a great feature! My niece's husband built one in the bathroom in the condo they bought in Boston....she said "auntie ann it is heaven to sit and shave my legs' (yah think....she is 33 and I am 73....looking for a bench for my shower :lol: ) And keep the windows....I favor the hinge covering. I have a full window in our back bathroom, in the shower, here on the island.
Window is frosted....no hinge covering...12 years later...no rot. The shower is smallish but the water does not spray direction on the wall with the window (full window). As to color...i am not a decorator...any rooms here that needed to be changed my husband chose the colors....almost 40 years of marriage at the time....never knew he had a great 'eye'! Good luck...this is exciting!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:19 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We had the same tub and never used it. When we had a leak that we never knew about, we had to redo our bathroom and ripped that thing out. Limited space but we made it work. The tub was in the space in front of the new shower and in part of the shower. I did not want glass doors and ended up just doing a curtain. There was a wall where the shower opening is now and the shower was next to the toilet and very small so we did move a wall to get this done. I have a little ledge to prop my foot for shaving. We will just use a free standing shower chair if/when needed. Don’t forget grab bars. I do love the second picture too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:03 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I would go with a teak fold up/down seat. I would also go with no lip entry. (Thinking about the future, I would make the shower entrance wide enough for a wheel chair. I know, sounds awful. Hopefully you'll never need it, but...) I would also have a frameless sliding glass shower door.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:34 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

pat thanks so much for sharing your pics. those are the size tiles i want for the walls and floor. good point claire, definately no lip. still have to find a door, i was hoping to just do a glass panel on one side and leave the other side open but the space isn't big enough to keep the water from coming out.

keep those suggestions coming, im so afraid of missing something.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:41 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Tip: glass doors are a pain to keep clean unless you live with The Cat in the Hat. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:51 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We use our step in whirlpool tub with the window as a place for plants. Only had water in it once since buying the house in 2004....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:56 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Pat your bathroom is pretty!!!
I love the shower floor!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:20 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Best thing we ever did when we retiled the master shower...was to install grab bars in the shower.
Maybe I had a vision that there was a broken hip and two knee replacements in my future.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:03 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

kathy&jim wrote:
Pat your bathroom is pretty!!!
I love the shower floor!

Thanks. We got the tile at Home Depot and they had a few open boxes and loose tiles so they guy just gave them to us since they wouldn't be able to sell them. Ended up with enough tile and paint leftover to do our small bathroom too. I love the gray because like you said, you can decorate the bathroom different ways.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:29 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Pat, I love your bathroom also, especially the shower floor. I'm thinking of doing that in our first floor bathroom.

Linda, here's a link to a place we buy a lot of glass accessories from. You can get a lot of ideas here.

http://www.crlaurence.com/apps/contentl ... ex_us.html

"Live in the sunshine, swim in the sea, drink the wild air." - Ralph Waldo Emerson