It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

If fortunate enough to get the proper PCR test done at the 72 hours mark before travel, when the results of that test are available, how, by what method are the results provided to the traveler? An email? A hard copy in hand?

Given that these results have to be "Uploaded" to the ED form in a specific section of that form, what, exactly, does the traveler have to "Upload"?
And how is it "Uploaded"? It a 'cut & paste'? Click & drag? What? How?

Please pardon my lack of tech abilities but the last thing I want to do is have all results and info at the ready and have some computer glitch deny my "Upload".

I'm old, not that that is the reason. I cannot cope when sometimes some things don't always go as well as designed on a computer using some tech website. And if that happens at approximately 13 hours prior to travel...., well, there's a lot at stake.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:38 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

leftyjy wrote:
If fortunate enough to get the proper PCR test done at the 72 hours mark before travel, when the results of that test are available, how, by what method are the results provided to the traveler? An email? A hard copy in hand?

Given that these results have to be "Uploaded" to the ED form in a specific section of that form, what, exactly, does the traveler have to "Upload"?
And how is it "Uploaded"? It a 'cut & paste'? Click & drag? What? How?

Please pardon my lack of tech abilities but the last thing I want to do is have all results and info at the ready and have some computer glitch deny my "Upload".

I'm old, not that that is the reason. I cannot cope when sometimes some things don't always go as well as designed on a computer using some tech website. And if that happens at approximately 13 hours prior to travel...., well, there's a lot at stake.

Lefty, the method as to how the PCR results will be conveyed to you will vary by the lab doing the analysis, text, e:mail, snail mail, etc. Go to the website or Facebook page of the timeshare you own & there will be plenty of information posted by people who have gone thru this process. I've read some didn't get results prior to the 12 hour mark, but did receive them prior to departure. They printed it and presented it upon arrival in Aruba & didn't have to test at the airport. Please don't quote me, but if the results came thru while you were at 35,000 feet, I would like to think showing your e:mail or text would be acceptable. Everyone has said to bring paper copy of every text, e:mail, etc., you receive to have as backup.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:19 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

It's best to have the place that's doing the test send the results by email - mail would take too long for that 72 hour window. If you pick up the results in person, then you would have to scan the results if you wanted to upload it. If the results are emailed, they could be sent as an attachment (probably PDF or Word document) or be in the body of the email (if that's the case, you would have to save the email as a text document). For the upload to Aruba's site, they should have a button to click for the upload - you would then browse your PC to select the file location for the upload. We haven't done it yet as we plan on going in September. So, I'm just speculating on how the process should work. I haven't looked yet, but I would think they would have instructions for the upload. As has been mentioned, a printed copy of the results is a good idea - as a backup in case something went wrong with the upload.

“As a general rule, when the NY Times, the Washington Post, NPR, Public Broadcasting Service, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, and CNN begin to parrot a narrative, the truth often is found in simply believing just the opposite”. Victor Davis Hanson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:47 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thank you, both. Your info answers a few questions for sure.
We don't have our air set up yet so the ED form only allows me to go so deep into reading the ED form. Once I get our J/B tickets I'll delve further into the form.
And, because I do not have air yet I cannot see what the insurance arrangements are going to be like nor, if needed, the Aruba PCR test.
Scanning a hard copy of the test results, as sent to me by email, sounds simple enough..... too simple, perhaps.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:36 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

leftyjy wrote:
Thank you, both. Your info answers a few questions for sure.
We don't have our air set up yet so the ED form only allows me to go so deep into reading the ED form. Once I get our J/B tickets I'll delve further into the form.
And, because I do not have air yet I cannot see what the insurance arrangements are going to be like nor, if needed, the Aruba PCR test.
Scanning a hard copy of the test results, as sent to me by email, sounds simple enough..... too simple, perhaps.

From what I’ve read, no need to begin the ED process any earlier than 30 days out. Also, if it doesn’t take, people said they started over again and it worked. Not sure when you’re going but if it’s not until next year, some things will definitely change.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:53 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Honestly..... you cannot imagine how much I'm hoping for that change!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:58 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Leftyjy, I remember when your only concern was what was the status of the roundabout’s. Oh, the simple good old days.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:19 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

So true!

Now, or at least in the days up to when we travel, not only do I have to worry about my wife and I not getting infected but that the two friends who will be traveling with us not getting infected.

A step further, if we take the PCR test at the 72 hours mark and the test results are not ready by the 12 hour mark then we are required to pre-pay for the test to be done at the Aruba airport! Not a problem, pre-paying, but....
It has been said many times that if even one of those in our travel group show positive we all will have to be quarantined! THAT is HUGE!

(I don't even want to think about false positive test results!)

And, further, that one infected person's Aruba insurance package will kick in and pay for their confinement and related expenses. The rest of that group, who will have been required to purchase the same insurance, will have to pay out-of-pocket for the same confinement! What the hell is the rationale there?

So, please excuse me if all of this causes me to worry about the gruesome possibilities lurking out there.

It would be great if any of you out there who have made a successful round trip to Aruba would post in here about how your at-home test results were provided to you and how you "Uploaded" them to your ED form.

Thank you VERY much, in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:53 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Here's another problem for you.

What if you or your party test positive here. So now you are 72 hours from liftoff. Airline will give a travel credit but what about your resort/timeshare. What is their policy. Last I read travel insurance did not cover Covid-19 cancellations. Will you and the lovely Mrs. leftyjy go without your friends and will your friends go without you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:49 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Surely a concern!
But, if we take the at home test and it comes back positive preventing us from even boarding the plane, at least my confinement will be here in my neighborhood and not sitting in some godforsaken excuse for lodging in the back woods of Aruba.
For some reason, what I think is an obvious reason, no one has divulged what or where that confinement lodging is! That 'obvious reason'? To me, the threat of being confined is not strong enough to change someone's mind about going! But, if they announce the place where infected travelers will be quarantined ("The Playa Dump"), that might cause some travelers to change their minds and not take the risk and go.

As for any one single person from our group testing positive preventing that person from traveling, we've talked about that and depending on which of us is the infected one, then we will determine who, if any of us, does finally travel.

Yes, a lot of money lost AGAIN(!!!!), but at least I'll be here in the U.S.

It's GD SCARY!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:31 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:
Here's another problem for you.

What if you or your party test positive here. So now you are 72 hours from liftoff. Airline will give a travel credit but what about your resort/timeshare. What is their policy. Last I read travel insurance did not cover Covid-19 cancellations. Will you and the lovely Mrs. leftyjy go without your friends and will your friends go without you.

Obviously it's going to depend on your accommodations, but the big hotel chains continue to offer "COVID waivers" on their cancellation policies. This includes Marriott, Hilton, and Hyatt properties. With timeshares with fixed weeks (Costa Linda, La Cabana), I think "your week is your week" and if you can't make it (even at the last minute) they certainly won't refund your annual dues. However, they may offer some flexibility in allowing you to rebook. Finally, for airbnb, that's going to be up to you to make sure there's an exception added into your booking to allow you to cancel at the last minute.

So the answer is (as it usually is), "it depends."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:26 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We lost $3,000 for our maintenance fees this year!

And we were not alone. There were over 2,000 individual timeshare weeks lost at CLBR in 2020. I believe the total value was announced at just over $2,000,000 in maintenance fees, none of which was or will be refunded.
I would assume that the same situation prevailed at La Cabana, Playa Linda, Aruba Beach Club, one or more of the Marriotts, and probably all the Divi's, the timeshare ones, anyway.

Our name was entered into a raffle at CLBR for one or two of 166 available weeks thru the end of 2020. We didn't win.

Now, when we get the bill for our 2021 maintenance fees sometime in October that will only serve to recall our 2020 pains.
If we don't pay, out of fear of loss again, our weeks will be put into a delinquent account and after a period of time our weeks are sold by the resort. "Repos"!

Y'know...... the rock and the hard place!!! We do or we don't. Our choice!

What is really interesting is that a month or so ago I had my weeks listed for sale and had two energetic buyers willing to go 'more than asking' for our two weeks. After a couple of days of revisiting CLBR in our minds we chose to renege on the offers to buy. Our weeks there are pretty much the only luxuries we have in our lives!

There ya go! Gluttons for punishment or do we have faith that scientists and governments can get their acts together and make it easier, less painful for tourists?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:56 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

leftyjy, are you saying you paid your 2020 maintenance(s), can't use it and the timeshare is saying you're screwed? If so, I find it hard to believe.

My understanding is that yes people may/were not be able to use their 2020 weeks/points/etc but it gets banked or one gets that option to use it moving forward.

I own two weeks at the Divi Phoenix. Although I am not going until end of November I did contact the Divi and asked what my options were if I don't go. They said I can use the weeks in the future based on availability over the next 18-24 months. So yes unless I am able to go to Aruba (or another Divi location) maybe I would lose it but I can try and rent it or worse thing is make an extra trip to Aruba next year.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 1:27 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:
leftyjy, are you saying you paid your 2020 maintenance(s), can't use it and the timeshare is saying you're screwed? If so, I find it hard to believe.

Not leftyjy, but will try to explain why that's true.

There are different types of timeshare programs. You can buy points (to use whenever available), you can buy a type of room and season (to use whenever available), or you can go "old style" and buy a specific room and a specific week. These fixed week timeshares require you to either use YOUR room during YOUR week, or else you can try to rent it (individually, through an exchange program like Interval International, or through the resort). If you don't use your week, and you don't rent it, you're out your annual maintenance fee - you don't get that back, the resort counts on it when figuring out the annual budget.

Now, lets say your week happens to fall during a time when (for the first time ever) it's impossible for ANYONE to come to the island? You can't get here to use it yourself, you can't rent it out to anyone (because the resort is closed), you can't "bank" it with an exchange program (because THEY can't use it while things are closed, too)...so you are "S*O*L" (sadly out of luck) (sanitized for younger readers).

The resort can't just give you another week in your room, because someone else may own all the other weeks in the year in that room. In fact, they can't give you ANY other room because all other rooms and all other weeks are owned by someone else. While there might be SOME unsold week/room combinations, there probably aren't 3 months worth. So if they do ANYTHING, they may have to "ration" who gets a replacement week.

leftyjy wrote:
I would assume that the same situation prevailed at La Cabana, Playa Linda, Aruba Beach Club, one or more of the Marriotts, and probably all the Divi's, the timeshare ones, anyway.

Actually, the board at La Cabana decided to let owners who lost weeks put in a request for any time within the next two years, and - depending on availability - they are letting those owners use the replacement weeks. This was an unexpected (but hoped for) boon. I don't know if any of the other fixed-week timeshares are doing anything similar.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:38 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanx, Bryan. Pretty accurate, close enough....but not perfect.

Don't lose sight of the fact that La Cabana and the Trop are corporate owned. Costa Linda is a cooperative thus each individual week owner all combined is "the Owner".