All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Quarantine on Your Dime
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:31 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

The following was found on the Aruba Surf Club Facebook page. It's a copy/paste from arubavisitorinsurance.com that is on Aruba.com and not that poster's interpretation. It's one thing if someone in your travel party was sick, but raises questions regarding the extent of contact tracing if someone on your flight tests positive upon arrival. They will know where you're staying from info on your ED Card. Thus, what will be the extent of how many people they decide to quarantine based on contact tracing? Regardless, to be quarantined and not have the Covid insurance cover the lodging seems a little odd.

"The following information was found in arubavisitorinsurance.com. This brings you to 5 different items, one of which is “Isolation Expenses” which reads – Maximum sublimit of $125 per day, max 14 days in case of positive Covid-19 test result. Preventative government mandated quarantines for fellow travelers and those who tested negative are NOT COVERED."

While fellow travelers are obviously those in your family and your villa, does this also include if you were identified from contact tracing because someone you sat next to on the plane tested positive upon arrival? One would hope prior to a 14-day quarantine under this situation, a Covid-19 test would be done and if negative, the person could return to their place of lodging.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:24 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Fellow travelers here means your familymembers of members of the party you travel with, not other travelers on the plane.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:40 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Below is a reply from either the ATA or the ATSA to the Costa Linda.

Wed 7/1/2020 12:56 PM
To: You
Bon dia, hope all is well

Thank you for contacting us. In regards to your question:

If there is someone on the flight (that is not part of your travel group) tests positive, then a contact tracing procedure will take place. This is to inform other passengers that they have been contact with someone else who has tested positive. A quarantine will not be necessary, but you will need to monitor if any symptoms appear and notify authorities if that is the case. The precautions being taken (such as face masks during the flight), will help minimize any risk of transmission, plus testing has been administered to everyone, so no need for quarantine.

Masha danki and looking forward to seeing you soon on the One happy island

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:58 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

dutchdushi wrote:
Fellow travelers here means your familymembers of members of the party you travel with, not other travelers on the plane.

While I agree fellow travelers are those in your travel party, the purpose of my post was to make others aware you could be negative and not only have to do a 14 day quarantine, but that it is not covered under the Aruban Covid insurance. This can get quite expensive for a family of 4 where 3 of them will be out of pocket for lodging costs.

As time goes on, it will be interesting to see if they expand those to be quarantined to others on the infected person’s flight. No one knows and any opinion is only conjecture at this point in time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:03 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

leftyjy wrote:
Below is a reply from either the ATA or the ATSA to the Costa Linda.

Wed 7/1/2020 12:56 PM
To: You
Bon dia, hope all is well

Thank you for contacting us. In regards to your question:

If there is someone on the flight (that is not part of your travel group) tests positive, then a contact tracing procedure will take place. This is to inform other passengers that they have been contact with someone else who has tested positive. A quarantine will not be necessary, but you will need to monitor if any symptoms appear and notify authorities if that is the case. The precautions being taken (such as face masks during the flight), will help minimize any risk of transmission, plus testing has been administered to everyone, so no need for quarantine.

Masha danki and looking forward to seeing you soon on the One happy island

And based on the Isolation guidelines, if someone in your family comes down with Covid while on the island, all others must pack their bags and go to quarantine and it’s not covered.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:12 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Last October I was coming home from Grand Cayman and I had an aisle seat. Young man comes on and he has the window seat. The middle seat was empty. He gets settled and blesses himself (not a bad idea on a plane) and took out a plastic bag of wipes and began to wipe down his area. Started with his seat then the back of the seat in front of him, the fold out table, the window shade, the armrest, the window wall all around his seat. He did it very systematically and complete. Took maybe three minutes. This was way before Covid-19 but may be something we all think to do as we start flying again. Not so crazy is it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:51 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Joey, I am that person. I started a few years ago when there always seemed to be someone sneezing or coughing around me. A lot of my trade shows are in FL, what does that mean, people bring their kids. My last show is usually 2 weeks before my vacation so I don't take any chances of catching anything. When I get on board I wipe the tray, the seat, the armrest, wall, overhead buttons, lights, seat belt, anything I come in contact with. I even have a travel size can of lysol :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:10 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I too wipe everything down in a plane and when I rent a car I wipe everything down inside also. I've been doing this for years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:12 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We are guilty of the same routine

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:46 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Yes, we have been doing the same thing for a couple of years now. We would get strange looks like we were germaphobes but I guess everyone will be doing it now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:10 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I've been cleaning on the plane for a couple of years also - especially after hearing that people change their kids' diapers on the tray. :shock: :shock: We were lucky enough to get our annual Aruba trip in this past winter. We flew out on 2/27 and I told my husband not to touch anything until I wiped down both of our seats, trays, lights, seat belts, etc. I always wipe the tray and the seat belt buckle, but this year I cleaned everything, as this was the beginning of the coronavirus scare. A couple got on the plane after we were seated wearing latex gloves and masks. The wife's mask was crooked and hanging across her mouth and didn't cover her nose. We know that was a waste of time.

I also quickly wipe off surfaces in the bathroom, kitchen, remote, phone, door handles etc in our timeshare unit when we get in!

When we flew home to CT on 3/14, the virus had ramped up to emergency status and I cleaned everything at our seats on the plane even better.

"Live in the sunshine, swim in the sea, drink the wild air." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:25 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Have been cleaning everything on plane in my seat area (and offering wipes to seatmates...most are grateful) for years and years! Started when a woman across the aisle from me pulled down her tray and sat her toddler on the tray. All he was wearing below the waist was a diaper....though OMG (didn't use my tray the rest of the trip :wink: ) Long before the virus...you just never know who was in that seat/using the tray before you!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:20 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
Last October I was coming home from Grand Cayman and I had an aisle seat. Young man comes on and he has the window seat. The middle seat was empty. He gets settled and blesses himself (not a bad idea on a plane) and took out a plastic bag of wipes and began to wipe down his area. Started with his seat then the back of the seat in front of him, the fold out table, the window shade, the armrest, the window wall all around his seat. He did it very systematically and complete. Took maybe three minutes. This was way before Covid-19 but may be something we all think to do as we start flying again. Not so crazy is it.

We have had to make a few flights since COVID-19 started and have been doing the exact same thing as the young man you mentioned. We have only flown Southwest and fortunately they are still leaving the middle seats vacant.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:19 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I guess being cautious cannot hurt but this new illness is spread primarily by being in close contact with an infected person. For at least 10-15 mins or so.....essentially breathing the same air.
I used to chuckle at the people swabbing their shopping carts in the past. I do not really understand their thought process, but I do respect their anxiety in this new situation. But if they are that worried how do they justify grabbing a gallon of milk off the shelf and then taking it home?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:14 am 
Extra Helpful Expert