All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: texting
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:49 pm 
Senior

I am still not clear on cell phone use via Wifi. If you have your US phone in airplane mode with cellular turned off, can you still text via Wifi?

Post subject: Re: texting
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:58 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I was able to text using iMeaasge (iPhone to iPhone) without any cost. Did not attempt to try any non-iphone contacts

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:07 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

We have Android phones and turn off data roaming when we leave the US. We've never put our phones in airplane mode while there. We both have the WhatsApp app on our phones, which is free international texting on wifi. We are able to text at our resort, on the beach and at various other locations/restaurants, etc. when we hooked up to their wifi.

On our Verizon plan, they charge something like .05 or .10 to send or receive a text and maybe .50 if there's a picture in it.

WhatsApp is the least expensive method of texting for us. It's a free app as well. It also allows for free calling and free video calling on wifi.

Hope this helps you.

Stop trying to make everyone happy --- you're not tequila!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:15 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

i have an iphone with verizon. I turn cellular data off, airplane mode on and wifi calling on. iphone to iphone texts go thru. email goes through. Facebook messenger is good for messages and calls, they don't have to be video calls. most of the calls i make are through wifi calling.

You can try it while you are home and see if it works.

my BF has a flip phone with wifi, i enabled wifi calling and will turn it to airplane mode when we are there. im sure we will be able to call each other, not sure about texting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:13 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

You will need to have access to a wi-fi signal and that you will get at your resort. Remember once you leave your resort obviously so will your access to free wi-fi. There are restaurants and other places that offer wi-fi access but that will mean that you have to get their log in each time.

What I do once I check in is get the resorts access code and set up my phone. I keep my usage to only while at the resorts and it works fine for me.

As others have said set up your phone for wi-fi only and you will be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:12 pm 
Prolific

Because of business, I need to have phone access everyday. Verizon has a international plan as others have stated. $10 for 24 hours. The 24 hours start once the phone is used, be it text, call, or internet. The best part is it is based of the plan you use at home. The only extra charge is the $10 as long as you stay within your plan allowances. I have unlimited plan so I can use it as much as I want in a 24 hour period for $10 and because you are using the Setar system, no need to worry about WiFi. I used to rent a phone before this plan was available but have been using this for at least the last 4 years. Works great for me and the $140 it cost me just gets added to the first invoice I make when I get back! :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:16 pm 
Prolific

We have T-Mobile and one of the perks we have is to use any of the Caribbean Island's 4G network. In other words, airplane mode is always turned off. So far we've used 4G in Aruba, Barbados and Antigua and we have not had a problem.