All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Granddaughter
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:11 pm 
Senior

We are taking our 12 year old Granddaughter to Aruba this year with us. As with many 12 year olds, she is attached to here phone that we pay for. I have explained to her that she cannot use the phone except with wifi on the island. However I am afraid that the temptation to use text and data may to great and I will come home to a large cell phone bill. We do have the phone set that if she wants to download or buy something, my wife has to first approve. I'm not sure she will get notification that she takes it out of airplane mode though. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Granddaughter
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:09 pm 
Senior

TBISHOP wrote:
We are taking our 12 year old Granddaughter to Aruba this year with us. As with many 12 year olds, she is attached to here phone that we pay for. I have explained to her that she cannot use the phone except with wifi on the island. However I am afraid that the temptation to use text and data may to great and I will come home to a large cell phone bill. We do have the phone set that if she wants to download or buy something, my wife has to first approve. I'm not sure she will get notification that she takes it out of airplane mode though. Any thoughts?

I d post a reply but my hubby and I are laughing to much after reading the post, :roll: :wink: :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:33 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Unpopular stance, but --- leave the phone at home.
I take mine with me because my credit card company keeps sending me alerts every time I use it in Aruba. I do not use it for anything else but to okay those alerts.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:28 pm 
Freshman

Depending on your carrier there may be a few options that might work. Our carrier had a plan for $10.00 dollars a day (24hrs) you could have unlimited text and calls to the US. The plan was activated as soon as you sent text or made a call. Maybe let her have a day of unlimited and that would make her happy without you having to break the bank.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:54 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Tbishop - How wonderful that you're taking your granddaughter on vacation with you! It will be a trip she will always remember. :D

I know at 12 she's kind of young, but if she has a Facebook account, an Instagram account, or even Snapchat, she can use the message feature from those accounts using wifi to message her friends back home, and never has to use her texting feature at all.

Have a wonderful vacation!

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:48 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Why would a 12 yr old need a phone in Aruba? Call me a dinosaur but too many young kids are glued to a phone and missing out on the real world. No phone, no bill, no problem.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:18 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Telling the OP that his granddaughter must not use the phone or even leave it at home, won’t help as this is not going to happen. This is way she communicates with her friends. Remember how we used to monopolize the landline telephone for hours when we are young? This is nothing different.

I agree that you should try to find out if your phone company has a good international plan. I don’t think you will get any notice that she did take it off airplane mode. That or a really good understanding between you and your granddaughter that she can’t use it without wifi is the only way to go, I guess. She is twelve, so she must be able to understand that using it without wifi or an international plan will cost you hunderds of dollars. Enjoy your time with your granddaughter. I think it is great that you bring her!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:53 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

When I travel to Aruba I turn my phone on for WIFI calling and only use it at the time share. WIFI calling is free. Leave the phone on airplane mode and turn on WIFI calling and no extra billing.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:13 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

cynthia wrote:
Why would a 12 yr old need a phone in Aruba? Call me a dinosaur but too many young kids are glued to a phone and missing out on the real world. No phone, no bill, no problem.

Unless you're paying the bill, none of your business.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:22 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Verizon has a $10/day plan you can add for international travel. We just travelled - family of 4 to the island (19/20 year olds). Hubby added the international plan to just his phone (self-employed.... one man show - needed to check in a few times). The 3 of us utilized wifi and had no problems. Make sure cellular / roaming is turned off for extra protection as well.

Actually, I just thought of a possible idea. Not positive if/how this would work. Could you simply deactivate that phone from your cell phone plan for the time you are in Aruba? That way, there would be no cell service period... but I think she could still use wifi - like an old 'ipod'...... Funny how that name even sounds old school now. haha.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 9:35 am 
Senior

Is it cheaper to pay for the kids phone in Florin or U$ while in Aruba ???? This could be the determinating factor !!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:28 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

First conversation is with her parents. It's ultimately their responsibility.

Verizon has a $10.00 a day (based on 24 hour usage) unlimited talk, text and data Internationally. I have used it many times. I am sure other carriers have similar plans. What I do when away is I start the 24 hour cycle after 7:00 PM which gives me till 7:00 PM the next night. I do this every other day. My total cost is about $40-50 for the week away.