All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Holiday Inn Palapas
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:13 pm 
Senior

A friend who was there last week, told me that Holiday Inn moved most of the palapas to be behind the big blue monuments that mark the line for public beach as apposed to hotel owned beach in the area between the towel hut and the two water sports huts close to the pier. He also commented that the open area in front of the palapas is now very large.

I was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny this. I would be supersized if the hotel made that move. as it would remove or relocate many palapas. It might be he was mistaken and the beach just got bigger as it sometimes does.

Post subject: Re: Holiday Inn Palapas
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:57 pm 
Junior

beachjack wrote:
A friend who was there last week, told me that Holiday Inn moved most of the palapas to be behind the big blue monuments that mark the line for public beach as apposed to hotel owned beach in the area between the towel hut and the two water sports huts close to the pier. He also commented that the open area in front of the palapas is now very large.

I was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny this. I would be supersized if the hotel made that move. as it would remove or relocate many palapas. It might be he was mistaken and the beach just got bigger as it sometimes does.

What is the point in this question ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:26 pm 
Prolific

What is the point of you asking "what is the point"?

They asked a question and clearly you do not have the answer. BTW, neither do I. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:31 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Not sure to the answer to your question, but I can tell you this and it's on their website. As of April 1st 2019, all palapa's are owned by the government and are on a first come first served basis. No more standing in line the day before and hope that you get one. We'll be staying here in April for 10 days and I'm an early riser so front row every day! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:56 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

So someone staying off the beach somewhere can get in their car at 3:00 am and camp out at the Bucuti for the day using a palapa? What about chairs? What's the incentive for paying for a beachfront hotel now that doesn't own it's own palapas? Am I missing something here?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:06 pm 
Junior

Can beach goers just set up their own palapa in front of the other palapas. and is smoking allowed at those palapas ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:09 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Supposedly all beaches in Aruba are public...even though the palapas are paid for and maintained by the resort, they are on a public beach. As such yes a person not staying at the resort can come and sit under and use an unoccupied palapa but NOT the chairs/chaises. Those chairs are definitely owned by the resort. They either bring their own chairs or use a towel or blanket to sit under the palapa. We have this situation at our resort. Our security can only enforce and deny the use of our chairs. To be honest it occurs mostly with cruise ship people on average. Since they arrive usually 9-10 am, most resort guests who get up early get the palapa of their choice.

Now as far as the hotel in this thread....MAYBE part of their lease with the government includes and extends to the part of the beach that they have moved their palapas to????

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:17 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

kris02420 wrote:
Can beach goers just set up their own palapa in front of the other palapas. and is smoking allowed at those palapas ?

To our north side there is a vendor who rents umbrellas and chairs and set them up there as there is plenty of open room at the shore and no need to put in front of ours. (I am referring to Costa Linda.) This is a problem and issue at some of the high rise areas that has been mentioned from time to time.

As far as smoking goes....public open air area...cannot regulate and prohibit it. At times though, especially cigars, it can be annoying but nothing you can do about....just move I suppose if it is an issue. But the tradewinds also help as it can diffuse the smoke too.

We base ourselves at the pool and in October we had quite a few cigar smokers in the area and it definitely gave me an actual headache or two.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:20 pm 
Prolific

ronnieb wrote:
Not sure to the answer to your question, but I can tell you this and it's on their website. As of April 1st 2019, all palapa's are owned by the government and are on a first come first served basis. No more standing in line the day before and hope that you get one. We'll be staying here in April for 10 days and I'm an early riser so front row every day! :D

Interesting as Hyatt and Hilton still have their online system up and booking after April 1 2019. Will be interesting to see if anything changes with them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:03 pm 
Prolific

Rules don't apply to mega resorts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:36 pm 
Senior

It is true. Most of the palapas have been taken down and or moved. I had talked to Kevin, the GM, at the Holiday Inn, and the government is insisting that the laws will be followed. Will just have to see how it works out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:54 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

MuyLinda23 wrote:
So someone staying off the beach somewhere can get in their car at 3:00 am and camp out at the Bucuti for the day using a palapa? What about chairs? What's the incentive for paying for a beachfront hotel now that doesn't own it's own palapas? Am I missing something here?

This law has been around a long time but never enforced regarding the palapas in that they are structures on a public beach and can be used by anyone. Chairs, however, are resort property and can only be used by hotel guests. So technically (according to the law) you can use any palapa anywhere.

The Bucuti was ahead of the game and removed ALL of their palapas several years ago. They then added beach umbrellas which are not permanent beach structures. So only Bucuti guests can use these umbrellas. If you wanted to go sit under a palm tree, however, on the beach in front of the Bucuti, that is perfectly legal - you just need to bring your own chair or towel.

37th trip to Aruba: New Year's Eve 2018/2019
Napa: March 2019
38th trip to Aruba: April/May 2019
Boston: July 2019
Paris: Sept/Oct 2019

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:21 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ArubaAmy wrote:
MuyLinda23 wrote:

This law has been around a long time but never enforced regarding the palapas in that they are structures on a public beach and can be used by anyone. Chairs, however, are resort property and can only be used by hotel guests. So technically (according to the law) you can use any palapa anywhere.

The Bucuti was ahead of the game and removed ALL of their palapas several years ago. They then added beach umbrellas which are not permanent beach structures. So only Bucuti guests can use these umbrellas. If you wanted to go sit under a palm tree, however, on the beach in front of the Bucuti, that is perfectly legal - you just need to bring your own chair or towel.

I like Bacuti's approach to this issue - being owners next door at CLBR, I had assumed that the reason Bacuti replaced the palapas with umbrellas was due to the high cost of erecting new palapas that are destroyed when heavy storms pass by. We observed that it took close to a week for a crew of 3 to build a new palapa at CLBR. I asked one of our beach guys how much a palapa cost to build - don't recall the exact amount, but think it was a few thousand. We own 3 timeshare weeks in September & it's never been a problem getting a palapa - even if you hit the beach in the afternoon. If that ever changes, I'd put in a suggestion for the board to replace the palapas with umbrellas.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:28 pm 
Senior

I guess that I'll have to bring my own umbrella to use on Bucuti's beach.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:02 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I am thinking that the new hard ball tactic by the government has myself and others who stay at these resorts and pay the resort prices and the never ending taxes that they keep adding on to everything considering going to other places for vacation. Time for us to start exploring other vacation spots.