It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:59 pm 
Senior

Investor Carl Ichan completed the sale of his Tropicana assets to Penn National Gaming this month. When the deal was announced earlier this year, the companies said the Aruba property would be sold separately.

It was. Carl Ichan's Tropicana sold it to another Carl Ichan-controlled company. So ...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:30 am 
Senior

Icahn Enterprises to be exact. It ended up costing 5 million to purchase it from Tropicana. From what I hear, everything at the resort is moving along smoothly, if not better than before.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:43 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I've never completely understood the Trop.

Is it affiliated with the La Cabana?

Do guests at the Trop get to use the pool at La Cabana?

Do guests at the Trop get to use the La Cabana beach chairs and chaises?

Do the Trop and La Cabana each have their own special color beach/pool towels for their guests?

Obviously, in order to get to the beach, the guests at the Trop must walk back and forth thru the La Cabana pool area. Does this present a problem with LC guests?

That's all. TYVM.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:33 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

leftyjy wrote:

Do the Trop and La Cabana each have their own special color beach/pool towels for their guests?

Obviously, in order to get to the beach, the guests at the Trop must walk back and forth thru the La Cabana pool area. Does this present a problem with LC guests?

That's all. TYVM.

To my knowledge, these resorts are not affiliated with each other.

Trop guests can not use the pool at LaCabana and vice versa.

Each resort has their own colored beach towels, different loungers on the beach and different beach 'boys' to assist with loungers.

I've never witnessed, nor heard, of any issues with guests from the Trop walking thru the pool/lobby area at LaCabana.

March 2019 Playa Del Carmen, MX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:48 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

leftyjy wrote:

That's all. TYVM.

The Trop used to be La Cabana....still says so on the bath tubs in the old section. Believe they are separate now.
The Trop has its own beach chairs- a different color. The palapas are there for all to use. First come....
Each resort has their own beach towels....different color.
To get to the beach we walk right thru the La Cabana lobby. They only ask that you are dry so as to not drip on the floor.
As far as I know the pool bar, eateries etc at La Cabana are open to all. Pool side place has very reasonably priced dining options, food was OK last time we ate there. I think it was Fajita night.....

They are fixing up the Tropicana-doing a much needed room make over...spending millions.
Still a nice quiet resort and for the price of a standard room you get a separate bedroom and a living /dining area with a full kitchen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:16 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Arubadan wrote:
Icahn Enterprises to be exact. It ended up costing 5 million to purchase it from Tropicana. From what I hear, everything at the resort is moving along smoothly, if not better than before.

Why does 5 million seem awful cheap?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:29 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

happyt1 wrote:
The Trop used to be La Cabana....still says so on the bath tubs in the old section. Believe they are separate now.

Trop used to be a La Cabana, but they were two separate resorts.

We say that there is no choice only to comfort ourselves with a decision we have already made.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:03 am 
Senior

happyt1 wrote:
Arubadan wrote:

Why does 5 million seem awful cheap?

Technically, it was around 15 million but with percentage of the Tropicana deal due him, the bottom line cost was around 5 million.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:36 am 
Senior

happyt1 wrote:
leftyjy wrote:

That's all. TYVM.

Here is a quick synopsis:

The Trop has had several owners over the past 15 years. It used to be affiliated with La Cabana as La Cabana Villas. The ownership was very low then which created lack of funds to do any updates or keep up with maintenance. Another company took over and nothing got better. It was then sold and became The Aruban. The new owners renovated a few rooms and began selling new timeshare weeks. Existing owners were basically forced to purchase "upgrade" packages or be faced with large assessments. After several months of broken promises, lack of any progress and mounting pressure from owners, they up and left in the middle of the night. All paperwork and monies went with them. Resort closed and then reopened, run by the timeshare owners until Icahn bought it at Auction. At that time La Cabana was trying to lay claim to some of the property that Icahn thought was part of the deal. After about a year of court proceedings, most of what La Cabana wanted was awarded to Tropicana. During and after the court hearings/rulings, things like the beach loungers and pools were contentious topics. New rules were implemented, like wrist bands, towel colors, beach chairs to separate the resorts. That lasted a few years and since has been much better with the 2 resorts working together to make things better for everyone. Now with Tropicana selling, one would think another name change is in the near future but with Icahn owning it, renovating and funding it is not an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:35 pm 
Senior

Arubadan wrote:
happyt1 wrote:
leftyjy wrote:

That's all. TYVM.

Here is a quick synopsis:

Now with Tropicana selling, one would think another name change is in the near future but with Icahn owning it, renovating and funding it is not an issue.

Only if Icahn thinks he can make money by investing his money. If he sees inadequate ROI, he'll dump the operation with no regard to anyone or anything other than his wallet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:58 pm 
Senior

Western PA wrote:
Arubadan wrote:
happyt1 wrote:
leftyjy wrote:

Only if Icahn thinks he can make money by investing his money. If he sees inadequate ROI, he'll dump the operation with no regard to anyone or anything other than his wallet.

While that may be true, he has already committed to the next phase of renovation. So much has been done since he took over, the purchase price, if and when he wants out, will only attract a serious bidder. IMO, the days of it changing hands for pennies on the dollar are over and that makes me very happy!