It is currently Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:56 pm 
Senior

Restaurant reviews July 11th through July 27th.

My wife and I are two retired school teachers from Connecticut who have been coming to Aruba for 18 years we have travelled to many other places both foreign and domestic, we like to eat simply with quality foods, well prepared by friendly servers. With that being said, I will try to describe our experiences on the island this year. Please forgive misspellings of some Italian and German dishes, I did my best.

Saturday 11th, and 24th, Our first stop was West Deck, right on the water next to the Renaissance, we love this place and we ate here twice. Love the many small plate appetizers, conch fritters, Balashi grouper fingers, funchi, coconut shrimp and the best salad on the island, (Governor’s Salad). All delicious, served by a delightful staff. Plus, beerita…..so good.

Sunday 12th, we know that many places are closed on Sunday so after lounging on the beach we went exploring and found this most remarkable place, Studio Murano Art, Ayo 22, off of Rte 6 on way to Natural Bridge. Guliano was trained in Murano Italy and has mastered the craft of glass blowing…but he has also opened a restaurant next to the glass shop. We had appetizers of Bitterballs, (I hope I spelled it right), empanadas, and a fantastic pizza. Cold beer, good wine and a fantastic evening. We also met another local artist who happened to be one of Gabby Gonzales teachers. (Another very talented local artist). One of the best nights of the vacation.

Monday 7/13, we did our usual trip to Charlie’s Bar in Aruba drank too much, laughed out loud, and enjoyed the best Conch fritters on the island with a side of “Honeymoon sauce”, in the evening we went to dinner at one of favorite traditional places Barefoot. We had a lovely evening, two orders of Red Snapper, wine, dessert and coffee. Beautiful view, excellent service. This place never disappoints.

Tuesday July 14th supported our home away from home at Casa del Mar and went to Rib Night… I always enjoy it here and their Ribs are very good, French fries, coleslaw beer for me, wine for my wife. Service is attentive and very friendly. One thing to mention if you are staying at CDM their lunches are the best. My wife and I usually take advantage of happy hour two for one, and split either a pannini or grouper sandwich. Very good.

Wednesday 15th, tried something new and it turned out to be a place we went twice….. The Local Store……not much to look at, but the best burgers and wings on the island, a couple of Balashi Chills, meeting interesting Aruban friends what more could you ask for, it wasn’t on the beach, but filled with locals….liked it very much.

Thursday 16th, went to one of our favorite places on the island…Bavaria…..we liked it so much we went twice, also on the 25th. We had wiener schnitzle, jaeger schnitzel,
Sausages, sauerbraten, wonderful potato pancakes, spetzele and red cabbage. Strudel for dessert, plus ice cold beer. Loved the Poulaner lager, and the Spaten lager. In my opinion this restaurant is amongst the friendliest and accommodating. It is one my list as not to miss every year!

Friday the 17th, dinner at one of our favorite places to eat Wacky Wahoo. We have been coming here since the days of them holding the Sunday barbecues. Consistently high quality fish and it didn’t disappoint this year. We had dinner with friends and we all ordered different things, Red Snapper, Grouper, Wahoo, and Shrimp, not one complaint. All served with many sides, funchi, pan bati, salad. You could tell how quiet the island was because we had no trouble getting in, walked off the street at 7PM, normally you need to make a reservation. There were even empty tables. One particular compliment to the chef….fabulous Cashew cake for dessert.

Saturday 18th, Italy in the World…there is always an argument about the best Italian food on the island, for me I like Italy in the World, quality food, excellent wine, superior friendly service, small intimate environment. For dinner we were a group of 4 we had gnocchi with sausage and tomato, tortelloni stuffed with rigotta and spinach, pasta Bolagnese, one of our group was torn between two items…..shrimp and ziti with pesto…..so he said if you want I will make both….shrimp on pasta with pesto sauce. She said it was the best meal she ever ate. We started off with an antipasti, the pruscioto was just like the ones I tasted in Italy. He has the best wine selection on the island, and we enjoyed a nice bottle of Chianti Classico……too stuffed for dessert but did enjoy a cappuchino.

Sunday 19th, Passions, to be fair I have eaten at Passions many times and it has never been one of my favorites, but this year I felt it was so much better. I believe because they had a limited menu and because we ate on the deck not in the sand that more attention was taken on the the quality and preparation of the food. We dined with friends and had 2 coconut groupers, one Red Snapper and 1 Clypso Shrimp. 2 Caesar salads, 2 Watermelon salads. All meals were excellent, in particular my Coconut Grouper was the best piece of fish I have ever had on the island. Passion has always been known for their friendly courteous service, but I always felt their food lacking…not this year, truly a great evening.

Monday 20th, Linda’s Pancakes was closed so with our friends we went to the Dutch Pancake House by the Renaissance very good, but not quite Linda’s. Later in the evening we were going to Que Pasa for dinner, probably our favorite restaurant. But. it was not open….so we walked up the street to a place we have never tried…Des Skuitlin. A pleasant surprise….2 Indonesian Chicken skewers, Keshiana, 1 grouper with fries. All very good, very unique, creative….very friendly. We are already looking forward to going back next year.

Tuesday 21st, Another restaurant we have enjoyed in the past…Quinta del Carmen. We enjoyed several cocktails in the garden setting, dinners were Coconut Shrimp, Grouper/smoked Salmon, Caesar salads and we shared an appetizer of Clypso Shrimp, stoopwafel parfait, and cappuchino. Wonderful food, perfectly prepared, meticulous service. A perfect evening.

Wednesday 22nd, a most interesting day. Because we were going to have guests at our timeshare the next day, we were told that Ruth’s Cakes (particularly the Cashew Cake) were the best on the island. So, we had one made and then we had to find out where it was located to pick it up. No easy task….off of Watey Voss, but no signage…we found it, and I can tell you it was superb, moist, flavorful our guests loved it. So we had to go to Superfoods after picking up the cake for some small items. So we decided to have lunch at Jack’s café (in super Foods)….we really enjoyed it, it was fun in expensive, wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. Great Pateshi. In the evening we just wanted to go light…we split wings at local store!

Thursday 23rd, went to go see our old friend Ricardo at Oak. We took our friends with us we ate Argentine mixed grill, 2 Clypso Shrimp, 1 Peppercorn tenderloin, 4 Caesar salads, no room for dessert, but we did have lemoncello after dinner. It is not only the quality of food, but the friendly service that makes Oak such a delight to dine. We have known Ricardo for 18 years, so I may be a little prejudiced, but you get a great meal, and top notch service. I love this restaurant.

Friday 24th, This time we took our friends to Linda’s pancakes, and it was unanimous, Linda’s rules! In the evening were returned to the West Deck same as before, why change if you like what you had before. Love West Deck!

Saturday 25th, same as before great friends, good food, cold beer. One thing I can add about Bavaria their menu is also kid friendly. Plus, the chef compared his recipe for jaegger schnitzle with my wife, now I will get it at home. Yeah!

Sunday 26th, we dined with friends at Salt and Pepper, 1st time there, and we were all pleasantly surprised, there were 8 of us and we all ordered form the tapas menu, too many choices to mention, but Spicy, shrimp and the Chicken Pinchos, (peanut sauce were two winners). I was a bit skeptical because we usually avoid the high rise area, too crowded for our taste. But, just like the rest of the island, very quiet and not crowded at all. I found it quite refreshing and enjoyed our meal there.

Monday 27th, lunch at Casa del Mar, goodby to friends, flight at 3:45, sandwich confiscation at 3:00, laugh all the way home.....Love you Aruba! See you next year, Lord willing!
I just wanted to add, that certain restaurants were not open, Chalet Suisse, Screaming Eagle, Que Pasa, Pinchos were not open while we were there, they may have opened since, so if you are going double check!