Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Day 1 Part 1
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:13 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I'm Back!

Th lovely but always focused on minimum of 3 hours before a flight has me up at 3:00AM for an 8:30 AM flight on United out of Newark. See we live in New York and she was worried about traffic. Yes I told her that at 3 or 4 in the morning traffic will be light that made no difference. So at 3:34 AM I am in the car (we packed the night before) with maybe 4 hours sleep off we go. I live about 25 miles from Manhattan now and first thing I notice is not a car on the road. Trucks I guess starting their days deliveries but few cars. Get into Manhattan in 28 minutes and Manhattan looks like the cities you see in zombie movies. Empty.
Few cars, no people on the street. Lots of holiday lights around so we decide to drive up (we have way too much time now) and se the Rockefeller tree. So making every light up from 37th Street to 50th Street in like 10 seconds there we are. WHAT? They don't have the tree lighted. Lights all around it but the tree is dark. Who set the timer under that tree. It's fricken Christmas time. The tree should be lighted 24/7.

Well we get a good laugh and off to NJ. Sail through the tunnel and once agin no people and cars. At 4:37 I pull into the parking lot near Newark Airport. Only people checking in. I recommend the Newark Long Term Parking facility. It's not part of Newark Airport it's a separate place. They put our luggage in the van and off we go. Few minutes later we are at Terminal C and now we start to see people and cars. Not a lot but it's an airport.

I surprised the lovely Mrs AJ and upgraded to Business Class (It's their first class to Aruba). So we get special check in line. They allow 70 lbs per bag and up to 2 bags. Breeze through TSA and up to the United Club (part of the upgrade). Another surprise for Mrs. AJ. Now we have a relaxing place to hang out, eat, and drink (Mimosa's). Several hours later it's time to board.

Seats 4 A&B left side of plane so we can see Aruba on landing. My United complaints. The plane was 45 minutes late leaving. They said mechanical problem. That is something you don't want to hear before getting on a plane for an almost 5 hour trip. Other thing. No inflight movie screens on the plane. I did have my laptop so was finally able to log on to the needed United App.

Saw Skyscraper and Meg. I love those silly could never happen disaster movies. We made up some time coming down and land only 20 minutes late. Unfortunately being late made us arrive with at least 3 other flights so the few do it yourself kiosks were backed up and they were making all the US arrivals use them. Only took us maybe 10 minutes and when we got to the luggage pickup our bags were there. United says they get priority bags off first and they did. they only ones I saw all said priority. Grab the two checked bags and off to Alamo across the street. Yes no Hans this year. I am sorry but I like getting my car at the airport. Don't have to tell me that it only takes a few extra minutes to go off site. I am the only person there at the time and agin 10 minutes later we are in a very nice four door car, a/c on, clean and off we go. First thing we say is "weren't we just here yesterday" Seems like we never left.

Usual traffic in town. One mega cruise ship in town. Funny but the buildings they were building last December look the same this December. Still not done. Get to the Phoenix. We are the only people checking in and they upgrade us o the new section. No problem. Thank you.

Unpack. Mrs. AJ does it so carefully. Me I open the draws and throw my stuff in. Off we go to the Managers cocktail Monday party have some rum and pineapple juice drinks and watch the sunset. WOW! never gets old. So we decide to walk down to Bugaloe for their Monday night fish specials. With drinks in hand off we walk. Now I know it was decided to allow building between the Phoenix and RUI. Well in true Aruban fashion nothing has been done. Get past the RUI and man the place looks dead. Get over to the pier where Bugaloe is and it's very quiet. WHAT? Bugaloe is closed. A guy says they are renovating. I'm fricken starving as is the lovely Mrs. AJ.

Plan B. Bingo's for burgers. Off we go. Place just starting to get busy. get two burgers. Feeling better. Bill with no drinks other then water $27.54. Leave $35.00 and off to Super Foods for basic supplies. Place was pretty empty so in and out.

WAIT A MINUTE. I go into their liquor department and what's this prices are higher then the highest places in NY. Hell NO!
No booze for now. I am going shopping today.

Back to the room, put food away and in bed by 9:30.

That's it for now. The exotic bathing suit wearing Mrs AJ is yelling that we must get to the Palapa.

Bye for now.