It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:07 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We were lazy yesterday - our travel day, so no walk. We used up the food we had for breakfast, eating up the 1 banana, 1 egg, and a couple of oatmeal packets. We slowly started packing and spending some final time walking around the beach/boardwalk, and hanging in the pool. Showered, finished packing, and headed to the airport. I think we got there about 12:15ish and it took a good 90 minutes to get the gate. We had a very nice ticket agent who was able to change us to a better connecting flight (less layover in Miami). We had time to enjoy lunch on the concourse and then be ready to board the first flight.

General Observations
This was somewhere around trip #13/14 since 2003. We've stayed at Marriott, Holiday Inn, Renaissance Marina, Divi Phoenix, Coral Reef in Savaneta, and now Divi Dutch Village. We've never stayed in the low rise area til this trip. There are always so many friendly debates over high rise vs low rise - and once you try 'the other' you never go back to the first. You know what - not us. We truly decided that it's all good, and so long as we are in Aruba, we'll stay anywhere. Okay, honestly, I would not want to stay in Savaneta or downtown for the entire trip, but a few nights to extend from the main lodging areas is ok.

We love (and missed) our high rise views of the beach, but we didn't miss waiting for elevators. We absolutely loved having the pool just steps from our door.

We've travelled to Aruba in February, June, and November. This was our first time in August. I think overall, the numbers were down. However, the demographic was different.... way more families with kids. Sometimes our pool was empty, other times it was literally flooded w/ screaming kids.

Here's what we noticed about the Low Rise area and Divi Dutch Village (not all may apply to each resort):
Personally, I didn't need as many cover-ups as I normally do. Staying at the Marriott, cover-ups are required to walk through the lobby to get out to the pool and beach, so I usually bring at least 1 for every 2 days. With the pool just steps from our door, no lobby to walk through, beach close by, I honestly only used 1 cover up for the 5 days we were there - as a couple days, I didn't need it at all. I wore it for short periods of time to get to bars on property (bunker bar, pool/tiki bar).

I think bar drinks are cheaper in the low rise area (at least cheaper than the Marriott). Breakfast too, possibly (but you can find inexpensive breakfast if you no where to go in high rise area).

A timeshare is nice - since it has a kitchen to warm up leftovers or even make a meal if you want. It's not a deal breaker for us though. However, I enjoy full daily maid service when on vacation. They only clean everything once a week (Wednesdays), but are willing to change towels and empty trash if you want.

I did not care for the Divi Dutch Village Studio bathrooms. It has a stand up shower, which is only 1/2 way closed in w/ glass. We literally soaked multiple towels each day with water flooding the floor. There's also no place to hang a towel near the shower, so you have to walk a few steps across while dripping wet to get the towel. The floors become very slippery. I never fell, but lost balance/slipped multiple times.

I think that's it. Thanks for hanging with us!