It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:21 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

This will be a short report as we return to Aruba in a few weeks for an extended stay.

We were invited in April by friends to join them for their timeshare week 31 and after checking if we had any unused miles, we scored two tickets with United on the day they were going to expire! Talk about luck. My husband, Dan and I have been going to Aruba for 20 years - most times twice a year. Our friends and their kids have been going about the same maybe longer, so this visit was really about kicking back (their kids are grown up now and couldn't make it) and enjoying each other's company and Aruba!

Casa Del Mar was in great shape. The beach is back (mostly) and the water was crystal clear and calm all week. Some mornings the skies were cloudy but by noon there was strong sun and great breezes. CDM has added several palapas on the beach and pool area and the onsite restaurant, Matthews, looks like it spiffed itself up to celebrate its 10th anniversary. The resort was not crowded which made it easy to get a place on the beach every day. Besides our relaxing days with friends, we met a few really nice families on the beach as well and exchanged suggestions for dinner, places to see, the usual pleasantries. Well that's Aruba - everyone feels good. Seeing our local friends - sometimes only briefly this time, has us looking forward to our return. We drank daily on the beach what we refer to as 'beach juice' and had lunch in our room. (BTW, beach juice becomes pool juice, or deck juice, etc depending on the location of where we are.)

We dined out each night and ate at Chalet Suisse (twice actually, as we got rained out one night at another place), Barefoot, Wilhelmina's, Screamin' Eagle, Quinta del Carmen and Yemanja. All were excellent and hard to say which was our favorite, but Yemanja stands out a week later. I'll try to do restaurant reviews next week.

Entry into Aruba and departure was smother than usual. Not sure if it was a slow week for tourism but enjoyed the difference. Dan and I are geared up and ready to go in two weeks. A few new places to try for dinner and repeats of some we didn't get to this last time. It never gets tired for us.