The Aruba Forums
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:28 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We had a 10:57 Jet Blue flight from JFK & had the limo pick us up at 6:45. The boarding process was a little chaotic. The attendant running the boarding process did not use the loud speaker & people couldn't hear what she was saying, so people crowded around the desk. She kept repeating that she wanted folks to clear the path to the desk, but people kept crowding. At any rate, we finally boarded the plane a bit late. The posted departure time on the screen never changed from 10:57 AM, but I realized there was no way we would take off on time. After all the passengers were seated, one of the attendants announced that we would be delayed taking off since JFK was giving priority to Florida flights - which was understandable. Then the captain said that we would fly along the coast of Florida instead of going out over the ocean to avoid the bad weather. Bottom line is that we were only 2 hours late arriving in Aruba. I didn't notice any of the passengers complaining in any way & neither did we. Funny thing is that when we got to our resort & I got on my PC to check my emails - noticed that Jet Blue had sent 3 emails - 1st one at 10:45 read that take-off would be at 12:00, 2nd one sent at 11:15 had departure time at 12:15, and the 3rd sent at 11:28 had the time at 11:55. We left JFK at 12:23 & arrived in Aruba at 5:32. We didn't have too long to wait for our luggage & Hans from Tropic was waiting the lobby to take us by van to our almost brand new car (only had 819 KM & smelled like a new car) near his new pickup point close to Price Smart.

Forecast for Saturday & Sunday mornings was for rain, but we didn't get a drop. It was overcast both days without much sun. Ocean was calm in the mornings, but the waves picked up in the afternoon. A ledge developed in front of CLBR & there were varying degrees of drop-offs depending on where you entered the water. Ocean was not clear as we're accustomed to at Eagle Beach.

When we first arrived, we noticed 4 of those oil or gas exploration ships - 3 were to the south & the other was right off the CLBR beach. The one in front of CLBR gradually moved north & went out of view during our third week.

They put up the red flags on Wednesday (09/20) and Thursday (09/21) - waves were the largest we've seen on Eagle Beach - just a few braved the waves & many got knocked down. Lots of seaweed (the stringy kind) washed ashore & the beach guys were busy raking it up. We heard that a woman staying at CLBR got knocked down and suffered broken ribs and a collapsed lung. On Friday the waves were calm again and we gave it a try in the afternoon. There was a lot of seaweed in the ocean and the pounding of the waves had created a ridge. On Saturday the ocean was much clearer, but the ridge was still there.
Image Image

We saw a new sailboat go by every day – we found out it was the Monforte, which does a dinner sail – it’s a 4-course meal which includes unlimited premium beverages – cost is $130 per person. Read a review with pics on Trip Advisor – nice looking and roomy.

Image Image

Due to the election, you couldn't buy liquor at the supermarkets or restaurants (unless the restaurant was at a resort) on Thursday or Friday. On Wednesday, when we were driving back to our resort after having dinner at Pincho's, we noticed that the southbound side of the road was blocked for some sort of election rally, but the northbound road to the resorts was open. We had heard a lot of commotion and loud music coming from the road while we were at Pinchos.

We went shopping on Saturday morning - didn't see any sign of work being done at the old Bushiri site and didn't see any sign of the invisible trolley. I get the feeling that the trolley only appears when cruise ships are in port. Still confused about the parking - a salesgirl at one of the shops said that they don't charge for parking anymore, but we saw people paying at those kiosks. We parked in the Renaissance parking lot near Casa Tua since I couldn't find a spot with white lines at the large lot along the dock. There were plenty of empty spaces with the yellow lines that are for residents & as I was driving past the spaces with the white lines - noticed that most of the cars had "A" license plates. Something's not right with this picture.

During our 3rd week, the water was not clear and you had to time the waves to get in and out. I took a walk towards ABC & Casa Del Mar and noticed a lot more of the rocks exposed than I saw last year. A very high ridge formed starting at the end of Manchebo – looked about 3 to 4 feet high.
ImageImage

ImageImage

One day, we drove to Boca Catalina to snorkel - water was very clear & we saw many beautiful fish.. We both had very light water shoes to walk over the rocks as you enter the ocean & found that we didn’t really need fins – the water shoes didn’t impact swimming. Next trip we’ll do more snorkeling here.
Trip home on Jet Blue was uneventful – the gate personnel knew what they were doing and we didn’t have the chaotic scene that we had departing JFK. Flight departed on time & we arrived early.

If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labeled a radical 60 years ago, a liberal 30 years ago and a racist today - Thomas Sowell