The Aruba Forums
It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Update of Webmaster
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:28 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Karen, this is not a good situation you are in. And without any support. I don’t understand how the doctor can avoid phoning you all that time. I would go mad in your case. And maybe go to the hospital and camp out there until the doctor comes over to talk to me. I do hope you will finally get some answers and that someone will support you and Richard during this ordeal. We will keep sending prayers!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:08 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

The sepsis info from Linda and the UTI info from Ann I can also attest to.

Neil developed a UTI 3-4 years back which turned sepsis. (Due to a catheter from a medical procedure previously that was the cause of the UTI) He did not turn combative but a lot of what you are describing for Richard was checking off some boxes of what he went through.

Since it was during "normal" times I was able to be at the hospital non stop unlike what is going on now with this virus. Every day something different was happening and needed to be treated to FINALLY get the infection under control and get his levels and everything back to normal. It was a definite juggling and balancing act. That could very well be what is happening here and they should be able to confirm it or not.

I pray what is going on can be reversed with the proper medications and monitoring.

Right now the hospital is one of the last places any one of us want to be but it is terrible that you are not being informed and being involved in his care and knowing what is going on.

(Neil had what was supposed to be an in and out procedure last Friday which had complications and he wasn't discharged until Sunday. I could not help get him admitted, needed to drop him off and someone wheeled him in and during his stay could only speak with him on the phone. Time to pick him up...same deal....pull the car up and they wheeled him out. My only saving grace was the nurses and his surgeon kept me informed as well as Neil and I was not treated the way you are saying which is totally inexcusable.)

Prayers that things can turn around quickly. I am so sorry for all that you are going through right now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:52 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Another thing to add for us seniors is low iron levels and hemoglobin that can create a host of issues too. When the iron is low iron infusions are the quicker way to treat as the oral iron takes too long to help balance things out.

I would certainly hope labs have been done repeatedly to keep track of which levels might be out of whack causing issues like you are describing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:30 pm 
Junior

I FINALLY heard from A doctor, a doctor who's never seen him, before,and FINALLY got some results. Richard is in the early or even later stages of dementia and has had a mini stroke. There's talk of moving him to rehab but nobody knows anything about this. Physical therapy has been in to see him and he has not done well at all.So I don't know what is going to happen to him. I fell at this time, and God forgive me for saying this, but I would rather have Richard die now instead of going to rehab and God only knows what he's going to be like at home. I'd rather have God call him home now and save him from all this misery and pain.

I know all about dementia. I lost my dear father 25 years ago, when he was only 65 years old to dementia and what my poor mother had to go through before she finally got him admitted to a VA hospital. It was worse than HELL!!!
Please continue to say prayers for my dear husband, Richard. I'm going crazy not being able to visit him in the hospital and talking with him. He didn't even recognize my voice yesterday. Today was better, but it was still all jibberish!!! I've called social services yesterday, and never got a reply call back and now it's the weekend.

Somebody PLEASE HELP ME!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take...
But by the moments that take your breath away..... Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:33 pm 
Junior

And also, I asked if the doctors had checked him for a UTI and he does NOT have any. They did say that he was retaining fluid in his bladder and that they had to cath him. They might have to do that permanently! All his tests are coming out fine even his electrolytes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:52 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

So very sorry to hear this.

I totally understand how you are feeling about this diagnosis having seen it first hand myself with grandparents my Mom cared for and a few close friend's parents as well as your previous personal involvement. This is one of the absolute worst things none of us want to hear.

Praying for strength for you and also for Richard who has been so wonderful all these years creating this Aruba website and the Swamp that has been a great place for so many of us at different points in our lives and friendships.

:(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:56 pm 
Junior

I don't mean to be negative but I THINK this bulletin board will be coming to an end very shortly since I have no one to take over for me. I guess we'll have to just wait and see. I'm very sorry!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:23 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I am so sorry for what you are going through.
From previous messages, I think you are in the area of The Villages. My bro lives there...not trying to add fuel to the fire, but he had a stroke a year ago today and HE WAS in the hospital. He's progressing, but impaired.
Not excusing the hospital, but Covid has driven the whole system CRAZIER.

We continue to hope and pray for the best solution for Richard and you.

I think most people 70+ show some signs of dementia. Were things noticed before these event?
I'm sure maintaining this board provided brain activity. Just maybe, if the they can properly treat the physical problems, the mental activity may improve. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:41 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

karen thanks for letting us know whats going on. my heart breaks for you, i hope you can get someone to help/support you. we are all here for you

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:22 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Please just focus on Richard, Karen; you don’t need to worry about anything else. Stay positive and just take each day as it comes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:35 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Karen, continued prayers for Richard and for you. This is a difficult situation for you to be in especially during these already trying times! Hugs!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:46 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Karen, I am lost for words. Just want to give you a big hug.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:13 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Just read through your situation, Karen, and wanted to tell you to please not give up hope.
Even if it's only a glimmer. We are nothing without hope. Prayers for you & Richard.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:30 pm 
Junior

I think here TRUELY is a GOD! I just got in touch with my next door neighbor, in the apt. next to us, and really didn't know her except my dog and her dog are good buddies. Well, anyways, I went and knocked on her door to her about Richard and try and get some help with my TV remote. Richard must have done something to do it the last time he was home, and unfortunately, but maybe fortunately I can no longer watch TV. Maybe that's a good thing to happen. Anyways, she tried her best and couldn't fix things. But we had a very good talk for a few minutes, and yes with our masks on, and she suddenly seemed like the answer to all my prayers I've been sending up to our Great Lord. It was so soothing knowing now that I did have someone to go to if I really need to.

YES JESUS does truely live in this world. I believe I just witnessed a miracle. I know now I'm sounding wacky, but I don't care!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:55 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Karen, you do not sound wacky!! Someone is looking over you and sending this good neighbor your way! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next