It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:17 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Okay, so I've been fairly quiet in the Swamp lately. We've had a lot going on.
Here's the short and to the point summary:

We bought a house in Punta Gorda Isles on June 15. Closed yesterday.
We listed our condo w/in a few days and got a contract around July 15 after only 3 buyers looked. Close 8/31, if all goes well.
The last of my military reunions cancelled bc of Covid 19, so I basically don't have an event planning business anymore.

A few more details to follow.....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:30 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

WAHOO!!! Congratulations on your new home. Punta Gorda Isles is the most beautiful place. Wishing you many, many years of fun, family and friends. Life sure is good!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:32 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We love our condo and love Punta Gorda, FL. Even though the condo is decent size (3 br, plus office - about 1850sf), the lanai is not really large enough for more than 4 people comfortably. We miss entertaining. The pool is nice and quiet, but we feel like we're always being watched and have to keep our voices down. The trip on the boat through the canals to open water takes close to 30 minutes. Mike wanted to be closer for fishing. So, pretty much ever since we moved in, we've continued watching Zillow and our realtor's links for single family homes. I didn't think we were serious or would make a move, but it's just fun to look. We looked at a few houses in May, and found this one in early June. It's not perfect by any means, but it checked all the boxes above. The lanai/caged patio is huge for this area. We are now only 8 minutes to big open water - so Mike is loving that. It's an 80s home with an 80s floor plan. We're starting with just paint to freshen it up, but I imagine we will have a new kitchen, new master bath, and a somewhat modified living area w/in the year.

We put the condo on the market within days of the house contract and were discouraged with only one showing each week. However, the 3rd buyers came back for a second showing the same day and made an offer the next morning. We're very happy. The deal is contingent on their financing, so hopefully all goes smoothly. They waived the inspection period and have past the period of time they have to review the condo docs.

Earlier this week, we packed a Uhaul at the GA house of all the 'family pieces' I can't bear to give away like my grandparents coat tree and hutch cupboard, the kitchen table that my mom designed and help make, and the kitchen chairs that my grandmother had made as a wedding present for Mom/Dad. Also kept a drop leaf table and chairs from Mike's family. On top of that, we loaded all those boxes that we'll probably never open, but can't get rid of (photo albums, baby keepsakes, ugly bowls/vases from grandmas/aunts, etc. That all got unloaded into the garage yesterday...... after driving GA to FL on Wed in the pooring down rain.... and the Uhaul leaked (I won't even bother describing that nightmare with antique furniture). The condo furniture will get moved next Saturday, after painting is done. Mom is hoping to put her magic touch on the kitchen table to maybe give it a little more of a 'coastal' vibe.

We are hoping the boys will come down in a couple weeks before colleges start back.

I guess that's probably more than any of you cared to read, but thanks, if you did.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:46 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Sitting here alone you have my undivided attention Donna. :lol: I was thinking today that my cottage owner is going to need some some outside repairs, the salt air does havoc. He has refreshed inside, to justify the $$ increase :? . Have you seen those shows where they renovate steel shipping containers, no outside upkeep. I want one of those, perched right over there. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:31 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Great news Donna and congrats to you and Mike.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:32 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Congratulations! Sounds like a good move for you. I looked at that area online and will love to hear how you like it. How far is your Mom now?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:12 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Oops, congratulations on your new home, I got sidetracked.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:37 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Sounds delightful!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:46 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Pat7 wrote:
Congratulations! Sounds like a good move for you. I looked at that area online and will love to hear how you like it. How far is your Mom now?

We've owned the condo for over a year now and fell in love at first site. We became Florida residents on 12/31. We've gotten involved with clubs and gotten to know lots of people.

Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:58 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Congratulations on finding a home that ticks all the boxes! I loved the pictures of your condo and what you did with it. I am sure the new buyer will be very happy with it. And it is just great you could close all those things in time and make a fresh start.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:36 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Congratulations!!
You sound over the moon excited!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:55 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubalova wrote:
Great news Donna and congrats to you and Mike.

X2

RIP Nina

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:12 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Congrats Donna, sounds like you will have a fun time doing some remodeling & decorating. Must admit I was surprised when you bought the condo as I know how you like to have big family gatherings.
Look forward to seeing some before & afters

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:17 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Happy for you and Mike, Donna. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:19 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

This is not boring reading...just the reverse....exciting news! Owning the condo and going back and forth was a wonderful way to start. You had to live there (even part time) to learn if you liked 'living there' :wink: You know you like the area, have made lots of friends and are prepared to begin the next stage of your life. Congratulations to you and Mike!! :D