All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: My war on wasps
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:37 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Usually my philosophy is don't bother me, I won't bother you; Buddy not so much. I've been watching wasps go down the cracks on the front deck, Buddy likes to nose around them when he's out there, I've already picked one off his nose. Amazing what you will do when your baby is in trouble :wink: Anyways, I read about Dawn dish soap in a squirt bottle. I opened up the door under the front deck, and don't see a nest but was also giving the wasps a quick getaway if they wanted and started squirting them and they die pretty quick. I do this several times a day, we haven't been sitting out front for a few weeks, almost as long as I put up my new umbrella :evil: . This morning I took several pans of hot soapy water and threw it down the cracks. Just checked and there are several more dead wasps lying around. I'm going to do this for the week and hopefully I can reclaim my deck.

Post subject: Re: My war on wasps
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:48 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Karen, can't you call a exterminator to get rid of the wasps? I had problems a couple of years ago had the exterminator come over and now I haven't had the wasps for a couple of years. Man, they hurt when they sting you so be careful.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:10 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Wow Karen...glad the method is getting rid of some of the wasps but I'm with Froggy...call the experts!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:13 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Froggy, I hate to use chemicals, pesticides around the house. I hate to spend money on anything I can do myself. If I saw an actual nest I was going to call the professionals. I haven’t ruled out calling the professionals if I can’t claim my deck back. Until then, reporting from the back deck :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:28 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

My neighbour just told me she has a wasp nest in her shed and she would deal with it tonight. She lives alone and there are no professional services opened here on Sundays. :? I’ll have prime viewing out my dining room window If I hear a racket and 911 on speed dial :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:41 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

karen1 wrote:
My neighbour just told me she has a wasp nest in her shed and she would deal with it tonight. She lives alone and there are no professional services opened here on Sundays. :? I’ll have prime viewing out my dining room window If I hear a racket and 911 on speed dial :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:29 am 
Senior

Did anybody ever watch that show, "Billy the Exterminator?" Every time I take out a wasp, I think of his intense, possibly stoned, definitely heavy metal-fueled voice saying, "These suckers are MEAN! I don't like to kill any animal, except a wasp. So, we're gonna hit 'em with PYRETHRIN! It'll kill those bastards in a SECOND!"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:00 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Good luck Karen.
There is a black hornet/wasp? (they are HUGE) nest in the garage vent he needs to kill.
I'm not doing it!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:28 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

The Environmental Working Group gave Dawn a 'D' grade because of it containing methylisothiazolinone, which is a "High Concern: acute aquatic toxicity; Some Concern: skin irritation/allergies/damage". Dawn also contains 1 4-dioxane which is considered a groundwater contaminant.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:47 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Well toxic Dawn is working miracles with the dishpan splash. I just swept away more bodies. If these are from the hive next door, she’ll have less chance of getting stung tonight. My bees and I are living harmoniously out back. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:14 pm 
Senior

Cap'n Tom wrote:
The Environmental Working Group gave Dawn a 'D' grade because of it containing methylisothiazolinone, which is a "High Concern: acute aquatic toxicity; Some Concern: skin irritation/allergies/damage". Dawn also contains 1 4-dioxane which is considered a groundwater contaminant.

Methylisothiazolinone (oddly enough abbreviated MIT) is used to control microbial growth in water-based or water containing environments. It's an ingredient in many shampoos, liquid soaps, toothpastes, lotions, sunscreens and even mouthwash. Along with its cousin CHLOROmethylisothiazolinone (CMIT, which adds chlorine to the mix), it is used also in water storage tanks and in the productions of fuel, and even in some industrial marine ship painting. When used in low concentrations and washed off quickly, it can be a great emolient and cleansing agent, hence why it is used in soaps, etc. But extended exposure to any concentration can cause skin irritation & allergies; and in higher doses, like Tom says, can cause toxicity to the water which can be dangerous to marine invertebrates and fish. Many companies are curbing their use of MITs and CMITs for that reason.

Sheltina has a chemistry degree, and I'm always reading labels. The reason I know about this particular biocide...long story (I know that's a shocker coming from me); when the boys were very young, I'd sometimes just put them in the shower with me to save time and water. #1 (who was reading before he was 3) often wanted me to give him words to spell. So once as a joke, I took the shampoo bottle and looked for the longest word in the ingredients. Guess what it was! :lol: :lol:

Years later, I'm at the doctor's office. My doctor is also a friend & client of mine. He was telling me about this solution they use in synthetic cartilage injections (Synvisc, to name one...GREAT in my knee back in the day). He mentioned the use of "thiazolides" and I told him about the shower joke. He said it was the same structure, but without the irritants. I thought, "IRRITANTS?!?!?!" and started wondering if they could be triggering some of Sheltina's allergies, so I investigated. YES, I AM THAT BIG OF A GEEK!

Tom, based on some of your posts, I'll bet you and I could have a great night of beer drinking-fueled, trivia and pun-filled conversation that would easily bore our significant others and anyone else!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:33 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I'm guesssing you are correct!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:58 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

A new bro-mance in the swamp :wink: :lol: I had read Years ago about what makes Dawn blue is toxic (Maybe all versions are or some worse than others :? ) but you also see the commercials for washing the baby ducklings to clean them from the oil spills. :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:44 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

karen1 wrote:
A new bro-mance in the swamp :wink: :lol: I had read Years ago about what makes Dawn blue is toxic (Maybe all versions are or some worse than others :? ) but you also see the commercials for washing the baby ducklings to clean them from the oil spills. :?

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:57 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Did she get rid of it?