It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:30 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

My own medical insurance (through my employer) covers me when I'm out of the country (and for the virus) but apparently (as of right now), this Aruba insurance is mandatory whether you have covered medical or not.

South Beach: Jan. 2020
New Orleans: Feb. 2020
Playa del Carmen: March 2020
Oregon wine country/coast: July 2020
40th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2020

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:53 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Saw a Facebook post that said they confirmed with a government source that if you have your own coverage for COVID you do not have to buy the Aruba insurance. They just want to be sure you have some kind of coverage.

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:40 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Covid insurance is mandatory. It is $ 15 a person a day and covers the cost of quarantaine, medical care and intensive care on Aruba. On average you can’t insure yourself against a pandemic. That is why local insurance companies especially arranged this insurance.

If you didn’t get tested before entering Aruba, the cost of the test on arrival will be $ 75 and you will have to stay in quarantaine for 24 hours. It is allowed to be in quarantaine where you are booked (hotel room, timeshare, or home for instance).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:47 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I usually go for 30 days x $15 = $450. Plus $75 for a test. $525 per person. I've made up my mind. I'm not getting on a plane without being vaccinated. Imagine getting there and one person on that plane tests positive (or even false positive)? How much of a gambler are you?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:22 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Sounds to me they are just trying to get some lost revenue back. So, if you don't get ill over there, are they going to refund your $15 per day? I think not

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:14 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

ronnieb wrote:
Sounds to me they are just trying to get some lost revenue back. So, if you don't get ill over there, are they going to refund your $15 per day? I think not

Of course not, like they won’t charge you extra when you end up on the ICU.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:06 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

This seems like a money grab to me.

I have already lost my vacation this year and the $4000 in maintenance fees to Marriott.

Now, if I want to come back for two weeks, I am going to fork out Aruba health insurance money on top of the other taxes they already pin on tourists.

It might be time to sell the timeshares.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:10 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

PensFan99 wrote:
This seems like a money grab to me.

I have already lost my vacation this year and the $4000 in maintenance fees to Marriott.

Now, if I want to come back for two weeks, I am going to fork out Aruba health insurance money on top of the other taxes they already pin on tourists.

It might be time to sell the timeshares.

It is a money grab, it's BS, any smart person can see through it. Very disappointed in the Aruba government for pulling this shi@ Shame on them!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:45 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I tend to disagree. If people get ill with COVID and end up in hospital, the costs are covered with the insurance money. If not, Aruba must see how they collect the money from tourists that end up on the hospital and either die there or get better and leave the island. And tourists will get ill with COVID while staying on the island and end up in hospital or worse.

Anyway, it is up to you if you travel to Aruba or not. COVID is in no way gone. I know I will not travel until there is a permanent solution for this virus. Although my heart bleeds with the idea that this might mean not coming to Aruba for the next few years.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:02 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Here is the link to all requirements for entry into Aruba:

https://www.visitaruba.com/news/general ... quirements

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:03 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Sorry Ingrid...I disagree with you on this one. My USA health insurance (for which I pay dearly each month), covers me worldwide, including covid 19 and any other illness, hospital care, etc. Others have this insurance also. I will not pay more unnecessarily. I agree the pandemic puts Aruba in a sticky situation but $15 a day is way overboard. I know many people who come to Aruba for three months in the winter...some own their own homes here. They contribute thousands of dollars to the economy each winter (dollars Aruba cannot afford to give up!). Aruba could self insure....eliminating an insurance company grab of some of the $$ ...it won't take long to build a safety net. ($100 per ticket for example...if 2,000 tourists arrive in one week that is $200,000 in one week!) Let's be honest...if the cases of tourists coming down with the virus while on the island increases significantly the border will close and the safety net built up will take care of those tourists on the island who are ill until they are ready to return to USA. I would presume Aruba would treat this like they always have. If you need hospital services here you pay up front...with a credit card. I truly hope those "in charge' rethink this.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:41 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

If the Aruban government is truly this worried about the potential of visitors bringing the virus back to the island, and they have every right to be, then maybe they should close to visitors until there is a vaccine.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:35 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Ann, if what you say is true, I stand corrected. I know that my Dutch medical care doesn’t cover these costs outside the Netherlands and I doubt my travel insurance does cover needing medical care due to pandemics. So in case the medical care in the States covers this kind of costs, all the government has to do is demand travelers from the US to have medical care.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:53 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

dutchdushi wrote:
Ann, if what you say is true, I stand corrected. I know that my Dutch medical care doesn’t cover these costs outside the Netherlands and I doubt my travel insurance does cover needing medical care due to pandemics. So in case the medical care in the States covers this kind of costs, all the government has to do is demand travelers from the US to have medical care.

My medical insurance (through my employer) also covers me internationally and includes COVID-19 related illnesses. I have used it in the past outside the U.S.

South Beach: Jan. 2020
New Orleans: Feb. 2020
Playa del Carmen: March 2020
Oregon wine country/coast: July 2020
40th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2020

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:54 pm 

I wonder how many people will come to Aruba given the restrictions. I have been traveling to Aruba for 40 years. If I have to social distance and have take-out for dinner count me out!! My trip begins in February. If I have to miss this year, I will be so miserable but I would be just a miserable there unable to fully enjoy Aruba as I am used to doing.