It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:29 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

This is the first time for me, when booking our trip, I used Expedia this time being so much cheaper. Here's my problem, we are flying Delta down and American back. It is NOT giving me the option to go onto their web site and pick our seats? It's saying seat will be assigned after check in? And also says that you may not be sitting with your family! I never had this problem when booking on Cheapcaribbean. Do you think they will have us sitting together being only 2 people? Appreciate any feed back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:41 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Can't help with that one, sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:11 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

You can request at check-in, but depending on how full the flight is, they may not put you together.

That is the problem with flying Basic Economy, which is what i assume Expedia booked you on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:14 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Call and talk to them tell them you do not fly well and need Sue by your side.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:19 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

For me using Airmiles that means when I check in on-line 24 hrs before I can pick my seat then. There is usually a seat assigned to the reservation (for holding purposes I would assume but I can't see which seat until I check in) which most of the time I don't even change if it's an aisle close to the front (it may use my history where I sit) but I do have the option to change my seat at that time. I think that's a standard line covering their a$$es about sitting together, I think that's more so for larger families. A cash grab having families paying the extra to book seats together.

Last edited by karen1 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:58 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Go to the airlines web site with your confirmation number or ticket number. You should be able to choose your seats. I do that when booking thru Expedia or Travelocity.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:08 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

This article explains all of this new-ish stuff the airlines are doing now to get more money for seats. Basic Economy is just that now - basic. Can't pick your seat, etc. They want you to pay to upgrade for what used to be basic considerations while flying.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2018/12/19/united-american-delta-preferred-seat-fees/2293721002/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:04 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

ive never booked flights through any of those sites but my friend always does. same thing, can't get your seat until you check in, and they normally don't get 2 together. this year they ended up in the very last row of the plane. guess it depends on how booked the flight is. I would see if you could get some kind of confirmation number that will work on the airlines sight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:46 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

You booked basic economy seats on AA. You cannot pick your seats and have to pay for any checked luggage. Same with Delta's Basic Economy seats. On American you can use the overhead bin on Delta you can not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Because of situations like this, I am working to get Elaine her Emotional Support Animal Certification.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:56 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I have confirmation numbers for both airlines, both say the same thing, cannot get seats until check in which is BS! And yes we are using.the overhead on Delta :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:02 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ronnieb wrote:
I have confirmation numbers for both airlines, both say the same thing, cannot get seats until check in which is BS! And yes we are using.the overhead on Delta :lol:

Did you book "basic economy" per ardy's statement above? Both Delta and AA have various levels...if you booked the "cheap seats" airlines will stick to their rules...seats assigned when you check in and Delta does not allow you to use overhead space. Hope you saved a lot by booking through the third party site! good luck

Louis Tomlinson

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:10 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ann wrote:
ronnieb wrote:

Did you book "basic economy" per ardy's statement above? Both Delta and AA have various levels...if you booked the "cheap seats" airlines will stick to their rules...seats assigned when you check in and Delta does not allow you to use overhead space. Hope you saved a lot by booking through the third party site! good luck

Ow I did save quite a bit, approximately $1500-$1800, but I didn’t pick basic economy, it was the only choice, on cheapcaribbean, you have an option for like $15 more to pick your seats out, Expedia I guess does not give you the option :x

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:34 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ronnieb wrote:

Well I hope it will fit under the seat too cuz it would be a hard lesson if you have to pay for additional checked luggage when they remove it :wink: And like Linda's article said, new rules as of Dec 14 for Delta, American and United.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:43 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ronnieb wrote:
ann wrote:
ronnieb wrote:

Ow I did save quite a bit, approximately $1500-$1800, but I didn’t pick basic economy, it was the only choice, on cheapcaribbean, you have an option for like $15 more to pick your seats out, Expedia I guess does not give you the option :x

Expedia does give you the choice. I've booked three of our Europe trips on Expedia. The choice is in the screen after where you choose your flight. I punched in BOS to PLS, dates, chose this flight, clicked on the link to "rules and restrictions", and this is a cut/paste of what pops up:

6:19pm - 12:55pm +1 Flight spans 1 day
United logo
United
Poor Flight (3.3/10)
18h 36m (2 stops) Wi-Fi, Entertainment, and Power information
Departure airport: BOS - ORD - EWR Arrival airport: - PLS
Minus $651- $651
roundtrip
Free cancel within 24 hrsFree Cancel w/in 24 hrs
Select Select this flight and subtract $651 per person from your total package price of $5,754.50
Flight arrives Jan 23; package includes 3 hotel nights instead of 4.
Details & baggage fees Details and baggage fees for result 1
Rules and restrictions apply Result 1.
Seat choiceFee appliesSeat choice Fee applies
Carry-on bagNot allowedCarry-on bag Not allowed
Checked bagFee appliesChecked bag Fee applies
CancellationsNot allowedCancellations Not allowed
ChangesNot allowedChanges Not allowed

Personal itemIncludedPersonal item Included
You may be able to upgrade your fare before checkout
Select this fare

I'd call Expedia and ask what you can do to upgrade your flight. Of all of the big travel companies out there, they are actually quite easy to work with. Good luck!