It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:08 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

You're the only person I know who's mentioned flying in the Mint seats with JetBlue. Do you buy the seat(s) outright, or do you buy regular seat(s) and upgrade them to Mint the night before on line, or at check in the day of your flight? Can this even be done?

Obviously I'm wondering if it is or if it could be less expensive to buy a regular seat and pay a lesser upgrade charge the night before or the day of. :wink:

Any thoughts appreciated.

Posted it here vs. PM in case anyone else was wondering.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:06 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Hi Linda (and others :wink: )

Mint is purchased outright. It is its own category.

I am fortunate enough to be able to wait for a 'good price' (sometimes they run $900 or more, one way ...not for me :shock: ). If you buy the third level JB ticket (is it Flex?) you can change without an added fee...just the price difference. Every Mint ticket I have purchased has been less than Flex . But as I said...I can juggle most of my trips. So if you want to take a chance buy the third level and hope Mint price goes down.
Mint is not offered on every flight...Jet Blue website shows 'where' Mint is offered.
I love it! Easy check in, first to board (and enjoy a beverage while others board :wink: ), luggage is tagged and luggage comes off first (and quickly) and for me it is important when coming to Ar*ba....2 bags, free...weight limit at 70 pounds each. Seats are spacious, comfortable and recline to a flat position. Food is good and you get to choose. Good entertainment choices. Each passenger is given a quality small travel bag with things like toothbrush. toothpaste, eye mask, etc . Designated attendants for the Mint area (16 people) . Traveling in the seat for one...you are in your own cubby! I have traveled in the two seat spot with husband (so that's ok) but also with strangers...no elbows in the way...your own space and lots of it (for a plane).
I have been fortunate to also fly first class on AA and Delta....Mint is sooooo much better!
In typical Ann fashion...more info than you need or want. :lol:
I do hope you get to fly Mint Linda (and others)!

Coach Brian Stone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:59 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks Ann! That was very helpful in understanding.

Good news - the flight "to" is pretty cheap in Mint.
Bad news - the flight "home" is expensive in Mint. Like ridiculously so.

I think I'll do Mint down, and regular home. We will be flying with carry-ons so I'll upgrade the home flight to a preferred seat which will give us a better time boarding.

Speaking of carry-ons - I can't believe what some people consider to be a carry on piece of luggage. So big that I could fit in it. I love it when we board, our two carry ons are up in the bin, and someone with a huge bag tries to move our bags to fit theirs. Yeah....no. Vulcan death glare - don't touch my stuff. Thanks. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:00 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

MuyLinda23 wrote:
Thanks Ann! That was very helpful in understanding.

Good news - the flight "to" is pretty cheap in Mint.
Bad news - the flight "home" is expensive in Mint. Like ridiculously so.

I think I'll do Mint down, and regular home. We will be flying with carry-ons so I'll upgrade the home flight to a preferred seat which will give us a better time boarding.

Speaking of carry-ons - I can't believe what some people consider to be a carry on piece of luggage. So big that I could fit in it. I love it when we board, our two carry ons are up in the bin, and someone with a huge bag tries to move our bags to fit theirs. Yeah....no. Vulcan death glare - don't touch my stuff. Thanks. :wink: :lol:

Vulcan death glare.......... :lol: :lol:
This is what irks me......when people sitting in the back of the plane stick their carry-ons in the bins up front. I feel, if I'm sitting in seat 5B, my bag should be in the bin above my seat. Am I the only one that feels this way? On our flight to MX (JetBlue) someone stuck their bags in MY :lol: :lol: bin. I nicely asked the flight attendant about it. She said, first come, first served. Really? I was :evil: :evil:

March 2019 Playa Del Carmen, MX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:46 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I'm with you Marylou and Linda....however it is getting worse....sorry folks....but there is a large segment of the population raised by people with no manners! I have been known to make comments but my husband and friends have issued a caution :wink: ...you can't fix stupid and you can't fix 'classless'.

Coach Brian Stone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:29 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I agree! My new wheeled carryon splurge is supposed to fit under the seat; I don't really need the leg room :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:03 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

karen1 wrote:
I agree! My new wheeled carryon splurge is supposed to fit under the seat; I don't really need the leg room :wink:

:lol: :wink:

Coach Brian Stone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:20 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

ann wrote:
Hi Linda (and others :wink: )

Easy check in, first to board (and enjoy a beverage while others board :wink: ), luggage is tagged and luggage comes off first (and quickly) and for me it is important when coming to Ar*ba....2 bags, free...weight limit at 70 pounds each. Seats are spacious, comfortable and recline to a flat position. Food is good and you get to choose. Good entertainment choices. Each passenger is given a quality small travel bag with things like toothbrush. toothpaste, eye mask, etc . Designated attendants for the Mint area (16 people) . Traveling in the seat for one...you are in your own cubby! I have traveled in the two seat spot with husband (so that's ok) but also with strangers...no elbows in the way...your own space and lots of it (for a plane).
I have been fortunate to also fly first class on AA and Delta....Mint is sooooo much better!

What is the difference(s) between Delta first class and JB Mint? We fly Delta first class/Delta One all the time and love it. Only time we get individual pods/suites/lie flat seats though are on Europe and Mexico flights since they use newer/larger planes. Otherwise it sounds the same for Aruba flights.

Mexico: March 2018
Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018
Ireland: June/July 2018
36th trip to Aruba: Sept./Oct. 2018
Rome: Nov/Dec. 2018
37th trip to Aruba: Dec. 2018/Jan. 2019

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:55 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Hi Amy....In my experience the service is better on Jet Blue in general and Mint specifically.

Coach Brian Stone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:58 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I agree with you ML, I want my bag either over my head or close by. I blame the airlines for not enforcing the rules more re: boarding in the zone you paid for, and for not having people just put their luggage over their seat vs. in the front of the plane if they are in the back. At times, they certainly don't make it an enjoyable experience.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:24 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

The Mint seating layout is 2-1-2-1-2 port and starboard. We've flown both the 2's and the singles. Once we flew the singles, we'll not go back whenever they are available: the suite is as wide as three regular seats, with the seat positioned in the center of the suite. Talk about no elbowing from passing passengers, the suite seats have a door that can be slid shut once the aircraft is airborne.

Does this cost more? Sure, but we've found it to be worth it for these reasons plus all the same reasons that Ann lists.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:25 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Mint sounds great, don't get it from Pittsburgh :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:39 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ann wrote:
Hi Amy....In my experience the service is better on Jet Blue in general and Mint specifically.

Hi Ann - will we see you in Aruba over New Years Eve?

Will have to try it if the situation ever presents itself. But we have had great service with Delta over many years flying 50k miles a year so will stick with them for now.

To add to the conversation about overhead bin usage....if you are flying Comfort Plus on Delta (their class between first and main cabin) they now designate specific overhead bins for passengers in those seats.

Mexico: March 2018
Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018
Ireland: June/July 2018
36th trip to Aruba: Sept./Oct. 2018
Rome: Nov/Dec. 2018
37th trip to Aruba: Dec. 2018/Jan. 2019

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:51 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Hi Amy...I will be here starting on Dec 31...hope we can get together for at least a drink this trip! :D Same on Mint ...overhead space and they are right there to help those of us who are shorter :wink:

Coach Brian Stone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:48 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I bit the bullet and bought the Mint seats. You only live once. :D

Anguilla bound the end of March. 8) 8)