Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Re: Last November HH!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:15 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks everyone.
Linda, I've pretty much had the last month off and expect to be off basically all of December, so I guess it's a nice break. I sort of know what's next... just not really at liberty to say yet. I'm still struggling w/ part of it. I might even PM you about it sometime soon. I guess you could sort of say it's an HR issue.

Am I ready to retire? No not really. I joke w/ Mike bc for years he told me that if I hadn't insisted on the big house on the lake when we moved here in 2005 that I wouldn't have had to work. So now that we're not in the big house on the lake, I tell him I shouldn't have to work anymore. He laughs backs and says, "well, that was based on me (him) having a job," which technically he doesn't really..... well as of today, I guess that's a bit different, but it's kinda part time and temporary.

Maryanne - am I happy? Happy to be laid off from a job I did well for over 27 years? No, I'm not happy. I probably cry about it on a daily basis, frankly. Am I happy for Mike for signing a 5 month contract - Yes, thrilled for him/us.

As I said in August when this happened... we're okay. We've done well, we've saved a lot, etc. etc. We'll be fine. I've spent the last 2 years (w/ him travelling back and forth to TX) w/ life in limbo, and even though the travel is over... our life is still very much in limbo, and it drives me nuts. I'm a planner, ya know!

Cheers. Friends did stop by for a nice visit. Off to Asheville tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:54 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Hugs DonnaLee...A new chapter in life can be a most exciting adventure.
A life fulfilled is full of " new chapters " :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Oh, Donna, just now reading all of this.
I am so sorry, the limbo feeling is not a good one, especially if you are a planner.
Thinking of you, sending hugs and prayers. Awesome on Mike's contract!
I know you are sad, 28 years is a lifetime! I am thinking of you and maybe we need a ladies day and can meet half way!
All the best to you both!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:01 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Donna, you're always welcome to PM me. I've been out of HR so long that I actually forgot an answer to a question about COBRA the other day from someone quite close to me, and had to look it up for them. :lol: But I remember and can still guide through the basics. Happy to try to help.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:02 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

MuyLinda23 wrote:
Donna, you're always welcome to PM me. I've been out of HR so long that I actually forgot an answer to a question about COBRA the other day from someone quite close to me, and had to look it up for them. :lol: But I remember and can still guide through the basics. Happy to try to help.

Nothing technical like that... I just value your opinion on life's situations and ethical issues.

Thanks everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:23 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

DonnaLee wrote:
Thanks everyone.
Linda, I've pretty much had the last month off and expect to be off basically all of December, so I guess it's a nice break. I sort of know what's next... just not really at liberty to say yet. I'm still struggling w/ part of it. I might even PM you about it sometime soon. I guess you could sort of say it's an HR issue.

Am I ready to retire? No not really. I joke w/ Mike bc for years he told me that if I hadn't insisted on the big house on the lake when we moved here in 2005 that I wouldn't have had to work. So now that we're not in the big house on the lake, I tell him I shouldn't have to work anymore. He laughs backs and says, "well, that was based on me (him) having a job," which technically he doesn't really..... well as of today, I guess that's a bit different, but it's kinda part time and temporary.

Maryanne - am I happy? Happy to be laid off from a job I did well for over 27 years? No, I'm not happy. I probably cry about it on a daily basis, frankly. Am I happy for Mike for signing a 5 month contract - Yes, thrilled for him/us.

As I said in August when this happened... we're okay. We've done well, we've saved a lot, etc. etc. We'll be fine. I've spent the last 2 years (w/ him travelling back and forth to TX) w/ life in limbo, and even though the travel is over... our life is still very much in limbo, and it drives me nuts. I'm a planner, ya know!

Cheers. Friends did stop by for a nice visit. Off to Asheville tomorrow.

Donna, I get it. I had been let go after 5 years of my most favorite job ever. I used to hate Friday's cause I couldn't go to work for 2 days. And I cried every day for months when I left. Until I realized I was collecting unemployment and the world was still turning. It was better then, but I still miss it.