Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Re: Good Sunday all!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:50 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Good Morning!

Temps in the 40's. Surprised with the about of sn*w still on the ground thought all the rain yesterday would of melted it all. More rain tomorrow, that may do it.
J & J spent the night, both left first thing, didn't even have breakfast, miss the old days.

Have a nice day ALL~

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:33 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Tom, what type of research on FL... moving maybe? Please share what you find. Mike appears to be on a major kick to possibly move to the gulf coast.[/quote]

Donna, we are heading down 1/3-1/25 starting with an introduction type week at the villages, then Saint Augustine for 5 days, Ormond Beach area, lake wales area for day or 2, then starting at Tampa heading as far south as time allows. Looking for an active over 55 condo or double wide in a resident owned park to escape to.
Criteria
Medical care
Safety
Affordability
Well maintained property
Distance from airport
Seems like there is more condos and manufactured home parks in Florida than there is people so going town by town researching trying to narrow list of places down. As of right now The Villages, Saint Augustine, Punta Gorda, Bonita Springs are our top areas of interest.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:30 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks Tom. We are considering a similar trip - also in January - days after we both turn 50. So, we're not quite to the 'over 55' neighborhoods, but frankly, they appeal to us. At first I thought Mike was just bored and looking around, but now, I think we're becoming more serious about it. We'd keep the rental house we have here to come home for long periods in the summer, as well as family type holidays - at least while the kids are in still in GA colleges. We've looked a lot (online) in Punta Gorda - mainly the PGI area. We don't feel like we have to be on the beach (I'd almost prefer not), but we'd like water access (canal neighborhoods are neat) and either community or private pool. I think Mike would prefer a house, but I think I'd prefer a condo/duplex. I just want to be able to meet people. I read that average age of PG is 62, but that Port Charlotte and North PC are a bit younger.

Keep me posted!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:52 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

DonnaLee wrote:
Thanks Tom. We are considering a similar trip - also in January - days after we both turn 50. So, we're not quite to the 'over 55' neighborhoods, but frankly, they appeal to us. At first I thought Mike was just bored and looking around, but now, I think we're becoming more serious about it. We'd keep the rental house we have here to come home for long periods in the summer, as well as family type holidays - at least while the kids are in still in GA colleges. We've looked a lot (online) in Punta Gorda - mainly the PGI area. We don't feel like we have to be on the beach (I'd almost prefer not), but we'd like water access (canal neighborhoods are neat) and either community or private pool. I think Mike would prefer a house, but I think I'd prefer a condo/duplex. I just want to be able to meet people. I read that average age of PG is 62, but that Port Charlotte and North PC are a bit younger.

Keep me posted!

Donna, in MA a 55+ needs to be 80% 55+ and the other 20% is up to owner of the development. We were in before Mike was 55. I’m the youngest living there still. :lol: Anyway something to ask about when looking.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:01 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Donna I remember reading as long as it’s not your full time residence you can buy and use before turning 55.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:51 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Afternoon :oops: got a 5 mile run in this morning, great temp for running.
Just finished individually packing the choc PB sandwiches I dipped yesterday, they are to go in Christmas tins for a business.

Book the Tam for next May :):).Thanks Bob for the code, I didn't get the Sunday one for some reason.

Heading out to one of the best restaurants in the area, small family owned & they never advertise as they are so busy. Me & John plus 2 other couples, will be a fun delicious evening :D

Have a great rest of the day

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:00 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Pat7 wrote:
DonnaLee wrote:

Keep me posted!

Donna, in MA a 55+ needs to be 80% 55+ and the other 20% is up to owner of the development. We were in before Mike was 55. I’m the youngest living there still. :lol: Anyway something to ask about when looking.

Yes, Pat. I think it's a federal thing for that status, as I read The Villages, FL, has the same rule. I love the idea of The Villages, but I think we want to be closer to the water.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:51 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

confused1 wrote:
Tom, what type of research on FL... moving maybe? Please share what you find. Mike appears to be on a major kick to possibly move to the gulf coast.

Donna, we are heading down 1/3-1/25 starting with an introduction type week at the villages, then Saint Augustine for 5 days, Ormond Beach area, lake wales area for day or 2, then starting at Tampa heading as far south as time allows. Looking for an active over 55 condo or double wide in a resident owned park to escape to.
Criteria
Medical care
Safety
Affordability
Well maintained property
Distance from airport
Seems like there is more condos and manufactured home parks in Florida than there is people so going town by town researching trying to narrow list of places down. As of right now The Villages, Saint Augustine, Punta Gorda, Bonita Springs are our top areas of interest.[/quote]
----------------------------------------
Interesting. I retired 2 years ago and I'm thinking along these lines also. I own a condo north of Boston and I'm thinking about selling it and renting an apartment and then renting a place in FL for the winter months. Been looking at double-wides. I don't want to own. After reading your posts, I'm hoping I can keep informed of your research. Any way we can start another "forum" within the Swamp regarding warm weather retirement research? I'm also very interested in the Punta Gorda area. Need to get away from this white stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:38 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

cmc wrote:
confused1 wrote:
Tom, what type of research on FL... moving maybe? Please share what you find. Mike appears to be on a major kick to possibly move to the gulf coast.

Criteria
Medical care
Safety
Affordability
Well maintained property
Distance from airport
Seems like there is more condos and manufactured home parks in Florida than there is people so going town by town researching trying to narrow list of places down. As of right now The Villages, Saint Augustine, Punta Gorda, Bonita Springs are our top areas of interest.

----------------------------------------
Interesting. I retired 2 years ago and I'm thinking along these lines also. I own a condo north of Boston and I'm thinking about selling it and renting an apartment and then renting a place in FL for the winter months. Been looking at double-wides. I don't want to own. After reading your posts, I'm hoping I can keep informed of your research. Any way we can start another "forum" within the Swamp regarding warm weather retirement research? I'm also very interested in the Punta Gorda area. Need to get away from this white stuff.[/quote]

Good idea. Pat's been in FL on vacation for a while now. Surely, she has some info too. Maybe just a thread... not sure.