It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:13 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Wow, seeing that Dan joined the bb in 2005 makes me feel even worse that I took so long to join...since I've been reading the board since before he joined! :oops: I started going to AUA in 1986 and went twice with a bunch of girlfriends when we were in our early 20's. Waaayyy different vacation back then. Tommy and I went on our honeymoon in 1999, since I knew he'd love it and we've been back every year since then, extending our vacations to 19 days last year. Next year will be my 23rd trip, Tommy's 21st. 2019 will be our 30th anniv of being together (omg how did that happen so quickly???)...1st date in 1989...so we're going for 3 weeks next year.

I've always admired the relationship everyone has on the bb and finally jumped in last year. I've always been shy, but I guess being behind a keyboard makes you braver?

I'm glad I joined and love hearing the stories of everyone's lives. I look forward to logging in to see what is happening with everyone. I feel like I know each and every one of you and look forward to enjoying life with you, laughing, and even crying with you, over our life experiences. When my mom passed away a few months ago and shared with you all the bad situation with my younger sister, I received some wonderful pm's and emails that really helped me, and let me know I wasn't alone. That was helpful more than you'll ever know.

This Thanksgiving, I sure am thankful for all the wonderful people on this bulletin board, and happy I've "met" you, and would love to meet you in real life.

Stop trying to make everyone happy --- you're not tequila!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:31 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

My best girlfriend Wendy and her hubby Doug always went to this place called Ar@ba. She really wanted Barry and I to come with them. I knew I would hate it and finally gave in and went. Well, I fell in love with the island and found the Swamp. Many months of lurking, finally jumped in. What the heck, who are these people who I have never met, but care about? What is this all about?
Life is good, and so are my Swamp Monkeys!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:39 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Back, before the Swamp, several of us were constantly on Richard's board. Xcraft, Michael, and I bantered back and forth with each other, using perverse frivolity, which became Pervolity. We teased the "newbies" coming to the island and asking such questions, "Will anyone be at the Amsterdam Manor the week of December 1st?" to which we'd reply, "No, apparently no one will be on the island that week." We also pointed out that very few seagull were to be seen because the swamp monkeys (lower case) ate them. We made up stories too numerous to mention. Apparently Richard felt we "might" be detracting from the boards real purpose, and so instead of "sending us to our room," he made a room for us, the Swamp. Thank you Richard!!

Teri McHugh compiled a book/booklet, "Tales from the Swamp" that is really great. Tales of Xcraft chasing Hilda in Liechtenstein. Stories that went on and on, where we would each add a sentence or two. All kinds of things. Maybe we could get some of it reposted here. Not sure where my copy is, but will see if it's labeled on a box in the basement.

Some time after the Swamp was established, Richard had to change systems or something and all of us lost our message count, which were all reset back to zero. Many of us had thousands of comments.

The Swamp is dear to my heart. There have been difficulties at times and some Monkeys have "dropped out" for different reasons, or because of the attraction of other social media. Some of us stay in touch with them in other venues. But the Swamp is a caring and thoughtful community. What a range of life experiences we have shared.

Thank you again Richard for giving us a "home."

Long Live the Swamp!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:50 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I joined the swamp to bug Ronnie.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:03 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Great thread and wonderful responses.
I joined the board in 2003 prior to our first trip and lurked in the Swamp a bit. I don't think I posted prior to that first trip, but I remember the first Monkey parties (stateside). I remember posting and being welcomed... then I stopped posting, but still lurked, and finally jumped back in for good - maybe 2005. I met my first monkey in Arruba 2/06. She's not here anymore.... screen name something like Siki00. She lived in NJ and I think had a donkey in her avatar.

Frankly, sometimes, I think I'm closer to my swamp friends than I am my current town friends.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:21 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Danno wrote:
I joined the swamp to bug Ronnie.

:lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:16 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I forget but glad I did, love you all. Donne Lee I agree closer with swamp friends too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:57 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I was here before there was a Swamp! Like Cap'n Tom said, some of the members were carrying on on the regular Board so Richard created a separate section for us. This is the third or fourth version of this Board since I joined sometime in the 90s.

I have been blessed to have this in my life and have been lucky enough to meet loads of Swamp Monkeys over the years at parties and in A***a. The friendship and support have meant a lot to me and it's still amazing that so many strangers have come together like this. A lot of people are no longer with us or on the Board anymore but the number continues to grow, which is a good thing.

I have a lot of memories with so many of you over the years. Like others, family and friends were concerned about the relationships I have formed here (John was horrified!). But some of them have met some of you and quickly changed their minds. I don't know what I would have done without the Swamp during so many difficult times I have endured the past years. So glad I stumbled in and never left.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:08 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

People must think I'm a little whacked when I talk about so many of my friends and so oh, they're "on line friends". They may get the monkey thing, but then there are quite a few others I've met doing my Ancestry stuff and people that I knew years ago that I reconnected with on Facebook, etc.

RIP SJ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:55 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Our first trip was 99 and I found the board for research.
Always read the swamp and not sure when I joined the swamp, many, many years ago!!

It's a dear place to me and I've met so many monkeys, more to meet hopefully!

First meet up was Arlene (anitashave) and then Christine (Rabbit).
Then since Patti would not come and visit I invited my self up north (who does that?? :shock: :roll: :mrgreen: )
She then came down and stayed at my house along with Rabbit and Arlene.
Linda's family forbade her from that :lol: :lol:

Thank you all and thank you Richard.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:01 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I remember I was sleeping on a bench, and some one came up and tapped me on the shoulder and said " get up you big monkey " :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:00 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Well, I read about this BB from my resort BB and like a few people lurked for awhile. After reading the joy, fun and care for other swampers problems in here I decided to give it a whirl. Never looked back.
This is a great place to get info you can open up about problems and just plain joke around.
I do look forward to someday meet a few of you on the island.
Thank you all for the care, joy and fun.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:11 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

kathy&jim wrote:
Our first trip was 99 and I found the board for research.
Always read the swamp and not sure when I joined the swamp, many, many years ago!!

It's a dear place to me and I've met so many monkeys, more to meet hopefully!

First meet up was Arlene (anitashave) and then Christine (Rabbit).
Then since Patti would not come and visit I invited my self up north (who does that?? :shock: :roll: :mrgreen: )
She then came down and stayed at my house along with Rabbit and Arlene.
Linda's family forbade her from that :lol: :lol:

Thank you all and thank you Richard.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:55 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We hadn't been to Aruba in many years. We decided to go back for a week. I was researching Aruba and stumbled across this forum.
When I would talk about "people in the Swamp" Mario would look at me like I had a thousand heads. :lol:
We have met such warm, wonderful people here and in person.
I agree with DonnaLee, I feel closer to all of you than I do to some of our "friends".
For the record, I refuse to tell certain family members about the swamp.....it's the only place I can b!tch about them if needed. :lol: :lol:

March 2019 Playa Del Carmen, MX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:34 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

MLL66 wrote:
We hadn't been to Aruba in many years. We decided to go back for a week. I was researching Aruba and stumbled across this forum.
When I would talk about "people in the Swamp" Mario would look at me like I had a thousand heads. :lol:
We have met such warm, wonderful people here and in person.
I agree with DonnaLee, I feel closer to all of you than I do to some of our "friends".
For the record, I refuse to tell certain family members about the swamp.....it's the only place I can b!tch about them if needed. :lol: :lol:

:lol: :wink: :lol:

Coach Brian Stone