It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:53 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Me...I did a trip report in 2015, and the rest is history.
My emotion of that trip and so on made me be a part of life as I know it.
Along the way, I have met some really neat people.

My memory goes way beyond this post...In fact if I was being personal ( and I am always )....The swamp has been my comfort zone...Where i can share ME...

I want to Thank Richard, and Wanda, and all of you.
Some times I wonder, some times I just speak, and some times I add to you all.

At the end of our HH...I want you to know ...I care ...You live in Canada, or Chicago, it doesn't matter...I am your Monkey from a far, as you are my. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:02 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I remember the Blue Bar stories. :D I only started being vocal defending my honour when Ronnie brought the Harley to the Webcam and folks thought I had a 'resting bit#h face' :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:03 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Dan You have been in the Swamp looooong before 2015...maybe you mean 2005? I "lurked" for a bit when the Swamp was wild and wooly :wink: Think I had responses that I kept in my head...then jumped in! And once you start meeting people....well for me there was no turning back!

Coach Brian Stone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:15 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I was thinking that as well, Ann. Wasn't 2015, Bro!

I found the board after our first trip to Ar*ba. It was 2004.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:24 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I joined back in 07 before or after a trip to the island. I started lurking after the title caught my eye and I had to check it out. There have been ups and downs, good times, bad times and contentious times. Monkeys came and went, some stayed and some left us for the heavenly swamp. The Swamp and my monkey friends are a daily part of my life and I am happy that you are all in it.

RIP SJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:34 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I lurked for a while too. Some guy with white shorts hooked me. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:02 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Pat7 wrote:
I lurked for a while too. Some guy with white shorts hooked me. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yay..2005,been 13 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:48 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I came the BB many years ago looking for info & to talk about the island. I lurked in the swamp for a few years just reading but not posting as I didn't want in intrude. Then one day I posted & found an amazing group of supportive friends. :D :D
If I had know before what I know now I would have joined the swamp a lot sooner.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:14 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Pammy wrote:
I came the BB many years ago looking for info & to talk about the island. I lurked in the swamp for a few years just reading but not posting as I didn't want in intrude. Then one day I posted & found an amazing group of supportive friends. :D :D
If I had know before what I know now I would have joined the swamp a lot sooner.

Could be my story!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:35 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

My avatar says 2005 but I am sure it was before that. I say that as we started going each year to @ruba every October starting in '93 and a few years after that I remember looking for sites with @ruba info and would participate in Eddy's online chats when he would have them. I did have to re-register once for some reason and that may have been the 2005 date if that rings a bell with anyone else. (The Swamp was closed down for a while as I recall.) I have an old photo somewhere of a BB party at the Pirate's Nest at Bucuti where I met Suzi, Frank & Susan Hudak who are also owners at Costa Linda who I see each year in October which I know pre-dates 2005.

The BB itself was so chock full of info for @rubaholics and became quite addicting even for those who went every year. Always new info to help with planning the next trip. When Madame Janette's first opened I heard about it in the BB and when we were on the island it was so new the taxi driver didn't know where it was. The people posting were so eager to help and still are.

I forget how I jumped into the Swamp as I was mainly using the BB info. But very happy I did. It is a great place with great people!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:59 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I think Pammy summed it up. I got on the BB for info about AUA, then lurked a bit, I was curious about this "swamp"...what the heck is that? Then I too, felt like and outsider, not wanting to intrude on the discourse....but something made me jump in and so glad I did! It is still very hard to explain to anyone the genuine friendship, feelings, emotions, what ever you want to call it....for a complete stranger that you may have never met...but I can tell you I have laughed, I have cried right here over my keyboard many times for monkeys I may have never met, maybe will never meet, but maybe I will? you never know. I am honored to be part of this amazing group of funny, caring, supportive people. If I need a laugh, I know I can come to the swamp. If I need to vent, I know I can come to the swamp. If I need advice, I can come to the swamp. If I need a shoulder to cry on, want to share good news, sad news, uplifting story I heard....I always want to share it with y'all! Thank you for always being here for me and I hope I can always be here for you. We talked about this at the BB happy hour.....at my age, I fully understand that I am not everyone's cup of tea....some people are just coffee drinkers.....that you can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and some people just don't like peaches...and that is ok. For those of you who tolerate me, put up with me, encourage me, understand me. I thank you! We all need to find our own tribe. Thank you for being some of mine. Hugs to all!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:06 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Sorry my story is not as compelling as others, my sign in says 2005 but I think I was mostly in the Q&A section back then starting trouble :lol: I came into the Swamp to get a free trip if we filled an airplane and we almost did it, came in 3rd :lol: I actually had people PM'ing me wanting to fly in first class thinking we were going to win! :lol:

Last edited by ronnieb on Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:10 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Wow Carolina! Your description is very touching. A nice summary and something I may use to explain "US" to others!

Coach Brian Stone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:12 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ann wrote:
Wow Carolina! Your description is very touching. A nice summary and something I may use to explain "US" to others!

Ditto...I sooooo agree!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:39 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I joined the board because we were frequent Aruba travelers back then; can't remember when I started following the Swamp. Maybe six months or so after?

I love that this is a "safe space" to vent, share, ask for opinions, and I love that I have met many of you in real life. My first meeting was with Kat, Patti, Arlene and Christine in 2007 (I believe) and Alyssa was absolutely horrified that I was meeting strangers from the internet. :lol:

So many people have come in here as strangers and have become friends, some have left the board on their own, one or two have been shown the door ( :lol: ), and sadly we've had some who have passed on that we miss dearly :(