The Aruba Forums
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here



CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:33 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:13 pm
Posts: 26627
Location: Long Island
New faucet put in the morning and this afternoon George notices that the float in the toilet is disintegrating. He's off to Home Depot again for new parts. I think he can handle this one.

_________________
Laura

RIP SJ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:42 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:25 pm
Posts: 4244
Location: Central Florida
Home Depot or Lowes.....our special "date" place! I always get nervous when DH touches plumbing. He is a licensed electrician.

_________________
Keep your hands to yourself. Leave other people's things alone. Be kind to one another.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:45 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:13 pm
Posts: 26627
Location: Long Island
Maryanne wrote:
Home Depot or Lowes.....our special "date" place! I always get nervous when DH touches plumbing. He is a licensed electrician.


Yeah, sh!t happens, especially in older houses.

_________________
Laura

RIP SJ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:21 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 1:36 pm
Posts: 9137
Location: Bayville NJ
that sounds like an easy fix. our flappers need to be replaced pretty often, i know its time when i see little black specs floating in the bowl :shock:

_________________
Linda

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:36 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:32 pm
Posts: 7221
Location: Salina, Kansas
If there is a toilet problem here, I put all new innards in the tank and be done with it.

_________________
Tara

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:41 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:13 pm
Posts: 26627
Location: Long Island
There are many different types of toilet innards.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pl ... 5yc1vZc69l

_________________
Laura

RIP SJ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:19 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:49 am
Posts: 4937
Location: Tampa Bay Area FL
Every type of repair and how to step by step D-I-Y is on Youtube from simple and complex. Home Depot and Loew's have videos as well.

Some of the repair solutuions have been adapted by the manufacturers performed by novices. Why didn't they think when designing.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:49 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:13 pm
Posts: 26627
Location: Long Island
CaribRJ wrote:
Every type of repair and how to step by step D-I-Y is on Youtube from simple and complex. Home Depot and Loew's have videos as well.

Some of the repair solutuions have been adapted by the manufacturers performed by novices. Why didn't they think when designing.


Yes, George made a few repairs following Google and YouTube. Dishwasher was leaking and Googling the problem gave us a solution and he fixed the ice machine by following a YouTube video. Saved a few $$$

_________________
Laura

RIP SJ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:01 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 1:36 pm
Posts: 9137
Location: Bayville NJ
the first place i go to see how to fix stuff is youtube. it is amazing how much you can do yourself when you can watch exactly how its done.

_________________
Linda

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:10 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:13 pm
Posts: 26627
Location: Long Island
lindaspooky wrote:
the first place i go to see how to fix stuff is youtube. it is amazing how much you can do yourself when you can watch exactly how its done.


He did the faucet last time (abt. 8 years ago) but couldn't get into position under the sink and the nut was hard to get at. It's rare that he decides to call someone in for something he thinks he can do.

_________________
Laura

RIP SJ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:49 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:47 am
Posts: 389
Location: CT Shore
Success! I finally got that !@#$ plastic nut off tonight! It only took me about 1/2 hour. I was a woman on a mission and wasn't coming out from under that sink til it was off. I tried channel lock pliers, which didn't catch on the nut since all 4 tabs had cracked off. Then I tried cracking it off by drilling it with a new 3/8" drill bit. I made holes but it wouldn't crack. :x Finally got it to budge by lining up a flathead screwdriver on the edge of one of the holes and tapped it loose with a hammer. I looked like a lunatic when I was done! I had on a sundress and my hair up in a pony tail, wearing clear safety goggles over my glasses so nothing got in my eyes while I was drilling. I looked in the mirror and was covered in little pieces of plastic that flew around while I drilled. The worst part is...there's another sink. :lol:

Laura, I sympathize with George about getting under the sink. I have bruises on my left side from leaning on the lip of the cabinet. I forgot to mention the cut on my nose from dropping one of the tools on it!! :oops: But I haven't had to call a plumber yet.

_________________
Kristin

Stop trying to make everyone happy --- you're not tequila!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:24 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:32 pm
Posts: 7221
Location: Salina, Kansas
Good for you! Where there's a will, there's a way...my motto

_________________
Tara

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:56 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:04 pm
Posts: 18814
Good for you Kristen, my new flapper is still in the bag, it's on the to do list...Shaggy was also good for DIY advice.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:39 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:50 am
Posts: 7340
Location: Mass.
Kristin try using patio furniture cushions to lay on really helps with that lip.

_________________
tom & karen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:08 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:13 pm
Posts: 26627
Location: Long Island
beachgirl612 wrote:
Success! I finally got that !@#$ plastic nut off tonight! It only took me about 1/2 hour. I was a woman on a mission and wasn't coming out from under that sink til it was off. I tried channel lock pliers, which didn't catch on the nut since all 4 tabs had cracked off. Then I tried cracking it off by drilling it with a new 3/8" drill bit. I made holes but it wouldn't crack. :x Finally got it to budge by lining up a flathead screwdriver on the edge of one of the holes and tapped it loose with a hammer. I looked like a lunatic when I was done! I had on a sundress and my hair up in a pony tail, wearing clear safety goggles over my glasses so nothing got in my eyes while I was drilling. I looked in the mirror and was covered in little pieces of plastic that flew around while I drilled. The worst part is...there's another sink. :lol:

Laura, I sympathize with George about getting under the sink. I have bruises on my left side from leaning on the lip of the cabinet. I forgot to mention the cut on my nose from dropping one of the tools on it!! :oops: But I haven't had to call a plumber yet.


Too bad you didn't have that videoed. We could have put it on YouTube showing what can go wrong when you DIY. I'm glad you got it done. We really should replace the faucet in the bathroom too. If you don't shut it off correctly, the water drips and runs along the counter top. Last time I did this water ran down to the ceiling of the new bathroom below and bubbled. It happened again last night, but I have a little towel rack next to the edge with folded towels and it looks like they absorbed the water...thank God.

_________________
Laura

RIP SJ


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], yiayiaandpepere and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group