It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:33 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

New faucet put in the morning and this afternoon George notices that the float in the toilet is disintegrating. He's off to Home Depot again for new parts. I think he can handle this one.

RIP SJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:42 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Home Depot or Lowes.....our special "date" place! I always get nervous when DH touches plumbing. He is a licensed electrician.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:45 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Maryanne wrote:
Home Depot or Lowes.....our special "date" place! I always get nervous when DH touches plumbing. He is a licensed electrician.

Yeah, sh!t happens, especially in older houses.

RIP SJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:21 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

that sounds like an easy fix. our flappers need to be replaced pretty often, i know its time when i see little black specs floating in the bowl :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:36 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

If there is a toilet problem here, I put all new innards in the tank and be done with it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:41 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

There are many different types of toilet innards.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pl ... 5yc1vZc69l

RIP SJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:19 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Every type of repair and how to step by step D-I-Y is on Youtube from simple and complex. Home Depot and Loew's have videos as well.

Some of the repair solutuions have been adapted by the manufacturers performed by novices. Why didn't they think when designing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:49 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

CaribRJ wrote:
Every type of repair and how to step by step D-I-Y is on Youtube from simple and complex. Home Depot and Loew's have videos as well.

Some of the repair solutuions have been adapted by the manufacturers performed by novices. Why didn't they think when designing.

Yes, George made a few repairs following Google and YouTube. Dishwasher was leaking and Googling the problem gave us a solution and he fixed the ice machine by following a YouTube video. Saved a few $$$

RIP SJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:01 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

the first place i go to see how to fix stuff is youtube. it is amazing how much you can do yourself when you can watch exactly how its done.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:10 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

lindaspooky wrote:
the first place i go to see how to fix stuff is youtube. it is amazing how much you can do yourself when you can watch exactly how its done.

He did the faucet last time (abt. 8 years ago) but couldn't get into position under the sink and the nut was hard to get at. It's rare that he decides to call someone in for something he thinks he can do.

RIP SJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:49 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Success! I finally got that !@#$ plastic nut off tonight! It only took me about 1/2 hour. I was a woman on a mission and wasn't coming out from under that sink til it was off. I tried channel lock pliers, which didn't catch on the nut since all 4 tabs had cracked off. Then I tried cracking it off by drilling it with a new 3/8" drill bit. I made holes but it wouldn't crack. :x Finally got it to budge by lining up a flathead screwdriver on the edge of one of the holes and tapped it loose with a hammer. I looked like a lunatic when I was done! I had on a sundress and my hair up in a pony tail, wearing clear safety goggles over my glasses so nothing got in my eyes while I was drilling. I looked in the mirror and was covered in little pieces of plastic that flew around while I drilled. The worst part is...there's another sink. :lol:

Laura, I sympathize with George about getting under the sink. I have bruises on my left side from leaning on the lip of the cabinet. I forgot to mention the cut on my nose from dropping one of the tools on it!! :oops: But I haven't had to call a plumber yet.

Stop trying to make everyone happy --- you're not tequila!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:24 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Good for you! Where there's a will, there's a way...my motto

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:56 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Good for you Kristen, my new flapper is still in the bag, it's on the to do list...Shaggy was also good for DIY advice.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:39 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Kristin try using patio furniture cushions to lay on really helps with that lip.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:08 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

beachgirl612 wrote:
Success! I finally got that !@#$ plastic nut off tonight! It only took me about 1/2 hour. I was a woman on a mission and wasn't coming out from under that sink til it was off. I tried channel lock pliers, which didn't catch on the nut since all 4 tabs had cracked off. Then I tried cracking it off by drilling it with a new 3/8" drill bit. I made holes but it wouldn't crack. :x Finally got it to budge by lining up a flathead screwdriver on the edge of one of the holes and tapped it loose with a hammer. I looked like a lunatic when I was done! I had on a sundress and my hair up in a pony tail, wearing clear safety goggles over my glasses so nothing got in my eyes while I was drilling. I looked in the mirror and was covered in little pieces of plastic that flew around while I drilled. The worst part is...there's another sink. :lol:

Laura, I sympathize with George about getting under the sink. I have bruises on my left side from leaning on the lip of the cabinet. I forgot to mention the cut on my nose from dropping one of the tools on it!! :oops: But I haven't had to call a plumber yet.

Too bad you didn't have that videoed. We could have put it on YouTube showing what can go wrong when you DIY. I'm glad you got it done. We really should replace the faucet in the bathroom too. If you don't shut it off correctly, the water drips and runs along the counter top. Last time I did this water ran down to the ceiling of the new bathroom below and bubbled. It happened again last night, but I have a little towel rack next to the edge with folded towels and it looks like they absorbed the water...thank God.

RIP SJ