All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Vancouver and Calgary
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I don’t remember if I asked this before 8) :lol: have any of you been to either of these cities? We have an extra day in both for our upcoming trip.

RIP SJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:20 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I'm sure a lot has changed since the '80's...I'm meeting a former SIL on Monday that moved to Calgary, I haven't seen her for about 30 years.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:35 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

karen1 wrote:
I'm sure a lot has changed since the '80's...I'm meeting a former SIL on Monday that moved to Calgary, I haven't seen her for about 30 years.

Enjoy your visit. We’ll probably take a city tour of Vancouver. Haven’t looked much at Calgary.

RIP SJ

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:36 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Been to Vancouver , Stanley park is nice & we rode up to Grouse mountain on a sky ride thing , view was beautiful ! This was a few years ago .
Deb.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:43 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We did Stanley Park too, probably too much walking, beautiful though. A city tour may be your best bet for one day. I'll try and remember to ask Betty what she recommends for 1 day visit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:56 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

karen1 wrote:
We did Stanley Park too, probably too much walking, beautiful though. A city tour may be your best bet for one day. I'll try and remember to ask Betty what she recommends for 1 day visit.

George can’t walk too much so I was looking at a 4 hour city tour and/or a dinner cruise. We’re at the Four Seasons Hotel for two nights.

RIP SJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:17 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We went to both years ago...flew to Calgary...there was a Stampede rodeo thing going on. The stadium looked like a giant saddle. Neither of us care for rodeos. The window fronts all had hand drawn rodeo posters. We drove to Banff and rode the gondola to the top of a mountain. That would be something fun to do for sight seeing. They had a restaurant up there. Also a long stair way hike for fun. My husband said no way.

Then we drove to Vancouver and just walked around. I remember eating lots of salmon. We drove onto a ferry and rode it over to Victoria BC... a little over an hour? Beautiful gardens. They had busses driving around that you could hop on and off when you wanted. We enjoyed that. When you're land locked liked me, a ferry ride or anything involving oceans is fantastic.

The drive from Banff to Vancouver was the most beautiful drive I've ever been on through the Rockies. A stream on the right was flowing to the east until we went across the continental divide...then it was flowing to the west...cool!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:59 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

sunflower wrote:
We went to both years ago...flew to Calgary...there was a Stampede rodeo thing going on. The stadium looked like a giant saddle. Neither of us care for rodeos. The window fronts all had hand drawn rodeo posters. We drove to Banff and rode the gondola to the top of a mountain. That would be something fun to do for sight seeing. They had a restaurant up there. Also a long stair way hike for fun. My husband said no way.

Then we drove to Vancouver and just walked around. I remember eating lots of salmon. We drove onto a ferry and rode it over to Victoria BC... a little over an hour? Beautiful gardens. They had busses driving around that you could hop on and off when you wanted. We enjoyed that. When you're land locked liked me, a ferry ride or anything involving oceans is fantastic.

The drive from Banff to Vancouver was the most beautiful drive I've ever been on through the Rockies. A stream on the right was flowing to the east until we went across the continental divide...then it was flowing to the west...cool!

We're going to Banff a part of the tour. Glad to hear it's a beautiful drive. We'll be in Vancouver, Lake Louise, Jasper, Banff, Kamloops, Calgary. I think the stampede was in July.

RIP SJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:02 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Hitting all the top spots Laura, Banff, Jasper, Lake Louise, Kamloops, not sure what Calgary is doing in there, must be the starting/ending point :wink: . We did the ferry to Vancouver Island to visit my brother in Campbell River. Were you the only non Asian on the ferry Tara? Yeah we had salmon, 5 second (10 min) rule :lol: I'm the one pointing (it was my birthday and I had 10 too many :lol: . I hate Bacardi, maybe this is why, I still eat salmon :lol: (Just testing my scanning capabilities - it works!)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:17 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Love it Karen. Yes, Calgary is the end pointed. Tacked on an extra day beginning and end. Looks like Vancouver has a lot to offer. Not sure about Calgary. We may end up just chhillin’.

RIP SJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:03 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

https://www.calgarytower.com
She said dinner in the tower and my nephew said the Calgary Zoo
https://www.calgaryzoo.com
and your money would be spent :wink:

I think you have Vancouver covered, we never got there in the conversation :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:08 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I think the thing we found the most 'weird' about Calgary and Edmonton, there is no history; modern day development.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:08 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Karen you look about 14 in that picture
How old were you?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:11 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

kathy&jim wrote:
Karen you look about 14 in that picture
How old were you?

I was married, I can see my wedding rings :lol: I'm not sure without more effort than I am willing to expend right now in the heat :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:35 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I was 24