All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: What do you think?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:49 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

My boss sent an email out asking us store managers how to increase sales, margins, gross profits ect..... for an upcoming meeting he will be attending where he has to do a dog and pony show, here's what I sent him, do you think he will use it or not? I already have his response. A TM is outside territory manager (Sales person) I didn't spellcheck before I sent it so excuse the spelling :lol:

How to improve sales, margins, and profits.

For whatever reason, Acme co does not acknowledge their branch managers and inside sales people as sales people like they do their TM's. TM's are expected to get sales and numbers and get paid a commission for doing that. Why are at least the branch managers not getting the same? They are responsible for their store numbers and sales growth and margins and see nothing in return? A few examples, In my store, I have about 4 customers that are close to me and are strictly walk in, all sales generated are walk in sales. TM NEVER goes to these accounts unless I ask him or her too. Who's reaping the benefits? The TM gets the commissions. Does this make sense? My biggest customer would rather call me or email me than deal with the TM. The inside people do all the work for this big customer and who gets the reward, the TM, does that make sense? These are just a few examples, but what I'm trying to say is show the same respect for the inside sales people or at least the branch manager as a TM and do the right thing and watch the numbers and margins soar!!! As of now, there is no incentive for the branch managers, give them an incentive and watch!

Post subject: Re: What do you think?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:12 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Hi Ronnie

You are definitely highlighting an area that needs some consideration in your organization. Granted it will decrease commission to the TM but it will more fairly distribute it to the other areas that are more deserving. There appears to be a need for some fine tuning and reorganization of the commissions for sure. And yes that will be one heck of an incentive and be a win win for the company too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:18 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Very good points, Ronnie. I hope they take your thoughts under advisement.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:07 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Well thank you to the 2 people that responded out of the 98 lurkers that looked at it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:20 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ronnieb wrote:
Well thank you to the 2 people that responded out of the 98 lurkers that looked at it.

:lol: :lol:

Good points. Everyone will go the extra mile if there is an incentive to do so. Of course money is the best incentive but other types of rewards can be go too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:46 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I'm a firm believer in rewarding employees that go the extra mile, if customers are going to you directly your the asset and should be given just compensation.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:58 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Pat7 wrote:
ronnieb wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Good points. Everyone will go the extra mile if there is an incentive to do so. Of course money is the best incentive but other types of rewards can be go too.

I know most of the people here in the Swamp don't work or have a real job 9-5 :lol: Glad to get 2 responses :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:40 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Hi Ron,
Very similar situation at the place I used to work. The company was always on us to sell support contracts to our customers for phone support and on site hardware coverage. (I was in retail technology...think point of sale systems in grocery stores and restaurants) All of the commission went directly to the branch manager...none of it went to the guys doing the phone support or running the service calls. The guys on the front lines, whom the customers trusted most and were in direct contact with on a weekly basis, were lucky to get an atta boy when they sold a contract. With no incentive whatsoever....why would they put forth any effort to sell? It's all effin' greed...they want it all. Pisses me off to think about it.
Hope your company is open to considering the points you made...but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Good luck buddy.

Danno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:43 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Oh Ronnie! :wink: :lol: I read but did not respond because I read it on my phone at airport and do not like to type on phone or ipad....too many mistakes! Anyhow, IMHO your points are valid and specific. Those who do the work should get the reward. And if rewarded there is great incentive to hustle a bit more. I also support compensation for a job well done. I know it is how the 'system' works but.....if the store managers are bringing in the business then they should receive compensation...the TM's should not automatically get all the reward and store manager none.

Coach Brian Stone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:06 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Lurker here :wink: I read and thought, so glad I'm not working :lol: have to agree with you though; if you are going to push me for an answer :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:03 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We were on the road all day. They seem like good points Ronnie, but there are several methods of compensating employees. Salary, bonuses and in the case of salespeople commissions. Maybe their salaries and bonuses are lower and income is based more on commissions. Hard to know in your particular case.

RIP SJ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:09 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

You are right Ronnie!
Sales people in most companies get everything even though the inside people do all the work afterwards
A lot of upper management would say don’t like it, get another job
Your upper management likes the work you do so I hope they take it as a valid imput!
Even if they did it as quarterly bonuses in addition to yearly.

But I bet he doesn’t use it because it would upset the apple cart

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:29 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubalova wrote:
We were on the road all day. They seem like good points Ronnie, but there are several methods of compensating employees. Salary, bonuses and in the case of salespeople commissions. Maybe their salaries and bonuses are lower and income is based more on commissions. Hard to know in your particular case.

Just coming across this, Laura's response is valid. To assess, I'd want to know every "body" of the entity, table of organization,
authorities, duties, compensation structures, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:02 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ronnie, there's no reason an inside person shouldn't get a piece of the pie if they are generating and maintaining business. my company is small, only 3 of us actually working full time and i am the only real sales person. We are all on full salary so there's no incentive. Years ago my boss arranged for me to also get a percentage of the profit for any sale in my division, an incentive that i take full advantage of. the others can probably ask for something too but they don't want to work for it

Even if its not a company wide policy you may be able to make some kind of commission deal for the accounts you personally service. If I remember correctly you brought a good amount of business with you when you joined the company. you should be compensated for it. I don't think its an unreasonable request.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:17 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

So what was his answer Ronnie?