It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:13 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th of July! Here is some interesting information I've compiled about my 5th great-grandfather worth reading (You will recognize some names…). David Strauss (Strauss/Strouse) and his wife Anna Marie Philipina Roscher immigrated to Pennsylvania from what was to be Germany in 1765 on the ship "The Betsy". His marriage record in 1761 identifies David as a musketeer in the service of Captain Herr Carl von Steprodt who gave him permission to marry. Carl von Steprodt was described as Hauptman (Captain) with the 1st Regiment and Battalion of Orange-Nassau. (The part of Germany that was controlled by the Dutch at the time, so David was a "Dutch Musketeer!") David Strauss is listed as a Captain under Col. Daniel Hunter in January 1777. Hunter’s battalion was involved in the crossing of the Delaware River at the Battle of Trenton on Christmas Day 1776. Records show David served with the Berks County Militia as a company commander. He was appointed to Colonel by George Washington. A 1901 newspaper article about Christine Strauss Stroh states that she helped serve General Washington breakfast on the morning of the Battle of Brandywine in late 1777, while visiting at the home of a family friend. The Militia from Berks County stayed in service with General Washington until he moved to his winter camp at Valley Forge in December 1777. Because they were close to home, the Berks County Militiamen were able to go home when the Continental Army went into winter quarters and therefore did not endure the hard winter of 1777-1778 at Valley Forge with General Washington. David Strauss was a musician and a chorister in the German Lutheran Church. After the war he settled down to quiet farm life in Northampton County. Interestingly, I have a photo of David’s grandson Jonas, with my grandfather Ralph Crothers. Jonas was born in 1800 and died a few days after his 100th birthday in 1900. He was one of the original Indiana pioneers, driving an ox cart from Pennsylvania in the mid 1830’s to Noble County in the northeastern corner of the state. I have photocopies of his two land deeds totaling 320 acres signed personally by President Martin Van Buren.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:46 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

That's 8) 8) All four of my grandparents immigrated to NY in the early 1900's but I'm sure there were relatives in the country earlier, they're just playing hard to get. :lol:

RIP SJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:59 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Interesting Tom...great to have photocopies and the information!

Coach Brian Stone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:44 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

wow tom, very interesting. i watch that show "who do you think you are" and would love to find out my history. we have alot of conflicting stories about my fathers side from my mothers side. we are told we are 100% polish on both side sides but now know there's some russian mixed in. They didn't come over early enough to be part of US history.

my dads grandmother was born on the borderline of poland and russia. we don't know anything about her parents except her mother was russian and father polish. married in poland and had 6 kids (twin girls died of pneumona). boys were brought up polish and the girls russian. both my grandmother and her sister were fluent in russian but they never acknowledged it as russians treated poles badly. My great great uncle and his brother also spoke russian and ukraine, again never acknowledged as the family considered it lower class.

my great grandmother left all her kids behind and came to the US. she was a small woman and lied about her age and so she didn't have to pay adult passage. on record she was born 6/13/1894 she died 10/25/1978, because she lied we don't know exactly how old she was but we believe at least 100. I loved spending time with her. I still have her small change purse with the change in it that she used to buy us ice cream. At some point my grandmother came over and brought all her brothers and sisters over too.

I wish I would have asked more questions, my aunt and most of my dad cousins are still alive, I really should contact them and see what else they know

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:16 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Very interesting details on your family history, Tom. Yours as well, Linda.

I love this stuff and need to get "digging" again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:01 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

lindaspooky wrote:
wow tom, very interesting. i watch that show "who do you think you are" and would love to find out my history. we have alot of conflicting stories about my fathers side from my mothers side. we are told we are 100% polish on both side sides but now know there's some russian mixed in. They didn't come over early enough to be part of US history.

my dads grandmother was born on the borderline of poland and russia. we don't know anything about her parents except her mother was russian and father polish. married in poland and had 6 kids (twin girls died of pneumona). boys were brought up polish and the girls russian. both my grandmother and her sister were fluent in russian but they never acknowledged it as russians treated poles badly. My great great uncle and his brother also spoke russian and ukraine, again never acknowledged as the family considered it lower class.

my great grandmother left all her kids behind and came to the US. she was a small woman and lied about her age and so she didn't have to pay adult passage. on record she was born 6/13/1894 she died 10/25/1978, because she lied we don't know exactly how old she was but we believe at least 100. I loved spending time with her. I still have her small change purse with the change in it that she used to buy us ice cream. At some point my grandmother came over and brought all her brothers and sisters over too.

I wish I would have asked more questions, my aunt and most of my dad cousins are still alive, I really should contact them and see what else they know

I'd suggest taking a DNA test and definitely ask the relatives the questions now...you'll kick yourself in the future if you decide to do research. I can do some lookups for you if you're interested - I've got an Ancestry worldwide subscription.

RIP SJ