It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:15 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We used to do these types of threads, but we haven't had one for a while - and some new monkeys have joined us since then. Please share what you do/did for a living, or how you keep/kept the house running while your SO does/did something. Share about your SO if you want to too. :D I know a lot of us know what others do, but not all of us. I hope you'll join in.

I've worked for the same company, since I graduated college. We plan military reunions and conferences, but we specialize in veterans reunions. I've been an Event Planner, Director of Event Planning, and Sr. Event Planner. From 1993-2009 I planned reunions and supervised the others, but I asked to give up the supervisory role eventually. I've bounced bt full and part time for years and now sort of part time (flex time). I've had a home office since 1996 when hubby started climbing the career ladder and took a job in AL. It's been great for raising our boys, as my bosses (husband/wife owners) have always been very flexible with me. I work with chairmen to plan the itinerary & draft the registration form, book all things related to the tours, plan menus, provide final accountings, and oversee the large events onsite. etc. etc.

Mike has a career in IT - started out in testing software, managing developers, and for the last 13 years has run the IT department for what was the largest trailer (utility/cargo) manufacturer in the country and has grown to the largest conglomerate of trailer manufacturers under one big company. First company sold to private equity - who bought more companies. Then it sold to a bigger private equity firm who bought more companies. His lifetime career goal was to be a CIO, and he achieved it in 2016 after being called a VP of Information since around 2008.

Your turn.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:37 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I'm game!
I am a stay at home mom now, working part time for my sister's Guardian company, doing accounting.
My previous life BK, before kids, I worked in the overseas transportation sector. I worked for Sea-Land, where I met Ken, then moved over to Lykes Lines, selling space on container ships, mostly to Europe, the Mediterranean and Africa. I took a lot of logistics classes in college, so it was a good fit. I got to travel a good bit. I miss interacting with adults :lol: :lol: but I don't miss how "good ol' boy" my industry was. This whole "me too" thing is very fitting for some of the crap I had to put up with over the years from men both inside my company and my customers. I love geography and miss that part of my old sales job.
Now I do accounting work for my sister's company. She is the legal guardian for about 1,000 elderly. We keep up with their bank accounts, pay their bills, make sure they get all the benefits they are entitled to, take care of their estates and execute their final wishes when the time comes.

Ken is in Logistics Software, PO management, dealing with overseas shipping. His job is based in Issaquah, Washington, but we live in the metro Atlanta area. He can work from anywhere there is an Int'l airport. That is about it.

Thanks for posting Donna! How fun!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:04 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Good idea Donna, it has been a long time. I'm a born and bred Long Island girl. My career began as a secretary right out of high school. Worked a year for BBDO, a large advertising firm in Manhattan. Once I started taking night classes at the local community college I found a new job on Long Island. That company was Endo Labs which was a division of DuPont when I began in 1972. Went through night school, the company changed names along the way - Endo-DuPont Pharmaceuticals-DuPont Merck-BMS and I had several different positions over the next 32 years. Lot's of fun times over the years with an early retirement in 2004 when the plant was closed.

George is my significant other. We've been together many years but never married and I don't see that changing :lol: Met him at DuPont when he was in pharmaceutical research. He's got a PhD in pharmaceuticals.

Began travelling a few years after I started working. I've been to Ireland a few times, England, Scotland, Wales, Italy, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, St. Petersburg, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Amsterdam, Aruba, etc. We're not doing too much travel these days since George has been having some spinal stenosis issues but we have planned a trip to the Canadian Rockies in August.

I took up golf when I retired in 2004 and I'm still waiting and hoping that this is the year I will begin to score well :lol: I consider myself athletic, though I was never really good at any sport. Still work out at the gym and run a few miles on the treadmill. I began volunteering at the local cat shelter two years ago and absolutely love it. I guess I could have given you the abridged version, but it's winter time and I have alot of free time on my hands.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Got laid off in 1982, started a small construction business which evolved into a maintenance business. Our greatest accomplishment has been providing employment opportunities for inner city at risk youth and young adults. I am now semi retired.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:31 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

This is a fun thread, omg, i have had many diversified jobs.

My first "official" job in 1980 was a cust serv rep at L'Oreal. From there I went to an company that distributed OTC products. started as cust service and ended up being their QC inspector. most memorable part of this job, riding in the garbage truck into the dump and standing outside while they dumped and covered the expired drugs.

next up Downeys Original Cake co as a cust serv rep. it was a small company so when they were testing new recipes we were the guinea pigs. yup, tasting alcohol soaked cakes, jim beam, irish whiskey, amaretto, and various other liquors. some work days were interesting!

in 1988 i ended up at a paper/plastic company where i was the admin asst to the marketing directors (my current boss). learned the business from the bottom up including extruding and manufacturing.

that company closed and my boss at the time said he was putting something together in manhattan and would offer me a position as soon as he settled. I took a 6 month job as admin asst to the ceo of what was then first fidelity bank. that was a sweet job. executive floor, security guard stationed at the entrance, flowers on our desks. fully staffed kitchen with servers and chefs that waited on us hand and foot. they loved when i came in "under the weather" from a night out. had a nice greasy breakfast for me. there were 2 other execs and their admins on that floor and one was Bill Parcels brother. they all had cars and drivers.

in 92 my old boss called and I ended up working on park ave in the city. the same position i have now. sales / marketing for a distributor that supplies film and sheet to the marine/industrial fabric industries (boat windows, tents, awnings, warehouse door strips) I started in the graphic arts division but as that and the company downsized we kind of became one. I am solely responsible for the graphic arts side (plastic for packaging, check books, diaries, calendars, binders, nursery/auto tags) i handle all sales, purchasing, logistics. I now handle the sales and marketing for the marine division. And yes I am also IT. the company downsized and moved to long island and now i work from home.

I did some part time modeling from 88 to the mid 90's. mostly fashion shows, a couple of hair magazines, yankee opening day parties, etc. my best job was a week in hawaii for redken.

Kenny is my S/O our first date was in 1987, we've been living together since 94. not married, my choice :D He was a crane operator for local 825 operating engineers for 42 years retiring in 2004. he now does the laundry, takes care of the outside of the house and criticizes my cooking.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:35 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Linda LOL - Kenny's new job.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:41 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Starting my 5th year being retired. Keeping Buddy and I healthy and happy is what I do now. Like the Cap'n, none of my ex's live in Texas.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:10 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I guess I have trouble sticking with one thing/one job... I graduated with my 1st degree from college the same weekend in August 1969 as Woodstock.....
Several months as Asst Personal Mgr for Kent Moore Corp in Jackson, MI, then a couple months as an engineering designer in Warren, MI I designed the clutch-adjusting tool for the Chevy Vega... and GM bought 6,000 of them.
Then I got drafted and spent 2 years in the Army, ending as a SGT in the Special Training Co, Basic Combat Training Committee Group, Ft Leonard Wood.
Upon discharge I went back to Kent Moore in downtown Detroit as an expediter in the heavy stamping plant, we made lots of tractor axles and drawbars. I handled all the outside welders, heat treaters, and sand blasters. For a couple days I ran just finished (and hot) axles two at a time back and forth from our plant to the Ford production line. I left Detroit and went to work at La-Z-Boy Chair Co. in Monroe, MI as Asst Mgr of the fabric Department in early 1973 I think. By the time I left in 1977 I was "Director of Fabric Procurement" and in my last year spent over $20 million on over 7 million yards of fabric. I stayed in the furniture business but went to work for Kroehler Furniture in Naperville, IL in the summer of 1977 as Merchandise Manager for the Occasional Line, for almost twice the $15k/yr La-Z-Boy was paying me. In 1979 my boss at Kroehler purchased their factory in Newport, TN and named me a VP & Secretary. A highly leveraged company, we were paying over 20% interest. The steel factory building had over 400 bullet holes in it from the last labor dispute..... so I made numerous trips to the Manhattan financial district to work with "factors" who would take our receivables and wire money enough to cover payroll into our bank account. One of our silent partners was Jerry Shottenstein (Google the family)
During my years in the furniture business I was on the road almost every week, averaging about 130 nights a year in hotels. During my tenure at Kroehler I had numerous trip in their Lear Jet model 23, one of the first built.
After Schroeder Furniture in TN closed, a was a thread salesman for a time for Advanced Thread out of Hackensack, NJ. While staying in Tennessee, my territory was the mid-west. I later sold in SC for School Calendar Company (the poster calendars with the football team/cheerleaders, and all the ads at the bottom. then a stint at East Tennessee Ford as a salesman when the Taurus was introduced.... Finally moving to the Atlanta, GA area in 1986 as a salesman for Minister's Life, selling life/health & annuities to full time religious professionals. I hate sales jobs!!
In the summer of 1987, the year I turned 40, I went thru "alternative certification" by taking 3 graduate level math classes at the Univ of West GA. I started teaching math that fall in Cartersville, where our Suzi and Jim lived. I was there 6 years, receiving my master's degree in 1992 and moving to Florida in 1993. I taught at an alternative high school in Bay County (Panama City) and while there completed the Coast Guard requirements for my Captain's License. I had two boats, a 1966 32 ft fly-bridge that had originally belonged to the Beach Boys, and I had a 17 ft center console. I returned to Georgia in the fall of 1994 and taught at an alternative HS for 4 years, staying in Carroll County, I then spent 7 years at Mt Zion HS, and finished with 5 years at Temple HS, retiring in 2010. During my teaching time, I did about 10 years of summer school for Carrollton City schools and I still continue as an adjunct instructor at West GA Technical College, having started in 1995.
When I started typing this.... I had no idea.
Other odd jobs....
In high school I trapped mice for old maids, 10 cents a mouse, mowed lawns, and I also helped a friend trap and skin muskrats, also help work in the tomato fields with the migrant workers.
Summer 1964 worked for Campbell Soup Company mushroom farm in IN as a compost mixer, 9 hr/day 6 days/wk $1.25/hr before tax.
Summers 1965-1967 Consumers Power Co in MI as "bottom knocker" emptying coal cars, I ran the crusher house to mash up the coal, I spent time on the regional repair crew, and worked some as a janitor.
In college '65 - '69 I worked as a test proctor, married housing maintenance, Student Deputy sheriff (I got fired, not enough tickets - but hey $10/month) and I spent almost 3 years working at a Standard Oil gas station, pumping gas, checking oil, assisting the mechanic with tune-ups/break jobs, car washes. $1.25/hr +10% parts and 20% labor.
During my years at La-Z-Boy I occasionally went to wife's relatives farm and drove tractor plowing and disking. $1.25/hr + meal.
In the 1990-1991 time with the First Gulf War I did volunteer work with the Georgia Dept of Defense at National Guard HQ in Atlanta 1 or 2 weekends a month. I was commissioned a Captain.
I've got to stop now or I'll think of something else. Yikes!

Last edited by Cap'n Tom on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

How did i know Tom's was gonna be long :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:26 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ronnieb wrote:

And I didn't even include the part about wives...... :lol: :lol: You don't wanna know....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:52 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Cap'n Tom wrote:
ronnieb wrote:

And I didn't even include the part about wives...... :lol: :lol: You don't wanna know....

Maybe we do. :lol: That can be a separate post. Did you move around the country because of the jobs or did you move and find the jobs? I don't like change. When I started BBDO I was a floater for all of three weeks and the first account I worked on was Campbell's Soup.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:37 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubalova wrote:
Did you move around the country because of the jobs or did you move and find the jobs? I don't like change.

I always had a job all set before I relocated. I've lived in Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:40 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I worked in a nursing home for 34 years then was able to retire with full pension , my husband worked for a cement company and he was the cinder block machine operator ! Sadly he passed away before he got to retire :(
We travelled usually twice a year , 3 times to our favorite island , so happy we did , memories are great !
Deb.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:16 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I work as a Systems Engineer on military radar systems.

My wife is a high school business teacher.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

My first real job was working at Lloyds bank in UK, when I moved here I joined the bank I still work for. Started out in a branch doing head teller/new accounts, after a couple years I moved to our brokerage area which is where I got my securities licenses. Moved into our Trust area for a few years doing research/portfolio management then when we decided to outsource that I moved back to brokerage as a wealth advisor, which is where I am now.
John worked over 25yr in the glass industry as an industrial engineer, he used to calculate how to bend glass for things like curved staircases, window, bullet resistant glass for military use, but what most people would see are the sneeze guards at buffet restaurants. He was laid off when that company went bankrupt, he worked at another company for a couple years but it was the night shift & he isn't a night owl so after 2 yrs he left. Now he is running our cookie business, does 90% of the baking & is out at farmers markets in the summer. I do the R&D for new cookies & go to markets on Saturdays.