The Aruba Forums
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here



CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:43 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:43 am
Posts: 11621
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Danno wrote:
Hi Mark,

When you say 'went to cash' do you mean you did a cash disbursement from your 401k? Did you incur a 10% penalty? Or was this just a straight stock sale outside a 401k?

On another note, I have really been toying with the idea of using some of my 401k money to pay down or pay off our mortgage. Almost everything I've read indicates that it's not a good idea.
If the market were to tank tomorrow, I'd be in a bad place and still have a house payment. If I used some of my 401k funds to pay down/off my mortgage, at least I would have a large asset not tied to the stock market. I realize that one downfall would be the tax liability on the monies from the 401k, but I would escape the 10% penalty. Thoughts anyone?

NH Mark wrote:
ArubaAmy wrote:
It has been a very good year but I would expect a "market correction" soon.


We just today went to 13% cash.


I was referring not to our 401k but to our brokerage account - you can hold part of your account in available/liquid cash so that you can pull it out at any time if needed. As our savings grew we put more of that into investing because we didn't need it but now I'm thinking I'd like to turn some of the investments back into cash just so that when the correction comes that money will be safe from any ups/downs. 401ks do not have that option. I am not an advisor by any means but I wouldn't pull any money from a 401k (penalty is too high) - I would just move it to more stable / less risky funds so when the hit comes it won't be as bad. I did that right before 2009 - took a hit but not nearly as bad as everyone else did. Then when it evened out, move it back. It still recovered nicely.

That's my 2 cents for the day. And I could be wrong on all accounts so don't take my word for anything. LOL!

Hey Danno - hope all is well with you and Mrs. Danno! :D

_________________
~Amy~®

South Beach, FL: Feb. 2018
Mexico: March 2018
Ireland: June/July 2018
36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:20 am 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:12 pm
Posts: 824
Location: East Central New Hampshire
Danno wrote:
Hi Mark,

When you say 'went to cash' do you mean you did a cash disbursement from your 401k? Did you incur a 10% penalty? Or was this just a straight stock sale outside a 401k?

The bulk of our retirement monies reside in highly managed ETF's which constantly churn. We manage other personal funds outside of our retirement account - of which we moved stock to cash yesterday - so no penalties other than cap gain tax. We're conservative, this particular bank stock (TD) was near an all-time high, so we cashed out most of that holding to situate us at +-1/8 (12.5) in cash when viewing our portfolio globally.

Paying off or partially paying off a mortgage, is tantamount to cash-in-hand but that depends upon from where the funds originate. It's all a matter of investor comfort, and mathematics. Good luck.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:23 am 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:12 pm
Posts: 824
Location: East Central New Hampshire
ArubaAmy wrote:
I was referring not to our 401k but to our brokerage account - you can hold part of your account in available/liquid cash so that you can pull it out at any time if needed. As our savings grew we put more of that into investing because we didn't need it but now I'm thinking I'd like to turn some of the investments back into cash just so that when the correction comes that money will be safe from any ups/downs. 401ks do not have that option. I am not an advisor by any means but I wouldn't pull any money from a 401k (penalty is too high) - I would just move it to more stable / less risky funds so when the hit comes it won't be as bad. :D

What Amy says!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:12 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:07 pm
Posts: 16943
Location: Connecticut
Ow my Lord! :shock: :D :D :D

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:35 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:13 pm
Posts: 25631
Location: Long Island
It's been moving in the right direction for sure. :D I hope those of you that can are taking advantage of Roth IRA's.

_________________
Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:29 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 7:49 am
Posts: 4471
Location: Tampa Bay Area FL
I am extremely fortunate to have my best friend of 50+ years as my financial advisor. We live 10 min away, perform music together,
dine and r&r frequently. I sleep very soundly!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:53 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:13 pm
Posts: 25631
Location: Long Island
CaribRJ wrote:
I am extremely fortunate to have my best friend of 50+ years as my financial advisor. We live 10 min away, perform music together,
dine and r&r frequently. I sleep very soundly!


I've had mine for close to 20 years. Rode through the market drop in 07-08 and it was a good decision. Had lunch with an old friend the other day who was kicking herself for keeping her money too safe for the last few years.

_________________
Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:23 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:50 am
Posts: 6514
Location: Mass.
arubalova wrote:
CaribRJ wrote:
I am extremely fortunate to have my best friend of 50+ years as my financial advisor. We live 10 min away, perform music together,
dine and r&r frequently. I sleep very soundly!


I've had mine for close to 20 years. Rode through the market drop in 07-08 and it was a good decision. Had lunch with an old friend the other day who was kicking herself for keeping her money too safe for the last few years.

I’m loaded with if I only had, would have, could have stories / regrets.

_________________
tom & karen


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:17 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:07 pm
Posts: 16943
Location: Connecticut
I knew I shouldn't have looked :x There goes 4 trips to the Island :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:15 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:13 pm
Posts: 25631
Location: Long Island
ronnieb wrote:
I knew I shouldn't have looked :x There goes 4 trips to the Island :lol:


Yes, Friday was a bad day. I didn't look.

_________________
Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:27 am 
Offline
Senior
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:47 am
Posts: 154
Location: CT Shore
I looked too and it wasn't pretty. Time is on my side (but getting shorter quickly :lol: ) so it WILL get better!

_________________
If you have to choose between drinking wine every day or being skinny, which would you choose? Red or white?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:50 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:22 pm
Posts: 6448
Location: MASS
:evil: Yes up---then down the next day ---time to move things around--per Sarge!

_________________
Linny

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:02 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:48 pm
Posts: 22492
Location: Uptown, Georgia, USA
Looks like another interesting day in the market. :shock:

_________________
We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:33 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:43 am
Posts: 11621
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Have to look at the positive. Market was down 4.6% in one day. But....

3 month change - still up 3.39%
6 month change - still up 10.07%

Everyone knew the "correction" was coming and here it is. But just focus on long term goals and how well over the last few months/years your funds have done.

_________________
~Amy~®

South Beach, FL: Feb. 2018
Mexico: March 2018
Ireland: June/July 2018
36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:13 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 7:13 pm
Posts: 25631
Location: Long Island
I'm in it for the long run. Maybe it's time for Wild Turkey.

_________________
Dogs have masters. Cats have staff.

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: abbadmin and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group