It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:31 pm 
Prolific

Just found out we're going to the in-laws tonight. Better start happy hour a little early!

ann wrote:
The year I was at OSU our Kentucky colleagues invited us down for Derby Weekend. They served homemade burgoo...first and last time I had it :wink: I never 'warmed up ' to Skyline...though it was edible. I like my chili regular...with homemade cornbread as the side! :D

I'm not ashamed to say I'm addicted to Skyline. But I don't really consider it "chili". I have 2 chili recipes. One is relatively traditional with a little bulgur, peanut butter, IPA, and a dash of gin and bourbon. The other is a "Buffalo" chili recipe I'm still working the kinks out on. I use buffalo meat, buffalo wing sauce, and Buffalo Trace Bourbon.

Sorry to hear you didn't like burgoo. For those that haven't had it (or heard of it): Imagine if a beef stew recipe, a pot roast recipe, and a chili recipe get together for a party in a little cabin just off I-75 in central Kentucky; there's a forest on one side, a farm on the other, and mountains in the back yard. After several rounds of good, strong Kentucky bourbon (and maybe a little toke of "homegrown"), they ended up shooting a bunch of wild game (or depending on your heritage... collecting roadkill), driving a thrasher through the vegetable fields, & having a threesome. Burgoo is the offspring created from that unholy union. It's great hangover food!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:06 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Don, I was not a fan of Skyline. But I will share my secret weapon when making real chili...I add beer and a couple ounces of chocolate.
We are sitting out back with Mules, seems like the love bugs aren’t bad today. Dinner will be cheeseburgers and beans. No buns....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:12 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

No clue what Skyline is. I'm making shrimp scampi, rice and corn on the cob for dinner. Gin and tonic of course. I thought about bourbon, but there was none in the closet, maybe some in the garage, but since it wasn't open....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:22 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

wow don that is some explanation :shock: maryanne, love your secret weapon.

i make chili but after reading some of these recipes......its not :lol: i brown onions and garlic, toss in ground beef or turkey, lawrys chili seasoning and a can of diced tomatoes. (dont anyone look at the back of seasoning packet) come on, did anyone really expect me to "make" chili :lol: :lol:

we had donover sweet and sour chicken and a salad. just water

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:37 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Cheers everyone! We had salad with chicken tonight. I make chili occasionally but no beans in this house so I bulk it up with bell peppers. Some Fritos crumpled on top is pretty good too. :oops: Linda, I’m proud of you considering there is hormel on the store shelf. :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:04 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Made a meatloaf and had it with mashed potatoes and corn for mid afternoon lunch. Delicious. I'm in with a rum and coke.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:38 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We had a chicken roaster done on the Ronco, honeynut squash (mmm mmm good), roasted BS, milk~
I make a classic chili, non of this spaghetti crap
:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:33 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

My recipe is similar to yours Linda, but I also add beans.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:40 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

shelndon wrote:
Just found out we're going to the in-laws tonight. Better start happy hour a little early!

ann wrote:
The year I was at OSU our Kentucky colleagues invited us down for Derby Weekend. They served homemade burgoo...first and last time I had it :wink: I never 'warmed up ' to Skyline...though it was edible. I like my chili regular...with homemade cornbread as the side! :D

I'm not ashamed to say I'm addicted to Skyline. But I don't really consider it "chili". I have 2 chili recipes. One is relatively traditional with a little bulgur, peanut butter, IPA, and a dash of gin and bourbon. The other is a "Buffalo" chili recipe I'm still working the kinks out on. I use buffalo meat, buffalo wing sauce, and Buffalo Trace Bourbon.

Sorry to hear you didn't like burgoo. For those that haven't had it (or heard of it): Imagine if a beef stew recipe, a pot roast recipe, and a chili recipe get together for a party in a little cabin just off I-75 in central Kentucky; there's a forest on one side, a farm on the other, and mountains in the back yard. After several rounds of good, strong Kentucky bourbon (and maybe a little toke of "homegrown"), they ended up shooting a bunch of wild game (or depending on your heritage... collecting roadkill), driving a thrasher through the vegetable fields, & having a threesome. Burgoo is the offspring created from that unholy union. It's great hangover food!

Okay Sheldon I looked burgoo up and I think I'm with Ann on this one. I'll have to ask my grandson, who is living in Lexington, if he has ever heard of Burgoo and if so has he eaten it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:49 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We had some sauteed scallops. The veggie was spaghetti squash. Cow milk and almond milk with the meal.

I am now falling back on a recent evening libation...white wine over ice.

For chili, we drag out a cookbook (from our old home area) and basically prepare the one called "South End Tavern Chili". Works OK with turkey or beef. It was old bar from the 1930's and the bar area was raucous. For family dining, you went in the "Ladies Entrance." The slabs of fried haddock used to be huge...accompanied with french fries, coleslaw and a stack of local rye bread. I think it is closed now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:03 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Ironically, I have a small container of leftover chili thawing in the frig for lunch or dinner tomorrow. Mine is probably even simpler than Linda's. I just brown ground beef (and or turkey), add the seasoning packet (whatever is there - McCormick's maybe), kidney beans (light or dark, maybe 'chili' beans), tomato sauce, and a can of rotel. Works just fine in my family. When the kids were little, I'd make theirs w/out beans. As they got a little older, I'd puree the beans in a processor and add. Then, I started doing mostly pureed w/ a few left whole. When they complained the first time, I told them they'd been eating mushed up beans for years. Now they eat them and don't complain!

Dinner for me tonight was some home made alfredo sauce, pasta, and steamed veggies. I only had evaporated milk, so I used it, and I must say - it was some of the best I've ever made! Happy hour was earlier at the Newcomers Happy Hour - Rum and Ginger Ale. I just love this club. Mike's out of town, and as much as I'd rather have him by my side, I have no issue being there w/out him. Everyone is so nice. Did I mention I'm now the Social Director? .... imagine that. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:35 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Cheers! Made it thru the MRI and lived, but didn't enjoy. Sally is raining on us. Started with a Stella, now a Lite. Nuked two White Castle Jalapeño Cheese Sliders for lunch when I got home.. Still considering what to eat now...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:41 pm 
Prolific

Beachbumjudi wrote:

Okay Sheldon I looked burgoo up and I think I'm with Ann on this one. I'll have to ask my grandson, who is living in Lexington, if he has ever heard of Burgoo and if so has he eaten it.

Judi, you can just call me Don. My screen name comes from the combination of my name and my wife's, Sheltina.

I actually really like burgoo. Back in the day, I dated a girl whose dad came from the aforementioned "road kill" recipe variation (mostly southeastern KY). I was a nervous wreck because I told him that I'd try his recipe...never thought he'd take me up on it. Yes, I ate it...no, I did not keep it down long after we left. :mrgreen:

I think it's cool that your grandson lives here in Lexington! What does he do here? There are a few places to get burgoo in town. Keeneland Racetrack (horse racing track) is probably the best I've had in Lexington. But you can only get that a few weeks out of the year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:48 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Steak, corn on the cob, baked beans.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:33 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Yes, I can imagine that Donna :wink:

Hope you get a good report Cap’n.