All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: 2020 Sure has been cruel
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:27 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

With the news of Richard's health and the future here, it sounds pretty bleak. As Richard's wife Karen said, this site could go down any day now. I pray it doesn't and Richard comes back stronger than ever. But in case it does go down with no notice, I would like to say goodbye to all the great people I have met over the past 15 years. I have a lot of memories from people I met here on this board that I and Sue will treasure, too many to list. I wish you all good health, stay safe everyone! Ronnieb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:46 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I so agree Ronnie. This is our community. Wishing the best for Richard and Karen, but also hoping a way forward is found.

Maybe there is a Monkey with the aptitude to take over the board and keep it running. I don't have those skills, but I'd be willing to chip in a few $$ to help.

In the meantime...Some of us have Monkey address lists we use for Christmas and other things, no where comprehensive, I have 30 current and former Swampers on mine.

For those interested, I will post my "alternate" email below, and would love to get an email, of course showing their email address, and telling me their real name, location, and whether their email address is to be kept confidential or allowed to be shared. I'd be happy to compile this list. This way, if the Board does go down, at least we'd have a way to stay in touch, and possibly provide a way to join together again. For those on my current address list, I have no email addresses for you.

Tom Miller tomiswho@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:10 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

It would be good to know what's involved to see if any of us can handle it. It may not be too complicated. I'm investigating an option.

Last edited by arubalova on Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:15 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

2020 has been trying, for sure. :|

The somewhat easy fix to this is to create a group on FB for current members/posters from the swamp, and make it private so that only members can see/read what’s posted there. The hurdle is for anyone here who doesn’t have a FB account, and who doesn’t want a FB account. There are pros and cons to this, but it’s one of the simplest ways to move forward, at least for the time being, and just in case we wake up Monday morning and the Swamp no longer exists.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:31 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

MuyLinda23 wrote:

The somewhat easy fix to this is to create a group on FB for current members/posters from the swamp, and make it private so that only members can see/read what’s posted there. The hurdle is for anyone here who doesn’t have a FB account, and who doesn’t want a FB account. There are pros and cons to this, but it’s one of the simplest ways to move forward, at least for the time being, and just in case we wake up Monday morning and the Swamp no longer exists.

There is a FB Swamp Monkey group run by Pauline aka Glitter. It is a private group and a number of us are members. I can only see a listing of the members I am FB friends with so don't know who the 165 members are. Looking at recent members, it looks like quite a few names I am not familiar with. We should get a listing of our current monkeys that do not have FB accounts.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:52 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I am in hopes someone can take this over...count me in if $$ are needed. Nice that Pauline/Glitter has a group going but I am not interested in dealing with 165 people and their views :wink: Hugs to all....as I have said before...you have enriched my life and I am very grateful! :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:12 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I don't post much, but I read daily and count you all as friends.

I have reached out to mods and members of a guitar forum I have belonged to since 2001, as they run on the same Vbulletin platform as this BB. Some really smart folks over there that may have some ideas as to how we can keep this place going until Richard fully recovers....and I pray he will.

I'll keep you posted as I learn more.

Danno

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:17 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

i'm really hoping that richard pulls through this and once he's strong enough maybe can help someone or a few people learn how to be an admin for this board. our company site is hosted by an outside company. we pay $65 a month for webhosting and email server services. clearly we only need web hosting. Im guessing that the ads that appear on this board are paying something to advertise, could be to offset hosting costs. we do have access to codes where we can go in make changes which are handled by owners son.

I will also try to do some research and see what we can do. Maybe if we can get a few people to help out it wont be such a burden. Im willing to do as much what i can.

I am part of the swamp monkey FB page so at least we have another outlet to find those on it. Tom, great idea to make a list, others may not want their email published so maybe by pm while we can. I'll send you my info

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:24 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Cap'n Tom wrote:
I so agree Ronnie. This is our community. Wishing the best for Richard and Karen, but also hoping a way forward is found.

In the meantime...Some of us have Monkey address lists we use for Christmas and other things, no where comprehensive, I have 30 current and former Swampers on mine.

For those interested, I will post my "alternate" email below, and would love to get an email, of course showing their email address, and telling me their real name, location, and whether their email address is to be kept confidential or allowed to be shared. I'd be happy to compile this list. This way, if the Board does go down, at least we'd have a way to stay in touch, and possibly provide a way to join together again. For those on my current address list, I have no email addresses for you.

Tom Miller tomiswho@gmail.com

That's nice of you Tom. Since I've recently started to post, after many years of lurking, I will email you with my information. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:27 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I just can't imagine the Swamp being gone.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:55 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Maryanne wrote:
I just can't imagine the Swamp being gone.....

Me neither. Tom, I just mailed you my mailadress. I am willing to help in any way I can to keep this board going. I am glad to read that some of you are researching if we can continue this board. I have no clue how to do it, but hope that we find a way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:12 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I hope that Richard is back with us soon but also agree that it would be a great idea if someone could train to take over if needed (not me as I am lucky I can sign on :lol: )
I would be willing to chip in on cost if there is a need.

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:21 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Man, I have been without WIFI this past week and now I am reading this. What is up with Richards health? I guess I will need to do some back reading to catch up.
I agree Ronnie. I have not met anyone but being on this site is like knowing everyone.
What am I going to do?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:29 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

froggy wrote:
Man, I have been without WIFI this past week and now I am reading this. What is up with Richards health? I guess I will need to do some back reading to catch up.
I agree Ronnie. I have not met anyone but being on this site is like knowing everyone.
What am I going to do?

Froggy, do you a Facebook page?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:56 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubalova wrote:
MuyLinda23 wrote:

There is a FB Swamp Monkey group run by Pauline aka Glitter. It is a private group and a number of us are members. I can only see a listing of the members I am FB friends with so don't know who the 165 members are. Looking at recent members, it looks like quite a few names I am not familiar with. We should get a listing of our current monkeys that do not have FB accounts.

I searched for this group on FB and nothing came up.