All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: New Environmental Tax
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

As expected the proposed new Aruba environmental tax passed the Aruban Parliament the week of July 7, 2013 and will be implemented on August 1st, 2013.

This will affect timeshare owners and guests and all hotel guests.

The environmental tax will be levied as a one-time charge per consecutive stay per resort. If a timeshare member owns and stays 1 week or 9 uninterrupted weeks at the same resort the new environmental tax would be a one-time charge.

The length of stay does not matter but has to be consecutive at the same resort.

However, if a member owns 9 weeks at one timeshare, then moves to another timeshare or hotel resort for the 10th week and then moves back to the timeshare for yet another week, the tax will be levied three times because it is per consecutive stay per resort and the fee will be based on the largest unit type at each resort.

If a member or non-member rents a unit directly from an owner as a "Guest of Member" the same would apply.

Hotels

A daily environmental tax of $3.00 will be charged on all unit types at Transient Hotels on the island operating with a daily rental rate.

"The tax on timeshare resorts, inns and hotels is not levied to those who hold residency in Aruba, and are registered with the census."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:05 am 
Prolific

abbadmin wrote:
As expected the proposed new Aruba environmental tax passed the Aruban Parliament the week of July 7, 2013 and will be implemented on August 1st, 2013.

This will affect timeshare owners and guests and all hotel guests.

The environmental tax will be levied as a one-time charge per consecutive stay per resort. If a timeshare member owns and stays 1 week or 9 uninterrupted weeks at the same resort the new environmental tax would be a one-time charge.

The length of stay does not matter but has to be consecutive at the same resort.

However, if a member owns 9 weeks at one timeshare, then moves to another timeshare or hotel resort for the 10th week and then moves back to the timeshare for yet another week, the tax will be levied three times because it is per consecutive stay per resort and the fee will be based on the largest unit type at each resort.

If a member or non-member rents a unit directly from an owner as a "Guest of Member" the same would apply.

Hotels

A daily environmental tax of $3.00 will be charged on all unit types at Transient Hotels on the island operating with a daily rental rate.

"The tax on timeshare resorts, inns and hotels is not levied to those who hold residency in Aruba, and are registered with the census."
those who have much ,much is expected....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:48 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Any idea how that will affect those of us who booked with a travel agent and have already paid in full?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:34 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

pmarrier wrote:
Any idea how that will affect those of us who booked with a travel agent and have already paid in full?

I would assume you would pay the tax at check-out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:42 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

This is what I received from my timeshare:

Fiscal Reform Results in Environmental Levy

The current Aruban Government, as part of its policy, is undertaking many projects to enhance the experience of visitors to Aruba. These projects include the Linear Park, the streetcar to improve the movement downtown, the renovation of Oranjestad, the renovation of all the “barrios” (neighborhoods) in Aruba, projects to improve cleanliness of the Island and much more. In total there are over 50 different projects aimed at raising the quality of life for Aruban Guests and Residents alike.

In 2010, the Government abolished half of the Turn Over Tax (from 3% to 1.5%) to improve the buying power of both visitors and residents. However, to be able to finance and implement projects that protect the environment, the Government has reached a new fiscal reform agreement in conjunction with the business community and the unions. Parts of the reform will impact the tourism community as well. For the hotel and timeshare sector, the Government has introduced an Environment Levy effective August 1, 2013, with fixed fees as follows:

ñ US$10.00 per studio
ñ US$15.00 per one bedroom
ñ US$25.00 per two (or more) bedrooms

For Timeshare customers, this levy is a one-time fee for continuous usage during your owned interval. As such, if you own four consecutive weeks, you will be charged for each stay and not for each week. Similarly, owners transferring from one resort to another will be charged for a new stay. Hotel or transient Guests are charged US$3.00 per day. Timeshare customers renting additional days before or after their interval stay will be subjected to the daily fee in addition to their fixed fee.

Once again, the environmental tax will be levied as a one-time charge per consecutive stay per resort. If a member owns and stays one or more uninterrupted weeks at the same resort, the new environmental tax would be a one-time charge for that stay. The length of stay does not matter but has to be consecutive at the same resort.

If during a consecutive stay a member moves from a Studio to a one bedroom unit, then the $15 fee for a one bedroom will be charged. If a move is up to a two bedroom unit, then the fee will be $25. In other words, the fee will be the highest of the possible fees that may be applied.

If a member stays nine consecutive weeks at CPVR, then moves to some other resort for the 10th week and then moves back to the CPVR for yet another week, the tax will be levied three times because it is per consecutive stay per resort and the fee will be based on the largest unit type at each resort.

Rental Units and Exchange Program

Any unit rented will be charged a daily environmental tax of $3.00 on all unit types and this is the same for all Transient Hotels on the island operating with a daily rental rate. Any exchangers will be under the same rules as owners regarding the fees that apply.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:48 pm 
Senior

This is what we just received from Surf Club for our 2BR unit. There is no mention of a one time weekly fee.

We would like to inform you that there is a daily mandated government occupancy tax of $11.88 per night.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:10 pm 
Senior

I just emailed the Surf Club for clarification on this tax and they said we will have to pay $11.88 per night plus the $25 per week charge for our 2 BR. This is crazy. I was actually fine with the $3 per night or the $25 per week. But this just takes advantage of a captive audience. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot with such high taxes and many people will just dine out less and find other ways to save money. If people think this is just the beginning of the taxes for tourists it will eventually impact their timeshare sales. I love Aruba but there are many beautiful places in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:26 pm 
Sophomore

I emailed the Bucuti to ask as well because their website claims their $445 a night Tara Suite fee includes absolutely everything.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:54 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

vker wrote:
I just emailed the Surf Club for clarification on this tax and they said we will have to pay $11.88 per night plus the $25 per week charge for our 2 BR. This is crazy. I was actually fine with the $3 per night or the $25 per week. But this just takes advantage of a captive audience. I think they are shooting themselves in the foot with such high taxes and many people will just dine out less and find other ways to save money. If people think this is just the beginning of the taxes for tourists it will eventually impact their timeshare sales. I love Aruba but there are many beautiful places in the world.

I beg to differ. Ask yourself this question, "Did people stop flying because they had to pay luggage fees?"

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:12 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

From the folks at Divi
----------------------------
The current Aruban Government is currently undertaking many projects to enhance the experience of the visitors of Aruba. These projects include the Linear Park and the Streetcar, which will improve traffic flow in the downtown Oranjestad area. It also includes renovations of all the neighborhoods in Aruba, as well as cleaning up the island, just to name a few. In total, there are over 50 planned projects to improve the quality of life for you, the visitors of Aruba, as well as for Aruba's residence.

In order for the government to implement and finance the projects, a fiscal reform was reached in agreement with the unions and the business community. A new tax was introduced for the hotel and timeshare sector as part of the reform and will affect the tourism industry and therefore you, the traveler. An Environmental Levy goes into effect on August 1, 2013.

For timeshare owners, this levy is a one-time fee for continuous usage during your owned interval. As such, if you own multiple consecutive weeks, you would be charged only once during your visit. If you own non-consecutive weeks, you will be charged for each stay. Similarly, owners transferring from one resort to another will be charged for a new stay.

The fixed fees for timeshare guests are as follows:

US$10 per studio
US$15 per one bedroom
US$25 per two or three bedrooms

Hotel or transient guests will be charged US$3 per day. Timeshare owners renting additional nights before or after their interval stay will be subjected to the daily fee in addition to their fixed fee.

We would like to thank you for your continued loyalty to our resorts, and we are looking forward to providing you our owners and guests with exceptional quality and value for many years to come.

Kind Regards,

The Divi Team

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:21 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

In 1979 my 1st trip to Aruba,we stayed at the Then Divi Divi..It was just a hotel then, no All Inclusive. We booked the trip through a Travel Agent and PAID IN FULL..SO WE THOUGHT..at the end of our stay at Divi..we get a bill for addition TAXES..apparently NOT INCLUDED in the MONIES WE PAID TO THE TRAVEL AGENT.....So, this will be added on to your BILL with the Energy Tax that we all pay every year!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:48 pm 
Prolific

Hi
I went on the different sites and the impression I get (this is just an example) if you own 2 consecutive weeks you will be charge a one time fee according to the number of rooms you have. If you leave that resort and go to another you will be charged again, then if you come back to your resort you will be charged once more. I don't think it is per week I believe it is per stay. Forever we still have to pay the nightly taxes and I believe there is a small charge for electricity. If I am wrong please let me know as I will be going to Aruba in October.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:56 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Blue Clouds wrote:
Hi
I went on the different sites and the impression I get (this is just an example) if you own 2 consecutive weeks you will be charge a one time fee according to the number of rooms you have. If you leave that resort and go to another you will be charged again, then if you come back to your resort you will be charged once more. I don't think it is per week I believe it is per stay. Forever we still have to pay the nightly taxes and I believe there is a small charge for electricity. If I am wrong please let me know as I will be going to Aruba in October.

You are correct.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:04 pm 
Prolific

Thank You Liz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:06 pm 

In October we will be staying at Divi Golf. It is our first RCI exchange vacation. Can anyone tell me the add on taxes, resort fees etc. will be for 8 days in a 1 bedroom? Also are we allowed visitors from non Divi resorts?
TYIA