It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:47 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

First numbers today are from the hospital: there are currently 2 patients in the ICU, and 4 in the "covid ward".

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:41 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Today there were 69 cases (60 residents and 9 non-residents) diagnosed since yesterday's numbers were released, and 14 patients marked "recovered", so there are now 261 active cases.

735 people were tested since yesterday, including 550 at the airport on arrival and 185 at the hospital or private labs. In total, 65,547 people have been tested, including 39,003 at the airport.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:47 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

trending in the wrong direction like the rest of the planet. still hoping to go in august but time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:02 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Numbers will continue to climb. Not just the holiday BUT TODAY you have

flight from London...1

flight from Holland .....3

flight from Toronto.....1

All of the above are on shut down (which doesn't mean much if you want to leave I guess)

flight from Curacao ....5 (where active cases are 1,500+)

You can say this is about the money....it is beyond that....incompetence comes to mind for a start!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Bryan, they seem to be going thru a lot of Covid test kits on Aruba. Any thoughts on their inventory and how they re-stock?

Thank you, and a happy and healthy new year to you and all my fellow "Arubaholics" in this BB.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:23 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

the island did such a good job keeping the numbers down, its a shame to see them rise like this. by the amount of tests being done at the airport it doesn't look like to many people are trying to test in advance at all. Like lefty i wonder what happens when they run out of tests.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:03 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

lindaspooky wrote:
the island did such a good job keeping the numbers down, its a shame to see them rise like this. by the amount of tests being done at the airport it doesn't look like to many people are trying to test in advance at all. Like lefty i wonder what happens when they run out of tests.

I would say the spike in the number of tests done at the airport is a direct result of people not being able to get tested/getting results back in time due to closures over the holidays.getting testing kits is the easy part. Getting more hospital beds, if needed, is the bigger issue.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:23 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Several months ago, the government announced their purchase of testing kits, but I'm afraid I can't recall how many they said they'd bought. I _think_ it was on the order of "hundreds of thousands", but I may be mis-remembering. I am sure that if Aruba was running out, they would turn to the Netherlands for an additional supply.

The increase in cases is both worrying and not unexpected - the reason the Prime Minister announced the additional measures for New Years is because of the lack of compliance with her previous "requests".

The large number of people testing is reflective of both inability to test before travel from the States (as has already been mentioned), but also just because of the big number of people arriving on the island. As reported yesterday by the local columnist I like to mention (Rona Coster):

Rona wrote:
Today, they are forecasting 2,151 passengers, on 21 flights, 18 from North America. The load factor on planes today is 66%, the highest this week, which means airline companies are still losing money, but flying anyway. Thank you.

The busiest day for arriving passengers is predicted to be Saturday, January 2nd, 2021 when the airport is forecast to handle 2,773 passengers.

For comparison, last week Wednesday, we welcomed just 1,286 passengers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:12 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

As far as I know (which is generally not of much value) our wonderful Bryan is an average Aruba citizen or at least lives on the island. He is not a governmental official and gets his news from the same places that are readily available to all.

Yet some of you are constantly asking him questions as if he did work for or officially represented the Prime Minister, the Netherlands and the Health Department.

In any case, thank you Dr. Bryan Fauci.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:50 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

"Yet some of you are constantly asking him questions as if he did work for or officially represented the Prime Minister, the Netherlands and the Health Department."

SO WHAT! If he doesn't like it let him tell us. It's conversation! If you don't like it DON'T READ IT!!! Simple as that! You are not some BB moderator!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:16 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Joey is right in that I'm just a US citizen who is now a resident here in Aruba. But I certainly don't mind answering whatever questions you all have; since I live here, I probably tend to pay closer attention to what's going on, and I can even (kind of) read the Papiamento news that most tourists and visitors don't necessarily see.

And, like Dr Fauci, I too would hope to be portrayed by Matt Damon on Saturday Night Live...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:19 pm 
Freshman

good for you, Brian. :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:25 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

bryanzs wrote:
Joey is right in that I'm just a US citizen who is now a resident here in Aruba. But I certainly don't mind answering whatever questions you all have; since I live here, I probably tend to pay closer attention to what's going on, and I can even (kind of) read the Papiamento news that most tourists and visitors don't necessarily see.

And, like Dr Fauci, I too would hope to be portrayed by Matt Damon on Saturday Night Live...

Is it true if Matt Damon is not available to portray you, your second choice is AJ :?:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:39 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

What else does this guy have to do all day.

Who will play him? From what he said a while back about himself I'm thinking an older and shorter Danny Divito.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:41 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Bryan, again, "Thank you" for all you've done and for all you choose to do.