It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:12 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Not seeing Byranzs daily post and always appreciative of the time/effort he puts into this along with many on this board who look forward to the daily information, I've copied/pasted today's info from visitaruba.com. Hoping Bryans well.

"December 23, 2020 – 30 new cases of COVID-19 reported and 11 recoveries. Active cases increase to 173. The total number of active COVID-19 coronavirus cases has increased to 173 (143 residents and 30 visitors) with 30 new cases (27 residents and 3 non-residents), and 11 recoveries. The total cases to date is 5228 (5055 residents and 173 visitors). The total recovered is 5008 (4865 residents and 143 visitors). The number of persons tested, including visitors, is now 60980 of which 35070 were persons tested at the airport. The local positivity rate is 21%. The number of deaths related to COVID-19 is 47 (all residents). There are currently 7 persons hospitalized, 1 of whom is in intensive care."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:06 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Thanks, casadelmar! All is well, we were just out and about until now...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:00 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Thank you for the update!

The local positivity rate changes dramatically by the day, which I suspect speaks to inadequate/inconsistent volume of testing among residents. I've seen everything from 10% to 21% in the last 10 days?

Have to say, any jurisdiction here in Canada with positivity rates in that range is either highly restricted or in lockdown at this time.

Hope this doesn't go sideways again for Aruba, which given Christmas/New Years could easily happen if people are gathering without masks or distancing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:17 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubagal wrote:
Thank you for the update!

The local positivity rate changes dramatically by the day, which I suspect speaks to inadequate/inconsistent volume of testing among residents. I've seen everything from 10% to 21% in the last 10 days?

Have to say, any jurisdiction here in Canada with positivity rates in that range is either highly restricted or in lockdown at this time.

Hope this doesn't go sideways again for Aruba, which given Christmas/New Years could easily happen if people are gathering without masks or distancing.

Yes, likely to be an increase...perhaps very high. For some reason leaders here and elsewhere rely on citizens to do the right thing....we know how that has worked these past months :wink: In addition, Flight from England yesterday. It appears the entire country is not in lock down after all!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:34 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Of those reported active Covid cases, 30 are visitors. Will they be allowed to depart Aruba when their flight leaves?
Where do you suppose all of them are holed up?

And their family, friends, travel companions.... there are all kind of stories floating around about what happens to them when one of their travel party tests positive, is this all secret stuff?
Who controls where who goes?

Can you picture the whole scene when some government types come to, say, the Costa Linda to pick up the infected person and remove the patient from their vacation unit.... bags and all, friends, family, too, in a locked paddy wagon?
Resistance? Crying? Trouble?

I honestly don't know how I would handle it if it were me.

My wife and I have already canceled our 2021 trip. It's not worth any of the inherent bleak possibilities and the mental stress and angst worrying during every step of the way. No, thanx.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:41 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

ann wrote:
Yes, likely to be an increase...perhaps very high. For some reason leaders here and elsewhere rely on citizens to do the right thing....we know how that has worked these past months :wink: In addition, Flight from England yesterday. It appears the entire country is not in lock down after all!

England has moved to a "tier" system, and only those who live in tier 4 are "locked down" and prevented from traveling. If you live in any other "tier", you can travel to the airports (located in tier 3 or tier 4) for the purposes of travel. So no, the entire country isn't locked down. Should it be? Ah, that's a different question...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:46 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

leftyjy wrote:
Of those reported active Covid cases, 30 are visitors. Will they be allowed to depart Aruba when their flight leaves?

If it has been more than 10 (or 7?) days since they tested positive, and if they are showing no symptoms, they are considered "recovered". If they are showing symptoms, then it's 10 (or 7?) days since the last positive test. If their flights were scheduled to depart before then, I imagine those visitors will have to reschedule.

leftyjy wrote:
Where do you suppose all of them are holed up?

That information continues to be private.

leftyjy wrote:
And their family, friends, travel companions.... there are all kind of stories floating around about what happens to them when one of their travel party tests positive, is this all secret stuff?

There is nothing "secret" about the process, it's all spelled out (including what happens with the rest of the travel party) on the official tourist web site, aruba.com.

leftyjy wrote:
Who controls where who goes?

The government mandates that you have to go to an "isolation property", but it has been stated that if you wish to stay at a more "luxurious" location (at an extra personal charge), that can be done.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:48 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

[quote="ann"
Yes, likely to be an increase...perhaps very high. For some reason leaders here and elsewhere rely on citizens to do the right thing....we know how that has worked these past months :wink:[/quote]

The Prime Minister released an announcement saying that, as opposed to most countries in the world, Aruba continues to allow free movement and gatherings over the Christmas holidays, but that it is relying on its citizens to pay attention and to keep safe, otherwise more restrictions could apply for New Years...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:01 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

bryanzs wrote:
[quote="ann"
Yes, likely to be an increase...perhaps very high. For some reason leaders here and elsewhere rely on citizens to do the right thing....we know how that has worked these past months :wink:

The Prime Minister released an announcement saying that, as opposed to most countries in the world, Aruba continues to allow free movement and gatherings over the Christmas holidays, but that it is relying on its citizens to pay attention and to keep safe, otherwise more restrictions could apply for New Years...[/quote]

It has the potential to get much worse. With Snowbirds coming after January 1st, the average stay will be much longer. Additionally, with an older age group being less able to handle the effects of the virus, hospital beds will fill up. While it's safe to assume those who took the test before arriving or caught it on island, those with shorter stays were probably on a plane going home before they realized they had the virus. Whereas, those staying for several weeks will show the symptons while they are still in Aruba. Lastly, many of the Snowbirds will be in Aruba when their turn to get a vaccine becomes available and shouldn't assume they will get it there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:56 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Since there has been no word from any "visitor" who was taken away from their resort in the middle of the night by a SWAP team in hazmat suits coming down from helicopters and placing black hoods over the peoples heads and taking them to the dark bowls of the underground dark dank COVID HOTEL never to be seen or heard of again I believe that they stay at their resort in self quarantine under medical supervision and if they get worse they go to the hospital Covid Ward.

Other thought is that they kill any visitor who tests positive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:03 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

casadelmar wrote:
bryanzs wrote:
[quote="ann"
Yes, likely to be an increase...perhaps very high. For some reason leaders here and elsewhere rely on citizens to do the right thing....we know how that has worked these past months :wink:

The Prime Minister released an announcement saying that, as opposed to most countries in the world, Aruba continues to allow free movement and gatherings over the Christmas holidays, but that it is relying on its citizens to pay attention and to keep safe, otherwise more restrictions could apply for New Years...

It has the potential to get much worse. With Snowbirds coming after January 1st, the average stay will be much longer. Additionally, with an older age group being less able to handle the effects of the virus, hospital beds will fill up. While it's safe to assume those who took the test before arriving or caught it on island, those with shorter stays were probably on a plane going home before they realized they had the virus. Whereas, those staying for several weeks will show the symptons while they are still in Aruba. Lastly, many of the Snowbirds will be in Aruba when their turn to get a vaccine becomes available and shouldn't assume they will get it there.[/quote]

7 of the 8 snowbirds I know well are not coming to the island for their usual 2-3 months this year. Imagine others are reconsidering also. I do agree on the vaccine. Best not to count on getting it here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:53 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

bryanzs wrote:
[quote="ann"

The Prime Minister released an announcement saying that, as opposed to most countries in the world, Aruba continues to allow free movement and gatherings over the Christmas holidays, but that it is relying on its citizens to pay attention and to keep safe, otherwise more restrictions could apply for New Years...[/quote]

Hmm.... this is decidedly unsettling for anyone thinking of traveling to Aruba early in the new year (i.e., me).

We have all kinds of restrictions underway to limit gatherings indoors OR outdoors, and are NOT encouraged to mingle with anybody outside of our immediate household.

With no restrictions in place for Aruba residents and tourists for Christmas and New Years, arriving visitors could really be walking into something here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:15 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:
Since there has been no word from any "visitor" who was taken away from their resort in the middle of the night by a SWAP team in hazmat suits coming down from helicopters and placing black hoods over the peoples heads and taking them to the dark bowls of the underground dark dank COVID HOTEL never to be seen or heard of again I believe that they stay at their resort in self quarantine under medical supervision and if they get worse they go to the hospital Covid Ward.

Other thought is that they kill any visitor who tests positive.

AJ, while I recall you said you heard comments at Divi Phoenix about those in quarantine who tested positive & staying on property, I find that totally unrealistic. First, no property wants to take the chance of having a guest staying who is knowingly positive. Especially since there's no guarantee a person would stay in their room regardless of the fine. Once word gets out, all hell would break loose with the other guests. It's been stated there are those who left their rooms while waiting for the results from their airport test. At least person went on the town & his test came back positive. It was said he and his travelmate were arrested.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:18 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

There are restrictions in Aruba but family gatherings are allowed. Mask wearing is mandatory in inside settings, public transport, etc. While most (maybe all others, not sure) countries are pleading with people to only gather with others who live in their households the leaders of the countries are relying on their citizens to do what they are asked.
As we know that is not happening!

https://www.visitaruba.com/traveling-to ... -covid-19/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:47 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

What we have over the holidays in most Canadian provinces isn't leaders asking people to not mix between households, but writing it into local, regional, or provincial emergency orders which makes it enforceable and the possibility of fines.

While some people will ignore, in my experience most people do try to follow rules that are clearly set forth. And, if a house conspicuously has extra cars in the driveway or in front of the house, I wouldn't be surprised if enforcement is called.

When the "ask" hasn't even been made at the government level, that's bad news because it could feel like open season for people to mingle over Christmas and New Years in private settings.

If the numbers go through the roof in the weeks immediately following Christmas, in Aruba or at home or anywhere else, then it will be a bigger disaster for Aruba than August/September because this is the best time of year for the island. Wouldn't be "typical" but still more potential for visitors than September.

Meanwhile, at home we are going into lock down so even if there was spread because of people disregarding public health orders during the holidays, there will be almost nothing open except groceries, pharmacies, designated essential businesses for 28 days starting December 26.

I'm surprised that Aruba, being almost entirely tourism dependent, hasn't done more to control possibility of local spread over the holidays. Also, I'm surprised that the Tui flights from England will continue. Many countries (Canada included) have temporarily halted all passenger flights from England to have time to further study the faster spreading Covid variant.