It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:57 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

There were 8 new cases (7 residents and 1 non-resident) diagnosed since yesterday's numbers were released, and 20 patients marked as "recovered", so the total number of active cases is now 159.

634 people were tested since yesterday, including 557 at the airport on arrival and 77 at the hospital. In total, there have been 59,443 people tested, including 33,784 at the airport.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:04 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:11 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Always a pleasure. When (if) the hospital numbers for today are released, I'll post them as well...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:53 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

You noted 59,443 people have been tested and that includes 33,784 at the airport. That means only 26,659 Arubans have been tested. How can that be? There are 170,000 Arubans.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:34 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Bryan, are these testing totals since March 1 or so..... ow when?
Thank you.

Out of all those 34K tests done at the airport, about how many (total) were positive, to date?
Thank you, again.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:44 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
You noted 59,443 people have been tested and that includes 33,784 at the airport. That means only 26,659 Arubans have been tested. How can that be? There are 170,000 Arubans.

I don't think the population of Aruba is 170,000....think it is closer to 110,000

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:53 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

ann wrote:
arubajoey wrote:

I don't think the population of Aruba is 170,000....think it is closer to 110,000

OOPS! Meant to write 107,000.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:07 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

leftyjy wrote:
Thank you.

Out of all those 34K tests done at the airport, about how many (total) were positive, to date?
Thank you, again.

Per the daily numbers posted at visitaruba.com, so far there are 157 visitors who have tested positive and 135 have recovered. The numbers do not specifically state if all visitors tested positive at the airport. However, it can be presumed most, if not all, tested positive at the airport.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:07 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Hi, Joey. From the DVG, 59,433 (total tested) - 33,784 (tested at airport) = 25,649 people tested at the hospital.

Now:
- "tested at the airport" is not just tourists/non-residents - anyone who arrives by plane (including returning residents) can test at the airport on arrival;
- "tested at the hospital" is not just residents - locals exhibiting symptoms and referred by their doctors, and non-residents who can show that they are departing, can get tested at the hospital

It was a few weeks ago that I intentionally changed the wording, because I was confused/it was confusing.

Now, having said that, assuming that the majority of airport testing happens with non-residents, and the majority of hospital testing happens with residents - what is the question? I don't quite understand what you're asking re: 25,649 tested versus 107,000 population...?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:11 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

leftyjy wrote:
Thank you.

Thank you, again.

Hi, leftyjy. I don't think it's ever made clear by the DVG if these numbers are cumulative from when the cases first happened (early March), or if instead they're just since the island re-opened. Since the number of cases were really low before the borders were shut down, I don't think it really affects the total that much one way or the other.

And as casadelmar points out, there's no breakdown given of "positive at the airport". Again, the number of positive non-resident cases (157 since July) is really small, but there's no way to tell how many were positive on arrival versus got sick while on the island.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:13 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I don't see the 'official' posting from the hospital for yesterday, but other sources say there are 9 patients in the "covid ward", and none in the "covid ICU".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:06 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

To Bryan: Thank you so much for taking your valuable time every day to provide important info to the large audience in this BB.
I sincerely hope you stay well during all this. And, I hope you have a nice, safe, enjoyable holiday season.
Your work is much appreciated! :D :!:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:28 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

leftyjy wrote:
To Bryan: Thank you so much for taking your valuable time every day to provide important info to the large audience in this BB.
I sincerely hope you stay well during all this. And, I hope you have a nice, safe, enjoyable holiday season.
Your work is much appreciated! :D :!:

Thank you! Yes, still doing our best to social distance/wear masks/wash hands whenever possible. Hope you have a wonderful, safe holiday season as well!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:08 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

The adventurous Mrs. AJ and I spent a morning and drove from the Lighthouse to the Natural Bridge. As we drove 85% of the "local" people did not have a mask on. Anyone working in a store wore one. I think I also noted on another thread that on Saturday and Sunday on the local beach between the Phoenix and RUI loaded with locals and I didn't really see any masks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:53 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:
The adventurous Mrs. AJ and I spent a morning and drove from the Lighthouse to the Natural Bridge. As we drove 85% of the "local" people did not have a mask on. Anyone working in a store wore one. I think I also noted on another thread that on Saturday and Sunday on the local beach between the Phoenix and RUI loaded with locals and I didn't really see any masks

To build on what AJ wrote, as I once said, when Snowbirds start hitting the island on the 1st of the year for the next 3 months, I believe we'll start hearing more about those who are Covid positive while on the island. Simply put, the average age will be older, the average length of stay is longer & as their stay lasts longer, become more lax in doing what they should be doing. With many visitors just staying for a week, I wonder how many are Covid positive when they leave, but have not yet shown any symptons.

If my assumptions are correct, then Lefty's question regarding the number of tourists who are positive becomes interesting as to how they report it. As I mentioned above, the visitaruba.com daily posting states "Visitors" and not "Tourists". If a tourist tested positive at the hospital, I would think they would list them as a Visitor.