It is currently Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:45 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Hospital numbers first: 3 patients in ICU (unchanged), and 6 in the "covid ward" (4 released, and 2 added)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:00 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

There have been 30 people (29 residents and 1 visitor) who have tested positive since yesterday, and 35 people marked as "recovered", so there are now 343 active cases.

189 people were tested since yesterday's numbers were released, 107 residents and 82 visitors at the airport.

At a press conference last night, the Prime Minister indicated:
- the insurance rates are again being evaluated in light of the last 3 months experience, and are expected to decrease again "soon";
- tourist arrivals on the island are down 68% from September last year;
- several airlines are considering adding pre-flight covid testing which would make life easier for everyone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:32 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I went on the Aruba Airport site and this month there are about 60 flights in and out of Aruba per week. With 68% less people who's on the planes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:41 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
I went on the Aruba Airport site and this month there are about 60 flights in and out of Aruba per week. With 68% less people who's on the planes.

It's probably going to stay that way until they drop the silly testing requirements, then the Americans will come.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:58 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

ronnieb wrote:
It's probably going to stay that way until they drop the silly testing requirements, then the Americans will come.

It's probably not a shock to anyone to hear that I disagree that the testing requirements are silly.

The goal has to be a safe Aruba for EVERYONE. That means testing anyone who might have it on the island, trying to keep out anyone who has it and is infectious, and trying to keep it from re-establishing itself once it does get it. While that maybe means making it a little bit difficult to get here, most people on the island (locals and visitors) seem to think that's an ok trade-off.

Fortunately, neither you nor I make those decisions, though, so we'll just keep following the "best advice" of the medical professionals.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:00 pm 
Freshman

Joey, I was on the island recently for 3 weeks. On the direct flight back to Boston on JetBlue, we had a beautiful new looking plane with a capacity of 200 passengers. There were 40 on the plane and that included the 2 pilots who flew the plane down to Aruba.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:03 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:

Mostly Americans, still. Remember that Aruba is used to some big numbers of tourists (I think around 80,000 visitors per month in pre-pandemic times), so even a 68% decline gives you 25,000+ tourists per month. That's a little more than 6,000 per week, so each of those flights could average 100+ tourists on them.

(obviously, these are just rough numbers to give us a feeling for the magnitude of the answers)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:29 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

United out of Newark had two direct morning flights 7 days a week. Now they have one. My flight on November 30th is about 1/2 full as of today. The 737-900 holds 167 so out of the 334 that would have been going down it will likely be 100+/-.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:03 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I know many think the testing requirement to enter Aruba is a burden. Keep in mind other islands if they let people in from USA are requiring testing or more challenging. quarantining for 14 days. Many states are discouraging visitors from other states with the requirement that visitors quarantine for 14 days. And USA and Canada still have closed borders. So my thought is traveling outside of our own state/area is a challenge right now and likely will be for many months.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:58 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Firstly, thank you for posting the numbers.
I agree with the testing somewhat. It is already established that it is imperfect and subject to error, but it is better than nothing and does provide some peace of mind. What would be better would be a simpler test that could be taken daily-both in the US and elsewhere-to give an accurate and timely answer as to whether one was exposed to the virus or not. This would make quarantine and contact tracing much more effective than it is now.
The airline want universal testing at airports to reassure people that it is safer to fly, I know that with a test at home and then one at the airport pre-boarding I could have got my wife on the plane......An easy test at home(test strips anyone?) would mean that people would know not to go to the airport if they tested +ve.
What I have a hard time with is the Covid tax being collected from visitors. For many years Aruba had no requirement for visitors to demonstrate financial assurance of any sort. Lets face it, the majority of the visitors are in a demographic that puts then in the high risk group for heart attacks and worse.......I personally carry insurance that would cover situations not covered by the health insurance I already have. Why would the costs at the Covid Motel be so extreme that they need to collect so much money to pay for it? People are allowed to quarantine at their original resort.....what makes this so different if they do not require hospitalization?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:41 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

My thoughts:

You should not be allowed on any plane unless you have a negative result. Domestic, international, don't care. Get tested before departure.

Locals should need to show a negative test before staying at any hotel. You can't say the goal is a safe Aruba for EVERYONE and then allow resorts to be packed with untested locals. The two just don't go together.

The COVID insurance is only for the worst case scenario of having covid and needing to be hospitalized. If positive and just quarantining, the coverage is not good. If quarantining due to contact tracing, it covers nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:28 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Dan I have a hard time with the “locals are staying at resorts Why? That’s right Why?
Aruba is hurting. Tourism the life blood is over 50-60% off. Businesses closed or in trouble. Money is tight.
Should we believe Arubans answer is “honey let’s pack the kids up and stay at a resort for a few hundred dollars a day”.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:43 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

They are calling them staycations and they do not pay "a few hundred dollars a day". Probably closer to 1/3 of that. Most locals have no A/C and no swimming pool so for 50- 80 bucks they do. And if 15-20 people show up for that same 50-80 bucks and share the cost, its next to nothing. And before you say its not happening, stop, because it is and has for many years. I have seen it first hand. I believe a letter has been sent to the tourism authority and many other officials about it. Will anything be done? Probably not but at the very least all the extra people that show up for the day should be stopped.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:21 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Dan is there a list of the $50-80 places. Any on Eagle or Palm Beaches. I'll then plan a second trip ASAP.

Staycation in Aruba. DUH! You are already in Aruba and the beaches are free. If you don't have a/c you know and are likely used to it.

Do you think they go home to eat their meals?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:48 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
Dan is there a list of the $50-80 places. Any on Eagle or Palm Beaches. I'll then plan a second trip ASAP.

Staycation in Aruba. DUH! You are already in Aruba and the beaches are free. If you don't have a/c you know and are likely used to it.

Do you think they go home to eat their meals?

Joey, this IS actually happening. Last week was a school holiday (I think a week off from school) and there were quite a few local families staying at the Surf Club (and a few other places but I only have knowledge from the Surf Club from people who were staying there at the time.) Dan is correct in that the rates are lowered for locals (because of the over abundance of empty rooms now) and that several people/families will book a room together with 1 or 2 bedrooms, kitchen, etc. for use of the lazy river, beach, etc.

South Beach: Jan. 2020
New Orleans: Feb. 2020
Playa del Carmen: March 2020
San Juan Islands: Sept. 2020
40th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2020