All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Something to Ponder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:33 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I have read on a few other sites that there are hotels and timeshares that are giving locals discounted rates to stay at their hotels. They rent one or two rooms then have friends come during the day. Kids are running free with no supervision and there are no masks or social distancing. Security does nothing about it and locals are not required to be tested to stay at any of the resorts. So we jump through hoops to arrive at a resort where locals are untested with no protection. IMO, everyone staying at a resort should be required to have a negative test!

Last edited by Arubadan on Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Something to Ponder
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:02 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Arubadan wrote:
I have read on a few other sites that there hotels nd timeshares that are giving locals discounted rates to stay at their hotels. They rent one or two rooms then have friends come during the day. Kids are running free with no supervision and there are no masks or social distancing. Security does nothing about it and locals are not required to be tested to stay at any of the resorts. So we jump through hoops to arrive at a resort where locals are untested with no protection. IMO, everyone staying at a resort should be required to have a negative test!

if true, i agree 100%.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:16 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

It is true that the hotels and timeshares offer "local rates" (and they always have) - they may be promoting them more these days to try and make up the shortfall in revenue.

However, all hotel and timeshare visitors - locals and visitors - are required to follow the rules - social distancing, wearing masks in enclosed places (and outside when social distancing isn't possible), constant hand sanitizing, etc. If anyone - locals or visitors - aren't following those rules, then that must be called out.

As for making sure everyone has tested negative - does that apply to going to restaurants too? How about people shopping in stores? Should we all be wearing armbands or some other identification that shows we were negative when we last tested? How frequently should we all be tested - every day? Every week?

I ask these questions to point out that, logistically, such a scheme doesn't make sense. The point of testing arriving passengers is to make sure NO MORE infection comes to the island. Yes, locals have screwed up and caused the peak (which we are hopefully past now) - but if we can stop infections at the border, then that helps keep everything under control (or at least, as under control as anything can be in 2020).

Note that both locals and tourists DO have to test (or show a negative test result) when returning from abroad, so in that respect we're all equal...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:29 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Bryanzs, I respectively disagree. While I do agree that once you leave your resort you are on your own to do what is needed to keep yourself safe, while at the resort you should have some level of comfort knowing that others around you have recently tested negative. At this time, I can see some people not leaving their resort because of covid. I do not think it is unreasonable for locals to have a negative test to stay at a resort. I actually think it is something the resorts should implement, not the government. It is also my experience that hotel security has no interest in causing trouble for locals. I have seen this first hand before covid so I would imagine nothing has changed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:45 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Hi, Dan. I understand your point completely.

I would suggest, though, that for people who are experiencing this, they can either speak to the rule-breaking people themselves, or - as many people aren't comfortable doing so - speak to the front desk. Trust me, no property on Aruba wants ANYONE to get sick, so they WILL try to enforce the rules.

(Just as an aside - the other day, I had to go into one of the local hardware stores, and in the section I was browsing in, there were some other people shopping without masks on. I happened to have a 2 meter long wooden pole that I was purchasing. When they started to approach the area I was in, I used the pole to block their way, and then "reminded" them that they needed to be masked. They were startled, but then surprisingly appreciative and masked up. The moral being, when in doubt, speak softly and carry a big stick...

EVERY time I have encountered someone who wasn't properly masked on the island, if I reminded them, they were quick to comply. Same thing is true with social distancing - people forget, but if you tell them, they seem to take it OK.)

Getting back to your point - I don't think it's likely that a "local testing requirement" will be added at any property, and I expect that very soon (as the numbers of active cases on the island continues to drop) most visitors won't feel the need for it either.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:07 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

bryanzs wrote:
Hi, Dan. I understand your point completely.

I would suggest, though, that for people who are experiencing this, they can either speak to the rule-breaking people themselves, or - as many people aren't comfortable doing so - speak to the front desk. Trust me, no property on Aruba wants ANYONE to get sick, so they WILL try to enforce the rules.

(Just as an aside - the other day, I had to go into one of the local hardware stores, and in the section I was browsing in, there were some other people shopping without masks on. I happened to have a 2 meter long wooden pole that I was purchasing. When they started to approach the area I was in, I used the pole to block their way, and then "reminded" them that they needed to be masked. They were startled, but then surprisingly appreciative and masked up. The moral being, when in doubt, speak softly and carry a big stick...

EVERY time I have encountered someone who wasn't properly masked on the island, if I reminded them, they were quick to comply. Same thing is true with social distancing - people forget, but if you tell them, they seem to take it OK.)

Getting back to your point - I don't think it's likely that a "local testing requirement" will be added at any property, and I expect that very soon (as the numbers of active cases on the island continues to drop) most visitors won't feel the need for it either.

Things must be different in Aruba....in the US most of the anti-maskers are MILITANT!! I would not like to think that getting punched in the face or spending a night behind bars was the high point of my vacation........