Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Re: On the fence
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:11 pm 
Freshman

lindaspooky wrote:
i have never even considered cancelling. I don't have any health issues and will do what i can to keep myself safe same as im doing here in NJ.

I spend my airport time at the united club and only go to the gate when they start boarding. I always "wipe" the plane down and this time i have a travel size can of lysol, hopefully no objections to me spraying my area. United is not blocking any seats so that may be my closest contact to anyone.

As far as being on the island, I spend most of my time outside. I will wear my mask where required and keep my distance from anyone who isn't. is it a crap shoot, yup, but so is doing the same things at home.

Linda

Living across the bay from you up in Lavallette you will be quite surprised how different it is in Aruba, most if not all residents are wearing masks all the time while in public, on the beach it really isn’t needed where we stay the occupancy rate was about 25%. Except on the flight down you will feel safer in Aruba than in ShopRite. I hate to say it but the biggest offenders I saw while there were the tourists, but even they were mostly compliant.

Enjoy

Doug

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:04 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Life is so short and we are all dying from something I would hope unless you really had a health issue that you would go on your trips and enjoy. My friends cancelled their yearly adventure a few months ago and have now found out one of them has stage 4 cancer which has spread- they so wish they would have went on their trip as now they will not have that chance again.

I had Covid in February and never even knew it. Was with my 90 yr old mom and 95 yr old mother in law and they never got it - nor did my husband who I coughed all over all night long. I had a fever, cough and just felt crappy for a couple of days. I went to work, gym and out and as far as I know no one got it or if they did they were asymptomatic.

As a Travel Manager I know that planes right now are safer than your grocery store. Washing your hands is key! There are less cases in Aruba than in whatever city/state you reside. Live you life to the fullest as it is over way too soon :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:21 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I'm still on the fence not because of Covid but more worried about boarders closing . Canada the country that basically closed its boarders to protect its citizens is now getting more Covid than it did in spring . Will it close more ? All the mask wearing and social distancing won't do much against cold weather and some think the cold will mutate the virus into a more dangerous strain . I will make a decision in November by then the situation will be a lot clearer .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:45 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Lemarier wrote:
Life is so short and we are all dying from something I would hope unless you really had a health issue that you would go on your trips and enjoy. My friends cancelled their yearly adventure a few months ago and have now found out one of them has stage 4 cancer which has spread- they so wish they would have went on their trip as now they will not have that chance again.

I had Covid in February and never even knew it. Was with my 90 yr old mom and 95 yr old mother in law and they never got it - nor did my husband who I coughed all over all night long. I had a fever, cough and just felt crappy for a couple of days. I went to work, gym and out and as far as I know no one got it or if they did they were asymptomatic.

As a Travel Manager I know that planes right now are safer than your grocery store. Washing your hands is key! There are less cases in Aruba than in whatever city/state you reside. Live you life to the fullest as it is over way too soon :)

Sorry but that is not a true statement. One example: Aruba has almost an identical population to the city I live in NH....there are 93 active cases today in my NH city....there are over 400 active cases here on the island.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:07 pm 
Prolific

You have to look at active cases as a percentage of population for the accurate number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:14 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ann what's the population of your town?

How many deaths have they had?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:34 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
ann what's the population of your town?

How many deaths have they had?

I am not sure of the number of deaths but the population of the city is about 112,000

Last edited by ann on Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:35 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Kevinaruba1 wrote:
You have to look at active cases as a percentage of population for the accurate number

Please note I stated the population of the city and Aruba are fairly close

Aruba is listed at about 107,000 rounded up. My city is 113,000

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:53 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ann wrote:
Kevinaruba1 wrote:

Please note I stated the population of the city and Aruba are fairly close

Aruba is listed at about 107,000 rounded up. My city is 113,000

That's the whole country Ann, I think they are trying to say your town?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:16 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ann, in your beautiful perfect city I bet there are several hospitals, state of the art medical and testing facilities, and hundreds of medical professionals and institutions.

Aruba has likely 1/1000th of what NH has available.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:53 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I am only comparing two entities of the same size. I am addressing ONLY this quote

"There are less cases in Aruba than in whatever city/state you reside. "

I am not addressing medical facilities, not discussing town versus country. Read the above statement again. The comparison noted is Aruba versus city/state I reside.

My NH town has far fewer active cases today than Aruba has active cases today And coincidently the population of the city is very very close to the population of Aruba.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:26 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

OMG! Are you insinuating that Joey and was off topic ? Shame Joey ! Award worthy ? I think so :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:14 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Don't look at me. ann started it. All Lemarier said was that Aruba had less cases the where some may reside.

ann goes off with the statement...."sorry that is not a true statement" then proceeds to quote her town. Well maybe in her town but the original poster was not directing her comment to ann.

Again there are over 20,000 cities/towns in the US. ann sit down. One or more may.....ready......have less then your town ann.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:14 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I never considered cancelling my trip. I’ve scoped out my test site. I’m bringing Clorox wipes, hand sanitizer and enough masks for a small army.

I live in Kansas and I guarantee there are less cases in Aruba, per capita, than where I live. And yet, I have not been sick, nor do I have any family, friends or neighbors who have had Covid. I wear a mask, wash my hands, use sanitizer and I stay out of places where there is not enough social distancing for my comfort level. I plan to do the same in Aruba.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:04 am 
Prolific

I am 78 and my wife is 70. We have been going to Aruba for about 36 years. I have been following the situation on the island as well as at home. We are supposed to go in January for our annual winter time away. I see nothing as of yet that will prevent our going next January. If the pandemic situation remains the same here in Philadelphia and in Aruba, we would have no problem being on the island where at the least it will be warm and sunny. The protocols in Aruba seem to be working. Everyone needs to cooperate. See you on the beach.