All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Cancelled Flights
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:32 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I know others have written about this but it is good to keep noting.

This morning for some reason I decided to check my direct flight from Newark to Aruba. Well they cancelled the two morning direct flights and replaced it with one at an earlier time. Hey it gets me to Aruba two hours earlier so I'm happy BUT if I hadn't checked how would I have known. Seems that all airlines are no longer letting you know about changes as this also happened on an AA flight I was booked for. What about all the people booked on the other two flights. I called United and asked them and the answer I got was we are unfortunately having to cancel many flights so we are not able to let everyone know. There is a part of me that understands but what about all the people who book and figure they are good to go and find out at the last minute they have no flight to get onto.

Folks please be careful and very vigilant.

United is showing two flights coming back but now I have to figure that at sometime they are going to cancel them and make it one flight at a different time. I have to be more of a mental patient and check all the time.

Post subject: Re: Cancelled Flights
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:36 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

This may explain it

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/u ... r-BB18DWVb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:59 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

This is only the beginning of major lay offs in the airline industry. And next may be hotels.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:16 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Called United and they said that for now the policy on cancelling flights is being done the beginning of the month prior to a flight. So my dumb luck yesterday morning looking at my flights and seeing the major change was done by United on Friday October 2nd for my November flight. So based on that the beginning of November I should check my December return.

I feel bad for the hundreds of people who were booked on the two flights in November and will maybe get an update notice from United in time.

Lest you think I am picking on United as I noted before American did the same thing for flights I was to have been yesterday to Bonaire.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:36 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

thanks for posting joey, just checked my 11/13 return flight and it was changed. I was on the 3:15 to Newark and they changed it to 1:40. they also didn't reassign my seat so just chose one. Looks like they got rid of the second flight.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:08 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I am sure United will make the return flight like yours. Right now the two afternoon flights back are at 3:15 and 4:45 but the flight down now lands at 12:45. I believe they will cancel the two flights and come up with a flight around the time yours is now. Covid or no Covid airlines like to work with short turn around times to keep the same crews down and back.

I now do get to Aruba earlier but that 4:45 flight used to give me a full morning to hang by the beach.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:12 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Joey that’s the first thing that crossed my mind, won’t be able to hang on the beach till noon. I’m hoping once we fall back the flight time will change. Right now the incoming flight from Newark is 7am. I don’t ever remember a flight leaving that early.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:21 am 
Senior

I have to say one thing about JB. They have sent updates for changes in flight times for my Nov. 1 flight and my return flight on Nov. 22.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:54 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Delta cancelled my Tuesday flight to Aruba, so I rebooked for Wednesday. Same flights, better seats.

My flight home was also on a Tuesday. I’ve been waiting for them to cancel it so I can rebook for Thursday. Still not cancelled, but they did change the time. Now I have only 55 minutes to change planes in Atlanta. Because they made the changes, I was able to change to Thursday. Same flights, better seats.

If you have a change, call the airline. If you can get thru to a person, tell them you need help changing your seats. If they do it for you, they might be able to bump you, at no charge, to what is called a preferred seat, still in the economy cabin, but closer to the front. I told the rep about the short layover and she agreed that I needed to sit as close to the exit as possible.