It is currently Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:27 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

As we occasionally do, my wife and I are having a "staycation" down on the tourist side of the island - normally we don't come to Palm Beach in the evenings and weekends unless we're playing tourists.

Last night we went to Palm Beach for dinner, and I noticed a few things that may be of interest:

- Sbarros/Quiznos (located across from Playa Linda) appears to have closed permanently - the store was emptied out;

- The curfew is a real imposition on restaurants, even more than I originally imagined. With the current curfew times (businesses closed at 9, curfew from 10pm-5am), I expected restaurants to be opened until 9 - right? Well apparently most restaurants take this to mean they have to have everyone out (including staff) by 9, which means that they are closing at 8:30pm. If you're already eating by 8:30 they will clean up around you, but trying to get anything to eat after 8:30 is a bit of a challenge. Some places will still make "to go" orders, but others lock their doors.

Although there's supposedly exceptions for restaurants on hotel properties, I found the ice cream/dessert/sandwich shop at Costa Linda adhering to the "close at 8:30" regimen...

- And speaking of hotel exceptions - in order to allow hotel guests a little more freedom than the general population, the hotels are having their guests wear identification (at Costa Linda, this is a wrist band like you would normally see at all-inclusive properties). I don't know what, exactly, having this ID gets you - maybe it's what allows you to eat or drink at restaurants after curfew (...if they stay open...)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:43 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Hi, Bryan,
A few years ago, the Costa Linda began offering an option to owners and guests for them to purchase a chip embedded wristband door key which can also be used as a room charge device rather than carrying the basic plastic card. They are available in four fairly bright colors depending on size. These might be the wristbands you refer to.

I appreciate all your reports posted in this BB.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:49 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Hi, Leftyjy. No, those wristbands I would understand, these are flimsy paper ones that look like baggage tags. I've been assured that they can hold up to multiple days of sweating, ocean, and showering, but also if you need to you can get them replaced at the front desk.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:21 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I believe another person wrote that most resorts are giving out wrist bands for their guests. More to give them additional freedom as they travel around.

New tag line. "Aruba the home of the early bird special"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:28 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Actually, Joey, given the increasing age of the average Aruba tourist, I think that's a motto that could be really successful :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:37 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I thought most places opened around 5:30 for dinner. That means they can only be open for 3 hours? Are they starting to serve earlier? IMO Sabaro was not very good but its too bad they were forced to close. I am sure the rent there was not cheap! Any idea how the hotels are handling rooms after checkout? Some hotels around here will not allow a check-in to a room until 48 hours after a check-out and the room has be disinfected.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:02 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Also guess that the big groups that used to go to dinner together are a no-no.

Wonder what the Madame Jennette's and Wacki Whoo's etc are doing. Those places used to pack them in side by side for dinner.

Here in New York they are only allowing just in the past week a 25% inside capacity. They are saying that by end of the year 50% of NY restaurants will be closed for good. I can't see how Aruba will be any different especially considering that just about 100% of food stuffs are imported.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:22 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I think many restaurants are trying to open earlier, since indeed 5:30 until 8:30 isn't really enough time to make a profit. I've seen a bunch of offers for "early bird specials".

Also, everyone is hoping that the long curfew will only last another week or so, so they're just trying to hang on until then.

Yes, all the big parties that we're all used to seeing (and being a part of!) have to sit broken up (but hopefully near each other) at restaurants. Some people have reported that at some restaurants if they ask they are seated together, but I think that's a violation of the current laws and I just hope those restaurants reconsider their policies to avoid getting closed down...