CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Re: the airport
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:16 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

wow ! I might need a vacation from the vacation :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:35 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Just to put things in perspective - arrivals and departures on Saturdays and Sundays, especially in high season, have NEVER been quick and easy, so I don't think this is that much of a difference.

In terms of the x-ray machines - while it is unusual for Aruba to be doing this, many other Caribbean islands (at least) already x-ray screen all incoming baggage, and I would be very shocked to hear any US or Canadian residents tell me that they don't have a customs and border control division whose job it is to either keep out contraband, or add an import tax to things brought in above a certain value...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:33 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Going to a crowded airport and get a swab stuck up my nose or throat for a second time after being tested at home 24 or 48 before ? Just to but things in perspective I think that would be a complete horror show any day of the week .

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I get test results at home, submit the ED with all the required information and insurance and have to wait on the same line as people who are missing or haven't done anything.

How hard is it to have a separate line. Airports and Immigrations around the world have systems for people who do the right thing.

Come on Aruba. It's an easy solution.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:16 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Wow I would have thought there would be 2 separate lines. Doesn’t make sense to hold up anyone who is cleared to go. Maybe they will change it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:57 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Again, I can't speak for weekend arrivals, but let me again explain what happened for our Thursday arrival - everyone went through immigration (like always), everyone waited at baggage claim (like always), everyone waited in line for Customs (like always). Now, they are using the new x-ray machines, which means you don't just get waived out of the customs area, but instead have to spend a few minutes putting your bags through the machines. These are all things that EVERYONE (tested and untested) have to do, and so would have to do in a single line anyway.

After baggage examination, you wait in a very tiny line to talk with someone who asks if you've pre-tested or not. If you have pre-tested, and after they check your results, they tell you "go through that room, turn left, turn left again, and you exit". If you have NOT pre-tested, they tell you to go into the room and get your test. So the ONLY line that both tested and pre-tested are on where they could possibly speed things up for the pre-tested people is from the end of the x-ray machine to the exit of the inspection room - roughly 6 feet.

Maybe it backs up more on weekends, or something, but during a weekday arrival, the tested/not-tested combined line is NOT a cause of any significant delay for the already-tested folks...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:01 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

jaccli wrote:
Going to a crowded airport and get a swab stuck up my nose or throat for a second time after being tested at home 24 or 48 before ? Just to but things in perspective I think that would be a complete horror show any day of the week .

You're right, that would be terrible - but WHY would you have a swab stuck up your nose for a second time if you were tested at home 24 or 48 hours before? As has been explained many, many, many times, if you take the proper test, in the proper time frame, before you travel, you don't have to be tested in Aruba.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:43 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

bryanzs wrote:
jaccli wrote:

You're right, that would be terrible - but WHY would you have a swab stuck up your nose for a second time if you were tested at home 24 or 48 hours before? As has been explained many, many, many times, if you take the proper test, in the proper time frame, before you travel, you don't have to be tested in Aruba.

You do not have to be tested again....your credentials have to be checked, that's all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:18 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

roryfinn had to argue his way out of being retested but that could of easily gone the other way .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:27 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

If the airport is that packed....rather than standing in line shoulder to shoulder to exit I would go and sit after collecting my luggage and wait for the lines to lessen. I would feel safer that way. JMO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:14 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

bryanzs wrote:
arubajoey wrote:
Is there a separate line for people who have successfully submitted the test results on the ED application.

Nope, everyone goes through the same line and is then sorted out at the end. So, the same process as getting into Heaven.

Too funny Bryan. Thanks for the laugh.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:27 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

bryanzs, happy your experience was easy and fun but don't think we are speaking about your incident.

I travel on Mondays or Tuesdays and return home Thursday's or Fridays for over 20 years. It is about the number of planes landing at any given time. Last year on Tuesday three planes from the US and one from South America were landing about the same time and all converging on what is a very small area. Last year with no Covid lines it was shoulder to shoulder.

I believe that what people are writing about is too many people in a very small area and I see the x-ray step as a way to try a slow down the process. Like others never in 20+ years was I asked to go through X-ray or seen anyone asked to.

All I would like when there are 400+ people converging on that small baggage area is that there is a separate line for the chosen few who were able to get what they are asked to.

With everything being done on line before you arrive the authorities know who can pass and who cannot. Set up the kiosk to expedite things.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:53 pm 
Sophomore

Joey. I've been fortunate enough to go thru the airport twice since Aruba reopened. After the awful x-ray, the slowdown happens when they read the test results from those of us that have our negative results in hand. The others are just directed to the testing cubicle. Then the rest of us still have to stand in line to have a temp check and answer a few symptom questions. A separate line unfortunately wouldn't help. But I'm going back in November any way! :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:31 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

clubrudee wrote:
Joey. I've been fortunate enough to go thru the airport twice since Aruba reopened. After the awful x-ray, the slowdown happens when they read the test results from those of us that have our negative results in hand. The others are just directed to the testing cubicle. Then the rest of us still have to stand in line to have a temp check and answer a few symptom questions. A separate line unfortunately wouldn't help. But I'm going back in November any way! :D

Thank you. Aruba makes people jump through hoops, get testing within 48 hours which for many is a major problem, get insurance which clearly tourists do not need but obviously is subsidizing something or someone and they can't get a "thank you" line. It's not about whether it's a hour line or five minute line. It's about what's right.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:43 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Hmm, let's talk this through, Joey, but first let me correct a mis-statement. _Everyone_ who is on that line "followed the rules". Some may have tested before traveling, and that's great. But not everyone has that option - maybe their test results didn't get back in time, or they can't find a lab that gives results in time, or whatever. They still followed the requirements, otherwise they wouldn't get the green check.

Now, about your suggestion - where, exactly, should the "special people" (who "followed the rules") get their special line? Should they have a special line through immigration? Maybe a special carousel for their baggage? Or just be allowed to pass the x-ray machine, because they took their tests before boarding?

As both I and clubrudee have mentioned, the only place where testers and non-testers could conceivably be separated - because it's the only place where they have to pass different ways - is after the customs inspection. And it's a whopping 6 foot line (...at least when it's not on Saturday/Sunday...). If it's really important, we can set up a petition asking the Prime Minister to declare The ArubaJoey Bypass, and see what she says...?

:)