All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: the airport
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:11 pm 
Sophomore

let me start off with my tale of woe, exhilaration, and despair. We started of taking our free covid 19 tests on Wednesday morning . about 72 hours ahead of arrival. I had previously been tested by the same outfit and received my test results on Thursday morning.(hoping for a repeat) No email thursday morning. No email Thursday afternoon. No email Thursday night. I'm now considering a plan B. Friday morning 7 am i go to a Carewell clinic. First in line, get our tests and results by 9 am, go home and load them onto the Aruba ED app. Get the big green check and we're good to go. BTW the free test results come in via email at 5PM. I dont care because I've got the big green checkmark on the Aruba ED app

Logan airport was a breeze, no lines, everything went smoothly. Jetblue was a breeze. Middle seats blocked. I had a row to myself. flight on time.
Airport was a horror show. After we picked up our luggage. we get in a line that would make Disney proud. It snaked around the perimeter, around 2 baggage carousels, and then made a couple back and forths. We were in line for almost an hour and a half. Now for the fun part part. We were told the test that we submitted and they approved was no good. We would have to take the $75 test and self quarantine. After arguing and trying to understand how they could approve us and less than 24 hours later say our tests were no good. Luckily i had printed the other tests which we received late friday night. They accepted these tests. I dont know why they approved us to travel on the "bad tests" I dont think they know.
In November we're coming down on a friday. No more Saturday fiascoes like this.
BTW - today I got an email saying my covid test submitted on the aruba ED app was no good and i'd have to go to the airport and take the test there. They dont know what they're doing.

Post subject: Re: the airport
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:14 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Bingo!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:30 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

If it is not a PCR nasal test, they will not accept it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:03 am 
Sophomore

ok this is what the bad test was "Rapid Cars Covid 2 AG QL IA respiratory specimen" Specimen source- Nasopharyngeal
This is the test they accepted " Sars-Cov2 real time reverse transcriptase (rt)-pcr diagnostics assay
Both tests were nasal swabs I do see the pcr in the second test. I dont know he difference in the tests or what pcr means.
I guess my advise would be read it closely
BTW at the airport the dont perform nasal swabs, the use throat swabs. Why the difference?? throat swab is a lot less intrusive

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:26 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

roryfinn wrote:
I dont know why they approved us to travel on the "bad tests" I dont think they.

Unless you’re from a “hot state”, you don’t need to test beforehand to get the green checkmark to be allowed to travel to Aruba. You can test in Aruba.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:17 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

thanks for the info, guess it was a good thing you had the back up test.

since they are doing a throat swab at the airport I wonder if that would be an acceptable test to submit from the states as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:34 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I arrived last Thursday, and did the test at the airport, and I can tell you that they did both a throat AND a nasal swab for both my wife and myself. Neither was very comfortable (and apparently because I "tensed up" with the nasal swab, they had to do it AGAIN in my other nostril :shock: ), but within 5 minutes it was all forgotten.

But yes, Saturdays are really bad days to travel to the island, and I would not be surprised if they have extra problems on those days with testing. They've also had a number of technical issues, so it's not impossible that your "you must test at the airport" emails just got "stuck" somewhere...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:55 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Is there a separate line for people who have successfully submitted the test results on the ED application.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:59 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:
Is there a separate line for people who have successfully submitted the test results on the ED application.

Nope, everyone goes through the same line and is then sorted out at the end. So, the same process as getting into Heaven.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:04 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

bryanzs wrote:
arubajoey wrote:

Nope, everyone goes through the same line and is then sorted out at the end. So, the same process as getting into Heaven.

Where exactly is the final check spot and where is the testing area.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:13 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:

I assume you've been to the airport since they installed the (never used) x-ray machines, which you used to walk past and then exit?

Now, you load all your luggage through the x-ray machines, and after they are scanned you enter a little room where someone asks to see your test results. You then go into another small room (let's call that the test room), and if you're going to be tested on arrival, you talk to someone who checks you have the Happy Island app installed, they verify some of your information (if I remember correctly), and you then take a seat for the tests. If you have an acceptable test already, you still go through the test room but you walk right through to the exit.

Hope that helps...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:28 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

bryanzs wrote:
arubajoey wrote:

I assume you've been to the airport since they installed the (never used) x-ray machines, which you used to walk past and then exit?

Now, you load all your luggage through the x-ray machines, and after they are scanned you enter a little room where someone asks to see your test results. You then go into another small room (let's call that the test room), and if you're going to be tested on arrival, you talk to someone who checks you have the Happy Island app installed, they verify some of your information (if I remember correctly), and you then take a seat for the tests. If you have an acceptable test already, you still go through the test room but you walk right through to the exit.

Hope that helps...

Helps? Unfortunately yes.

Reading this reminds me of the saying..."didn't you read the small print". Lot of postings on Aruba administering the test at the airport but first time I'm reading the actual steps and locations at the airport.

I need further info.

I arrive get off the plane, go up the escalator and then down the escalator to immigration lines. Usually directed to the do it yourself kiosk. Once through you go down into the luggage carousel area, luggage comes, never been asked to put my luggage through X-ray around the little divide and handed a little red bag with coupons on to car rental. The longest wait is to get through the kiosk (3-5 min) and of course luggage carousel (10-15 min).

Now it seems I better pack a lunch and make sure I pee before I get off the plane. Right?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:14 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

If you arrive on Saturday? Yes, pack a lunch and an overnight bag.

We arrived on Thursday afternoon, and we were out the door in about 30 minutes after landing. Admittedly we have some advantages (we were among the first off the plane, and we go through the "residents" line at the immigration counter), but the wait for bags, the x-ray process, and the testing procedures are the same for us and everyone else. Again, I can only STRONGLY recommend coming in (and leaving) on non-weekend days, if at all possible.

This will help "flatten the curve" in airline arrivals, if you will...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:47 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

A friend arrived Saturday the 12th. Two hour process at airport, no social distancing in lines as it was jammed packed with people and no 'staff' arranging for order! And what's with the x raying??? In I would estimate 50 arrivals here over the past few years I have only had luggage x rayed once! This is not the time to slow up the airport arrival time!! Geeze Louise!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:08 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

People have been reporting that the customs folks have been stepping up their enforcement of the rules regarding bringing in meat from abroad to Aruba, and the limits on the amount of alcohol that can be brought in per-person. I am guessing that maybe since the re-opening of the borders, customs agents - who used to concentrate on flights from South America, it seemed - have decided to keep busy with the new(-ish) machines. Maybe they figured that, with the vastly reduced number of flights, now would be a good time to get those machines into normal everyday use, and work out any "kinks" they might have. In addition, with government revenues so reduced, maybe the customs agents have been told they need to do what they can to drum up new import duties...?