Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: I'm Covid Free
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:17 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Well maybe.

I have decided like the rest of you should to stop posting our thoughts and comments on what Aruba or any other places should be doing. What I see in Aruba is what I lived through in New York. First there was "it's not here so no big deal" to "wow it's spreading" to "cases are building here" to "Holy S--T this thing is dangerous and everywhere" to all out panic and we are all going to die mode to we can beat this thing if we follow some simple steps. Then after what seemed like forever we got ahead of it and it has calmed down.

No matter where you live I guarantee you have had the same cycles. Right now I would like to believe that Aruba is heading towards the crest of the cycle.

I do expect Bryanzs to continue his daily updates.

The divine, healthy and adventurous Mrs AJ and I are still on for boarding a plane on November 30th for 2 solid weeks in Aruba.

Post subject: Re: I'm Covid Free
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:43 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I don't disagree with you, AJ. In another thread you commented that Aruba needs to get its s--t together.

For the sake of Aruba's residents, I hope they do get their sh*t together. BUT.... the government has not exactly been swift and sure in the response so this could go on for quite a while I'm afraid. The gap between #3 and #4 in the world (per capita cases) is large and despite the size of that gap Aruba is currently halfway to #3 position. This curve is not flattening.

Jurisdictions that crushed the curve took dramatic steps in doing it, which Aruba did in March. I have yet to see that happen on the island. Even if currently 99% of cases are among residents, visitors have no option but to have all services from arrival to departure provided by residents. Hence, the risk of exposure will be ever present and Aruba may have to kiss the winter season good bye if this is not brought under control at a time when people (like me) have a go-no go decision to make.

Many of us need to make arrangements for our business, our home, our pets, etc. So, I'll be making that decision by the end of October. Aruba cannot take forever to get the spread under control. The time to take the hard decisions is now. Does the island want any kind of winter season or not? A month of strict public health protocols NOW (and I mean STRICT) could make a difference.

I think all of us long-time repeat visitors (26 years 35 visits for me) really do want to support "our" island and its people. But, we also have to be realistic about exposing ourselves to a much higher level of community spread than we face at home.

I live in a province of 14.5 million people and we are absolutely wringing our hands about 200 new cases per day. We are not yet "fully" reopened and I don't expect that in 2020 it will happen. In fact, we may walk back some of our current re-opening in the coming weeks.

Aruba is posting 100 cases per day with a population of just over 100,000.

Has anyone else written to the ATA about their concerns?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:28 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

The medical professionals of Aruba have just done an urgent appeal on the people of Aruba to take the virus seriously and stay at home as much as possible. They say it is 5 minutes before twelve regarding the possibility to provide care for people who get ill. The hospital is on the verge of collapsing under the number of COVID patients. So they ask the people to refrain from visiting family and friends and to stay away from parties and gatherings.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:54 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

dutchdushi wrote:
The medical professionals of Aruba have just done an urgent appeal on the people of Aruba to take the virus seriously and stay at home as much as possible. They say it is 5 minutes before twelve regarding the possibility to provide care for people who get ill. The hospital is on the verge of collapsing under the number of COVID patients. So they ask the people to refrain from visiting family and friends and to stay away from parties and gatherings.

I hope that an urgent appeal of that type will help. People need to understand that even if they personally don't have special risk factors, and even if they personally don't develop serious symptoms, they are exposing their friends and family and co-workers (and visitors) and everyone becomes part of the chain of transmission.

The numbers don't improve until everyone - or nearly everyone - gets with the program.

While I understand the need to re-start the island economy, the fundamental problem is the loss of lives. We also cannot ignore what are learning now, that about 10% of people who require treatment for Covid-19 are likely to become long-haulers who are still too sick to work or to resume any kind of normal life many months after they are declared "negative" for Covid.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:58 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubagal, how about you becoming Covid Free with me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:06 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Still have our hotel reservation for early December, but 99.99% sure we will cancel out. Fortunately we can wait until 24 hrs. before departure to make that decision. But we will probably do so a lot sooner than that to give the hotel a chance to rebook the room.
In addition to being concerned about health issues and preexisting conditions, another big concern for us is that when we return home we will have to self quarantine for 2 weeks. (at least that is the mandate now). Just wondering if a week in the warm sun and the risk of getting sick is worth it at this time in our lives (me 77, wife 71).
We are still healthy enough to look forward to visit in another year or two, when (hopefully) conditions are more favorable.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:49 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I will also be there the beginning of December. It will be my pleasure to let you buy me drinks so I need you to go.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:43 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

:arrow:

Last edited by karen1 on Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:50 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

dutchdushi wrote:

Hmmmmm.....so after buying the Covid "Insurance" what kind of treatment could I expect if my condition requires hospital care? Would I as a visitor to the island get access to the emergency room/covid ward? I wonder how long the "insurance" would be able to cover people who get much more than the flu-like symptoms.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:48 pm 

I read this forum everyday but never respond to any posts but I have to say after reading that the Aruba medical people are saying it’s five to twelve and let’s start to quarantine and be more aware is BS. This has been going on for 2-3 months and none of the locals are taking this seriously. Why doesn’t the government start to fine people hurt them in the pocket and watch how fast things change. I love Aruba and can’t take the excuses any longer.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:16 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ArubaGiGi wrote:
I read this forum everyday but never respond to any posts but I have to say after reading that the Aruba medical people are saying it’s five to twelve and let’s start to quarantine and be more aware is BS. This has been going on for 2-3 months and none of the locals are taking this seriously. Why doesn’t the government start to fine people hurt them in the pocket and watch how fast things change. I love Aruba and can’t take the excuses any longer.

Aruba is fining people who break quarantine....one thousand florins for first offense. They have doubled the staff checking on quarantine residents. Bars are closed and there is monitoring of those that also serve food. Aruba is like many other communities...look to the college towns in the USA! My home state has done a fabulous job.....then Dartmouth, UNH opened....count is inching up but I believe the count will jump shortly! Look at Spain, England, etc And please refrain from blanket statements....the majority of locals are taking this very seriously...to say none is just plain wrong!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:29 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Yes, as Ann has stated, the majority are taking it seriously, but it only takes a minority to keep this going as a big problem.

For what it's worth (and the going rate is $0.02) I think the problem can be divided into two big pieces.

1. The government: with revenues taking an enormous hit when the island closed, the big financial players on the island (the hotels, mostly) put huge pressure on the island to reopen. But even with the island open, the government does not have nearly enough income. The Dutch have offered a lifeline, but with conditions that government officials (at least) find unacceptable, so the government will do EVERYTHING it can to keep the cash flowing in. That includes not alarming the tourists with draconian measures, keeping testing low to try and keep the numbers down, and above all else not shutting things down again. So from the government officials perspective (all the way up to the Prime Minister), there is an interest in keeping this controlled as "lightly" as possible and not making a big deal over things, and hoping it just goes away.

2. The people: I think in some respects we did ourselves a disservice by beating down the number of cases to 0 when the island closed before. It seems we made everyone think this was something easy, and not a real worry. I see this especially amongst the younger people, but even among the older locals, there are still a lot of people who don't believe they will get sick.

These two factors in combination give me a pretty depressing outlook on the overall situation, I'm sorry to say.