It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:54 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Not sure if Aruba will honour this As will not be paid by local insurers so unlikely, although this policy does cover quarantine Accommodation and does have air evacuation costs.

[Note: I just noticed Travel Health Advisory page has been updated as of Sept 10]

“In our continued efforts to put your Safety Above All, effective September 18, 2020 we'll offer no-charge COVID-19 travel insurance coverage for our guests when travelling to Europe, the UK, Mexico and the Caribbean (excluding the U.S. and U.S. territories) until August 31, 2021. This coverage also extends to inbound guests to Canada from these destinations. Coverage will be automatically included when you purchase your booking.

What's covered*
New round-trip bookings including WestJet Vacations packages (excluding U.S.) will be eligible for coverage up to 21 days
New one-way bookings will be eligible for coverage for up to seven days
Emergency medical and hospital costs for outbound travellers if diagnosed with COVID-19 while outside of Canada (excluding U.S.) for up to a maximum limit of $100,000 CAD per insured person.
Emergency medical and hospital costs for inbound travellers visiting Canada diagnosed with COVID-19 while in Canada up to the maximum limit of $100,000 CAD per insured person.
Quarantine accommodation costs when the traveller tests positive for COVID-19 on the trip up to $150 CAD per insured person, per day to a maximum of 14 days for inbound and outbound reservations.
Ambulance transportation and air evacuation costs related to COVID-19, up to the maximum limit of $100,000 CAD per insured person for inbound and outbound guests.
COVID-19 repatriation costs in case of death of up to $5,000 CAD per insured person for inbound and outbound guests.
One-way economy airfare for the return of one travelling companion and dependent children when air evacuated back home for treatment.
COVID-19 related insurance coverage will apply to any eligible itinerary that includes at least one flight operated by WestJet (code 838). You will qualify for coverage regardless of whether your first flight was operated by WestJet or by one of WestJet’s code share partners so long as your booking was ticketed on WestJet and includes a flight operated by WestJet.
If you purchased your ticket on a WestJet-operated flight from another airline, even if that airline is a code-share partner airline of WestJet, you will not be eligible for coverage.
*Exclusions apply. Not available to residents of Saskatchewan, United States, or for travel including cruises.“

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:25 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I saw this yesterday and it's a great plan.

Personally I doubt that Aruba will waive the requirement to buy their insurance because I think the whole point of that is they don't want to be dealing with multiple insurance carriers and having to seek payment all over the place.

But for a Canadian this would still have some value, particularly in covering the cost of air evacuation. I understand at this point the Aruba hospital ICU and covid Ward are swamped. There is something to be said for the ability to just get the h*** out and return back home for treatment if sadly it could be required.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:36 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Please read the fine print .

https://www.sbis.ca/does-my-travel-insu ... isory.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:54 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

jaccli wrote:

That's a link, not fine print? If you have a point, make it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:05 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

The fine print is on all insurance policies no medical on Level 3 travel advisories or pandemics . Do think the government is going to issue a travel advisory and the insurance companies are going to say screw you MR GOVERNMENT I was told there is but I can't find it ? Again if anyone can post an insurance policy that covers FULL MEDICAL during a LEVEL 3 TRAVEL ADVISORY OR PANDEMIC PLEASE POST SO I CAN BUY IT .

THANKS AGAIN :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:12 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Not sure what that link is about but it has nothing to do with Westjet's policy which is quite specific about coverage for Covid-19 per below.

Also, my personal out-of-country emergency medical coverage is part of a larger health benefits insurance package that includes prescription drugs, hospital benefits, and up to 15 days out of country. I called and spoke with a representative who told me at this time I would be covered for a trip to Aruba if I was to contract Covid-19. Since my trip is not until January, I plan to call them 10 days prior to travel and have them provide me with a statement in writing.

From Westjet:
In our continued efforts to put your Safety Above All, effective September 18, 2020 we'll offer no-charge COVID-19 travel insurance coverage for our guests when travelling to Europe, the UK, Mexico and the Caribbean (excluding the U.S. and U.S. territories) until August 31, 2021. This coverage also extends to inbound guests to Canada from these destinations. Coverage will be automatically included when you purchase your booking.

What's covered*
New round-trip bookings including WestJet Vacations packages (excluding U.S.) will be eligible for coverage up to 21 days
New one-way bookings will be eligible for coverage for up to seven days
Emergency medical and hospital costs for outbound travellers if diagnosed with COVID-19 while outside of Canada (excluding U.S.) for up to a maximum limit of $100,000 CAD per insured person.
Emergency medical and hospital costs for inbound travellers visiting Canada diagnosed with COVID-19 while in Canada up to the maximum limit of $100,000 CAD per insured person.
Quarantine accommodation costs when the traveller tests positive for COVID-19 on the trip up to $150 CAD per insured person, per day to a maximum of 14 days for inbound and outbound reservations.
Ambulance transportation and air evacuation costs related to COVID-19, up to the maximum limit of $100,000 CAD per insured person for inbound and outbound guests.
COVID-19 repatriation costs in case of death of up to $5,000 CAD per insured person for inbound and outbound guests.
One-way economy airfare for the return of one travelling companion and dependent children when air evacuated back home for treatment.
COVID-19 related insurance coverage will apply to any eligible itinerary that includes at least one flight operated by WestJet (code 838). You will qualify for coverage regardless of whether your first flight was operated by WestJet or by one of WestJet’s code share partners so long as your booking was ticketed on WestJet and includes a flight operated by WestJet.
If you purchased your ticket on a WestJet-operated flight from another airline, even if that airline is a code-share partner airline of WestJet, you will not be eligible for coverage.
*Exclusions apply. Not available to residents of Saskatchewan, United States, or for travel including cruises.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:31 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Arubagal please read the terms and conditions of your insurance policy my Manulife operator told me the same thing that I was covered but I was not . If your insurance does cover in writing please let me know . Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:37 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I will be sure to have it in writing but it's too soon to ask because this is a highly fluid situation. My Air Canada ticket is completely refundable so if I do not have out a quick coverage I won't be going or I will switch to Westjet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:59 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Only one question. Of all you WORDY posters when do you intend top travel to Aruba?

You got your tickets and reservations. I need dates my pelt trading friends.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:52 pm 
Freshman

Air Canada is also including COVID Insurance for flight/hotel bookings. Not included for anyone booking Air only.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:19 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:
Only one question. Of all you WORDY posters when do you intend top travel to Aruba?

Timing is as stated in my signature, AJ.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:20 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Katierad wrote:
Air Canada is also including COVID Insurance for flight/hotel bookings. Not included for anyone booking Air only.

I'm aware. I may switch carriers as a result, if it will be beneficial. It may be that Air Canada will eventually match Westjet and provide coverage for return flights, but likely not going to retro it to when I bought my ticket (June).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:28 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubagal wrote:
arubajoey wrote:

Timing is as stated in my signature, AJ.

In 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days we better be in a much better place or there will be no Aruba worth going to. So insurance will not be needed. They need to get their s--t together.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:11 am 
Freshman

Manulife will begin offering Travel Insurance (Including Covid) for Canadians beginning in October. Includes emergency medical coverage & Trip Interruption etc. This includes those places subject to government issued Level 3 travel advisories to avoid all non-essential travel. Hopefully Aruba stays at Level 3. Read this in the newspaper this morning.

In an email I received this morning Air Canada is going to include the above Manulife Insurance with flights booked prior to October 31, 2020. This free Insurance appears to include air only bookings.

Last edited by Katierad on Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:44 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Actually you are covered for COVID but no other ailments , where it gets tricky is are you covered for other ailments on you regular travel insurance . Manulife told me that if I buy a separate policy I would be covered for everything . I looked at the policies terms and conditions and ARTICLE 23 clearly states that I am not covered for medical issues during a level 3 travel advisory this is on the NON COVID INSURANCE . The agent said I am covered but he could not put it in writing :shock: very confusing regarding regular medical insurance . What I do know is that we need 2 insurance policies to travel to be totally covered .