It is currently Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:18 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I'm sorry to say it looks like there were two more deaths since yesterday. The total number of fatalities is now 18.

[edit: looks like I initially double-counted some results, these are the adjusted - hopefully correct - numbers...]

79 residents tested positive since yesterday. There was a total of 354 tests performed.

44 patients were marked as "recovered." There are now a total of 1,429 active cases on the island.

At the hospital, there are now 12 covid patients in ICU (up one from yesterday) and 32 in the "Covid ward" (7 new admitted, 9 released).

----------------

Yesterday my wife and I returned from a trip to the US, so we were amongst those tested at the airport. The process was very quick and (relatively) painless - apparently, I "tensed up" and so they had to swab BOTH nostrils, because one just wasn't enough. We landed at about 1:15, were out (with our luggage, and through the tests) by about 1:45. We received our email test results (both negative, hooray) sometime between 2:30am (when I last checked) and 7:00am (when I saw them this morning).

After having flown to and from the US over the last week, I think I've decided I'm not ready to do any more flying. I was disappointed in the apparently grudging compliance to wear masks and social distance I saw in my fellow travelers, both at the airport (in NY and Aruba) and on the plane itself. Seriously, can someone explain to me how people think wearing a mask but keeping your nose out helps anyone? It _must_ be a form of protest, because I can't believe people just "forget" their nose is out. I mean, I remember to make sure all my "bits and pieces" are tucked away in clothes when I get dressed - how hard can it be to remember "nose and mouth _inside_ the mask"?? In addition, the "eating and drinking" loophole is stretched so wide you could drive a jumbo jet through it. Buying a 64oz drink and sipping it slowly should NOT mean you don't wear your mask for hours on end...

OK, travel rant over. Back in Aruba, it seems like it's still younger people (including those working fast food) who don't think this is anything serious, and have to be constantly reminded to put on or pull up their masks (oh, and I remind them...). In the more tourist-facing restaurants, staff compliance is much higher, however, so that's good.

As I mentioned yesterday, the DVG (Aruba's CDC) has promised/threatened harsher restrictions in the next two weeks if the numbers don't come down. I think they're hoping the thought of losing access to alcohol is something that will scare Arubians straight...

Last edited by bryanzs on Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:02 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Unfortunately, one of the persons who died is the aunt of one of my friends. I understand the hospital is now saying they can’t handle the situation with all these people on the COVID ward and on the ICU. They are understaffed to keep this up for much longer.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:07 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Yes, they have already indicated that they are going to stop doing any non-emergency work. And they are hoping/waiting for some additional Dutch staff to help with the caseload...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:53 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Didn't someone post that as Aruba opened up that the Netherlands were sending hospital staff to help in case of an uptick I cases.

What's Aruba's plan if they can't handle any more cases.

Bryanzs, did you quarantine when you got to New York. You came from the #4 rated hotspot and you just walked around New York and comment about us wearing masks not to your satisfaction. The New York infection rate for the last 35 days has been below 1%. That is with a population of 12,000,000. So hopefully you took notes when you were here and can follow our example.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:02 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:
Didn't someone post that as Aruba opened up that the Netherlands were sending hospital staff to help in case of an uptick I cases.

Yes, I know I posted that myself at one point. I think the Netherlands was _preparing_ to send extra people to help. Now maybe they are moving closer to actually coming here?

arubajoey wrote:
What's Aruba's plan if they can't handle any more cases.

At one point they "floated" (ha ha) the idea of having a hospital ship in the area, I think.

arubajoey wrote:
Bryanzs, did you quarantine when you got to New York. You came from the #4 rated hotspot and you just walked around New York and comment about us wearing masks not to your satisfaction. The New York infection rate for the last 35 days has been below 1%. That is with a population of 12,000,000. So hopefully you took notes when you were here and can follow our example.

No, I did not quarantine on arrival in New York - since Aruba is not on the list of states and territories that New York is explicitly requiring quarantine from, I did not feel obligated. Please bear in mind that, while the infection rate in New York is indeed much lower (perhaps) than Aruba right now - which is why we felt "safe enough" to travel there - in terms of absolute numbers, the number of infected New Yorkers (120,000 by your statistics) far outweighs the number of infected Arubians (1,300)...

And don't worry, I'm an equal-opportunity "basher" of bad mask wearers. New York, Aruba, wherever - if you can't find your nose on your own face, maybe you shouldn't be allowed to go outside by yourself...?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:12 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Joey, I thought at one point I saw you posted a question about the process of coming to Aruba _as_ an Arubian resident, but maybe you deleted the question (or else I'm imagining it). In any case, I think it was a question that may occur to others, so I'm still going to answer it (even if you made it disappear...)

- Do we still have to pay for the COVID test?
Yes, Arubians (and Arubian residents) also have to pay for the COVID test at the airport, if they don't take it within 72 hours of departure to Aruba. It's the same price (US$75) for us as well.

- Do we have to pay for the insurance?
No, Arubians and residents do not have to pay for the insurance, for a few reasons:
1. If we have to quarantine, we have our own residences in which we can do that;
2. There is little to no danger of us "running away" with outstanding medical debt, which a tourist could do;
3. We _already_ pay for health insurance on the island - it's our national health plan (AZV)

If anyone else is curious about the process of leaving or coming back to Aruba from the Arubian perspective, feel free to ask...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:57 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

thanks for posting Bryanzs, i do hope those on the island start to realize how serious this could be.

Ingrid, so sorry for the loss of your friends aunt.