All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Just Curious
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:14 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Good Morning. Wondering if any Canadians are going to Aruba. We cancelled for March. If we go out of the country we have to self isolate for 2 weeks when we get home.

Post subject: Re: Just Curious
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:17 am 
Freshman

My daughter and I hope to go the first week in February but we have not booked anything yet. Not sure when we will book, probably not before December

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:06 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Booked for Christmas but if Justin doesn't change the level 3 travel advisory then the only medical that covers us is the one we buy from Aruba . Also not sure about staying locked up for 2 weeks when we return . We can cancel at any time with no penalty and it looks like we probably will .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:32 pm 
Freshman

Hoping to fly direct out of Toronto in February if cases in Aruba are under control by then. Just read there are a couple of places in Aruba for testing before leaving Aruba but not sure if the Canadian government will accept that rather than the 14 days quarantine. Trying to keep us all safe & so far doing a pretty good job.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 2:16 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Canada does not care about testing if you enter Canada you have to quarantine for 14 days . Hopefully it will change but with cases in Canada going up I don't think so .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:15 pm 
Freshman

Air Canada is working on the possibility of testing at Toronto Pearson & a couple of other airports upon arrival into Canada. Nothing official but according to the daily tv updates in Ontario Dr.Tam was asked about it by a reporter & she said it’s something that they are aware of & would be willing to look at. Depending on how it would work it may or may not eliminate the need for the 14 day quarantine. The airlines are desperate to find a solution to all of this to encourage people to travel again. If you aren’t retired or can't work from home the quarantine is a deal breaker for many people. There’s always hope.

Last edited by Katierad on Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:20 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Still have my ticket for December but with the 2 week quarantine on my return going through Xmas, I don’t think I’ll be able to make that work. Also at this time, can’t get a Pre travel Covid test here in Nova Scotia, though sounds like they are working on that. We only have 3 active cases in the Province At the moment so feel pretty safe here, of course that can change in an instant. Then there is the invalid travel insurance due to travel advisory. Also, right now AC isn’t flying direct through TO and would have to overnight in NY and I’m not going to do that..so it’s not looking good. But I’m a glass 1/2 full kinda gal, so will keep my ticket until the bitter end......

Sounds good Katie but I wonder if I test positive in TO airport, I suspect I would have to quarantine in a hotel there for ??? before my connecting flight back home.....that ain’t going to work either. :?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:37 pm 
Freshman

The quarantine would not be too much of a problem for me other than being annoying but my daughter would have to take another two weeks off work which would be problematic for her so February may not work for us.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:00 pm 
Freshman

It’s so nice to be able to touch base with Canadians. I read & discuss with Us citizens but never Canadians. Not sure if you would be tested upon arrival if you are continuing on but don’t know if this will even be an option. Hang onto that ticket. I think the US connection is a temporary stop until sometime in Oct/Nov when more people begin to want a warm getaway. I won’t be going anywhere if I have to connect in the US. Your Province is doing great. Hopefully things will stay that way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:52 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I'm holding a ticket on AC 1295, which is direct Toronto- Aruba, a ticket picked up on points, and can be refunded with points back to the account until the last minute. So I've kind of hedged my bets and I think it's 50/50 whether it will happen.

Would be a different kind of trip. First, I would be going alone. Second, wouldn't rent a car nor expect to be "out and about". Get a grocery stocking order and self-cater in my Eagle beach facing timeshare, enjoying the balcony, sun, wind, pool, ocean.

The 14 days of mandatory self-isolation on return home isn't fun but it's do-able. What am I really doing in January anyway? Not much, I hate winter. Staying home isn't that big a hardship and my house checkers can put a grocery order into my fridge to await my return.

Perhaps by then we will have a shorter self-isolation period, or better rapid testing, but these wouldn't be major factors in my go/no go decision.

I would re-check with my insurer to see that I am covered (I did check 2 months ago and at that time they said I would be), and I will continue to watch the #'s on the island. Aruba stands in #4 position worldwide for per capita cases of Covid 19. They can tell us this is "residents not visitors" but every single service on the island from the moment of touch down until wheels up is provided by residents so the high infection rate is deeply concerning.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:35 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I feel for you my Canadian friends. Let me ask you this, is it a law in Canada to quarantine for 14 days or a suggestion? May want to check on that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:47 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Just to give you a heads up on travel insurance . I called my credit cards Amex Platinum , RBC infinite and TD Visa Infinite Privilege.

They all told me I was covered for baggage lost of theft but not Medical . I clearly stated that I would be traveling during a level 3 travel advisory . Then I called Manulife to purchase travel insurance and the sales person said yes I am covered . So I purchased the insurance online as I was checking out there was a list of things to read an to agree to and on article 23 it clearly states that I am not covered for medical during a level 3 travel advisory . So I called back and when I ask why someone would say I'm covered when I am not the line got cut off . Then I check Sun Life travel insurance and in their rules it just states no medical during a epidemic or pandemic . So if someone can tell me of an insurance company that states in writing that I am covered during a pandemic or level 3 travel advisory it would be greatly appreciated .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:53 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

It's a law that is punishable by fines and they can be very hefty . Fines can go up to 750,000 dollars and 6 month jail term .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:55 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Actually.....

Compliance and enforcement

Violating any instructions provided to you when you entered Canada or failing to provide accurate information is an offence under the Quarantine Act and could lead to up to:

6 months in prison and/or
$750,000 in fines
If you choose to break your mandatory quarantine or isolation, resulting in the death or serious bodily harm to another person, you could face:

a fine of up to $1,000,000 or
imprisonment of up to 3 years or
both
The Contraventions Act has been changed to give police (including the RCMP, provincial and local police) more power to enforce the Quarantine Act. They can now issue tickets to people who don't comply with the act or the emergency orders. Fines range from $275 to $1,000.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:01 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

SOOOOO it's a law on the books for you, they did that quick.