All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: cancelled flight
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:56 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

was booked from newark on tuesday 10/27. Happened to be reading a FB post when someone mentioned a cancelled united flight. sure enough that flight was cancelled without any notice from united.

I paid a total of $214 for the tuesday flight, 189 and 25 for a better seat. Mondays flight was $145.10. I went to change the flight online and they wanted an additional $39. Called customer service and they couldn't explain why but they cancelled it with a full refund. I booked monday as a new reservation.

Anyone with upcoming flights might want to keep an eye on them and check the costs before making any changes.

Post subject: Re: cancelled flight
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:54 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

United decided to reduce the frequency of their Newark->Aruba (and I imagine, Aruba->Newark) flights, so they are not currently flying on Tuesdays or Wednesdays. It _would_ be nice if they bothered to tell people, but when I asked the agent on the phone said that they would "eventually" get to everyone - as they adjust their schedule, they have a lot of people to update (not just Aruba flights getting messed around with). So yes, it's good advice, keep checking your upcoming flights, especially when you're about a month out (and then perhaps weekly after that). I'm on a flight in a few days, and I'm _still_ checking to make sure it's going to happen...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:10 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Delta is doing the same - starting to cancel their Tuesday flights to Aruba. I was booked to arrive on Tuesday 11/3 and they cancelled the flight. I could tell the flight was going to be cancelled because I could no longer access the seat chart (I check ALL my flights several times a week - even before Covid) but then they notified me of the cancellation via email. I called their Delta Medallion line and was able to change dates at no additional cost - same seats in First Class and I tacked on an extra week so staying for 3 weeks now instead of two. It's all good. You just need to keep an eye on your flights due to changes to ALL flights for ALL destinations these days (not just Aruba.) It's a hard and ever-changing business at the moment.

South Beach: Jan. 2020
New Orleans: Feb. 2020
Playa del Carmen: March 2020
San Juan Islands: Sept. 2020
40th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2020

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:54 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Amy and Bryanzs are sharing very important information. Remember the days of you getting an email notice when your airline changed the time of your flight often by just a few minutes. Well those days and basically any communication from an airline are over.

I was going October 3rd to Bonaire on American Airlines. I get a call from one off my fellow travelers on Monday (he just wanted to check things). AA cancelled the flight to Bonaire. No nothing from AA. I called and got the matter of fact....."oh yes we cancelled that flight". No sorry, no what do you want to do, no let me see if there is another way to help. NOTHING! I was waiting for them to just hang up and I think that is what the guy wanted to do. WAIT! I asked about a refund. I was told he could not give it to me. I had to go to a separate website and request a refund.

Bottom line untill you step on the plane and it takes off be prepared to have no plane to get onto.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

First class means a bottle of water these days :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:26 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ronnieb wrote:
First class means a bottle of water these days :lol:

Depends on the airline.

First Class on Delta is beer and wine (Comfort Plus also gets beer and wine but no alcohol in the main cabin because it has to be purchased.)

South Beach: Jan. 2020
New Orleans: Feb. 2020
Playa del Carmen: March 2020
San Juan Islands: Sept. 2020
40th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2020