It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:29 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

No doubt Aruba does not want to get involved with the many different types of insurances out there that you or I may have that will "reimburse" us after the fact but not pay at point of service.

It would require them to fill out forms germane to your specific company, use proper coding, have additional staff to process claims and "hopefully" receive their money long after we have left the island. This way you pay, get copies of all the paperwork, tests etc and submit and wait for your money when you are back home.

For example look how long it takes from a doctor visit for them to receive their payments (in my case) from Medicare and our secondary and then bill us for our $15 co-payment. More and more doctors are starting to collect my copay at the actual visit which I prefer.

We are lucky that we have a secondary that does reimburse us. Many do not. Neil's urgent care visit last year was just under $700 (which included EKG, IV fluids, extensive labs done on site, facility and doctor fees. After I got home and downloaded the claim form, sent all the paperwork, copies etc. we were reimbursed less a $50 co-pay. Took about 4 months after we got home. Just giving this as an example which I am sure many others have experienced.

As Ann said with this Covid coverage there are some additional things that in all likelihood would not be paid or reimbursed if quarantined for 2 weeks on the island.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:56 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I just looked at the beach (https://www.casadelmar-aruba.com/webcam ... -aruba.php) and it looks great. (Turn the volume up.) No large waves and a wide beach and not a soul there. All the palapas are open. (Sometimes it doesn't look this good depending upon the tide.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:52 pm 
Freshman

come on people! The question was asked why the beach was empty. A simple "because there are not tourists due to Covid"would have sufficed. Instead, most of you go off on a rant about the insurance you have to pay. How abouot staying on the topic!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:54 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Good point! I think many forget that there is hardly anyone there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:35 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

JayMass wrote:
come on people! The question was asked why the beach was empty. A simple "because there are not tourists due to Covid"would have sufficed. Instead, most of you go off on a rant about the insurance you have to pay. How abouot staying on the topic!!!!!!

Hey, Joey! Better deputize this guy! He means business with this new 'stay-on-topic' law! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:08 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

True....threads have a way of morphing into something else and going off topic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:35 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

To quote the late, great Yogi Berra, “No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded”.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:33 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Hello from America.

Hi, Joey. Yes, Arubian residents do pay for health insurance - they obviously don't pay an extra premium for COVID-specific insurance, but then again, they can quarantine in their own homes if they need to. And right now, if someone who is working leaves Aruba on a "non critical" trip, and gets sick with COVID-19, they will NOT be covered by unemployment insurance when they return.

ArubaAmy, you would be asking the tourism or health officials to have to learn how to verify the health insurance of up to 20,000 tourists a month. Would you really want to wait in the line at the airport while they did that? And of course, they would have to also prove your coverage was continuous for the length of your stay (and not something you had only until you arrived and then cancelled, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:41 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

bryanzs wrote:
Hello from America.

Hi, Joey. Yes, Arubian residents do pay for health insurance - they obviously don't pay an extra premium for COVID-specific insurance, but then again, they can quarantine in their own homes if they need to. And right now, if someone who is working leaves Aruba on a "non critical" trip, and gets sick with COVID-19, they will NOT be covered by unemployment insurance when they return.

ArubaAmy, you would be asking the tourism or health officials to have to learn how to verify the health insurance of up to 20,000 tourists a month. Would you really want to wait in the line at the airport while they did that? And of course, they would have to also prove your coverage was continuous for the length of your stay (and not something you had only until you arrived and then cancelled, etc.

Another issue is most trip insurance does not accept direct billing from an out of country hospital. Thus, one has to pay cash or credit card for medical services. The reason for this is most trip insurance policies are a secondary or tertiary payer.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:31 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Who said that the Aruban hospital/medical will be reimbursed any quicker then they would by any other insurance company.

As you all said it’s a often months till insurance companies pay up.

My understanding is that the insurance company being used is an independent non governmental company so why would they pay any quicker then any other company.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:25 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

bryanzs wrote:
Hello from America.

Doesn't seem that their "quarantine in their own homes" is working very well.

There are now insurance companies that have policies that far exceed what Aruba offers for Covid. No need to stand in line it's all done on-line. Aruba approves several companies. As I fill out my ED instead of having to get Aruba's insurance I put in the approved company. Case solved. So I have one company that covers my travel and Covid.

As for unemployment that's Aruba's issue.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:55 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
Who said that the Aruban hospital/medical will be reimbursed any quicker then they would by any other insurance company.

As you all said it’s a often months till insurance companies pay up.

My understanding is that the insurance company being used is an independent non governmental company so why would they pay any quicker then any other company.

The differrence is that you don’t pay and then have to reimburse the insurance company, but that the bill directly goes to the insurance company. So it might take some time before the hospital or medical company is paid, but they don’t need to try to get the money from tourists and the tourists don’t have to try to get the money they spend from the insurance company.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:29 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

DD I bet the under writers of the Aruba insurance are either a US or European company likely the same I would buy my own from.

Insurance companies are some of the richest companies in the world. They don’t get there by paying out quickly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:12 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
DD I bet the under writers of the Aruba insurance are either a US or European company likely the same I would buy my own from.

Insurance companies are some of the richest companies in the world. They don’t get there by paying out quickly.

They probably are. I think the whole point for the Aruban government is that they don’t need the hassle of trying to get a lot of money out of tourists that have to go into quarantaine. Too bad it take some time to get the money, but at least you get it and you don’t have to deal with people that don’t have the money.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:48 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

The beach in that area is not as nice as other areas..IMHO