It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:08 pm 
Junior

So my original statement still holds, there is no one on the beach because no one wants to visit Aruba when you are safer at home. On top of this is Aruba sticking the tourist with an insurance that I don't need and being from South Carolina I get to pay for 2 Covid test and the get to go into quarantine. I do not need the aggravation factor plus spending at least an additional $500 for 2 weeks in Aruba where I am more exposed to Covid than I am in Georgetown County, SC. I'll pass on 2021.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:41 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

plraymond wrote:
So my original statement still holds, there is no one on the beach because no one wants to visit Aruba when you are safer at home. On top of this is Aruba sticking the tourist with an insurance that I don't need and being from South Carolina I get to pay for 2 Covid test and the get to go into quarantine. I do not need the aggravation factor plus spending at least an additional $500 for 2 weeks in Aruba where I am more exposed to Covid than I am in Georgetown County, SC. I'll pass on 2021.

I think that last bit, "more exposed to Covid than (at home)" is going to be the kicker. It was one thing to require a test when the most likely source of Covid-19 trouble was incoming tourists especially from hot spot areas.

But Aruba is now a hot spot all on its own, with a high level of community transmission. Most of us have more risk of contracting Covid-19 ON the island than we have of bringing Covid-19 TO the island. I have seen no update from the Aruba Government or Tourism Authority or anyone else to deal with this reality. Everyone seems to have their head nicely buried in the sand?

Aruba is still in #4 position worldwide for cases per capita. It would seem to me that this is the time for new public health protocols, mandated, and severe penalties to those who are still entering businesses etc without face covering. Or perhaps the penalty is to the business owner if product or service is provided. If they don't get tough, they can stick a fork in their tourist season.

They may not even be able to get the "wild and crazies" who don't care, because I don't see those folks paying for tests, tolerating quarantine, or ponying up for the mandatory insurance.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:14 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

bryanzs wrote:
Hello from America.

Hi, Joey. Yes, Arubian residents do pay for health insurance - they obviously don't pay an extra premium for COVID-specific insurance, but then again, they can quarantine in their own homes if they need to. And right now, if someone who is working leaves Aruba on a "non critical" trip, and gets sick with COVID-19, they will NOT be covered by unemployment insurance when they return.

ArubaAmy, you would be asking the tourism or health officials to have to learn how to verify the health insurance of up to 20,000 tourists a month. Would you really want to wait in the line at the airport while they did that? And of course, they would have to also prove your coverage was continuous for the length of your stay (and not something you had only until you arrived and then cancelled, etc.

Of course, I totally get it and understand it (I am a business person and also worked in legal at a large HMO for 10+ years). But it doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. LOL! :lol: I will be paying for 3 weeks of their insurance in Nov. It is what it is.

South Beach: Jan. 2020
New Orleans: Feb. 2020
Playa del Carmen: March 2020
San Juan Islands: Sept. 2020
40th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2020