All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:56 pm 
Junior

https://www.visitaruba.com/traveling-to ... -covid-19/

Option three is good news for those in the hot states! You can have one of the quick tests done 72 hours before departure and then post its results 12 hours before departure. You will also be required to take the PCR test in Aruba and quarantine until its results are in.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:53 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

And please obey the rules. Don’t be like positive case #14 who didn’t obey quarantine, but before he got the result of the PCR test he underwent on the airport went out for dinner and did a tour and then had a positive result of the test. Now they have to monitor 50 persons who had contact with him. A**hole.

Last edited by dutchdushi on Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:09 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Mohair wrote:
https://www.visitaruba.com/traveling-to-aruba/entry-requirements-and-visas/aruba-travel-restrictions-covid-19/

Option three is good news for those in the hot states! You can have one of the quick tests done 72 hours before departure and then post its results 12 hours before departure. You will also be required to take the PCR test in Aruba and quarantine until its results are in.

I am saddened to learn this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:38 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

This person should be fined the max of $10,000 Florin. Everyone is freaked out by the 50 people being watched due to contact tracing but what about the 200 he was on the plane with? So far so good, no community spread.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:48 am 
Prolific

Option 3 allows for antigen test which will help since hot states test are taking 5 to 7 days to get results. The antigen test can get results in minutes which will help. Testing on arrival along with the above test will be a big help.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:06 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

dutchdushi wrote:
And please obey the rules. Don’t be like positive case #14 who didn’t obey quarantine, but before he got the result of the PCR test he underwent on the airport went out for dinner and did a tour and then had a positive result of the test. Now they have to monitor 50 persons who had contact with him. A**hole.

Assho*e might not be strong enough.........What an idiot. I presume he had no thought for anyone but himself.
By now we must know where all these people are staying.
When did it get all the way up to 14 +ve results? last I heard it was just 2.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:35 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I just read 5 Arubans and 9 visitors as of yesterday (https://www.visitaruba.com/news/general ... -to-aruba/).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:28 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

“And please obey the rules. Don’t be like positive case #14 who didn’t obey quarantine, but before he got the result of the PCR test he underwent on the airport went out for dinner and did a tour and then had a positive result of the test. Now they have to monitor 50 persons who had contact with him. A**hole.“

Is there anywhere we can follow this story besides the stats page. :(

I did just see the thread on the other BB, I guess I really am just interested in the stats from this case and not everyone’s comments. I sure hope none of the contact testing turns up positive.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:36 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Karen, I guess because of privacy laws they will not give you these details. You can find the stats, but not who was infected by who.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:09 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why anything at all is being done to facilitate travel to Aruba from "hot states".

Matter of time until there is community spread on the island, at which point the border will either close or US will continue to visit while other countries will avoid travel to the island, and Aruba will work in the direction of herd immunity which is not without its costs and can devastate a healthcare system.

Unfortunately, you cannot force people to obey rules unless you actually lock them down. What steps has Aruba taken to actually ensure people go directly to their place of quarantine for 24 hours, and stay there?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:54 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Herd immunity will be a challenge due to antibodies leaving the body after 3 months. More studies need to be done and hopefully herd immunity is possible . That said I would not infect a whole country and cross my fingers . The problems that Aruba face are the problems that the world face . Europe could be an indication of what is to be regarding tourism I am looking at developments in Spain and the Netherlands . The Netherlands is dealing with tourist in a much more cautious manner and they seem to be a model of how to handle this virus . Spain was not as cautious and may be a hot spot for the virus .

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:42 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

The problem is not governments or regulations or lock downs it's people.

Think of some of the basic things we are supposed to do. Take care of ourselves, exercise, eat right are at the top of lists. Here in the US, over 42% of Americans are obese (most morbidly), less then 5% eat right, and less then 3% do any regular exercise.

People obviously take little or no personal responsibility for themselves. They know what to do and what they should do but don't.

So lets take some of this and apply it to Covid-19. All they ask is that we wear a mask and stay socially distant when we can. Wash your hands, use sanitizing products and be smart and considerate of others. If you feel ill or have some signs of Covid-19 contact medical people and /or self-quarantine. For some obviously that is not or ever going to happen. So the virus will continue to spread, people will leave their houses not feeling well but saying when they get to Aruba they will magically get better or just don't give a s--t.

Like most things those who play by the rules pay for those who don't.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:21 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I agree with Arubajoey. Most of us actually know what we need to do and what we should do to protect ourselves and others at this time. The reason there are "hot states" has to do with denial and/or unwillingness of people to do these things.

We've known since early March that the key to getting through this with the lowest case, sickness, and death #'s is to wash our hands, stay apart, and wear a face covering especially indoors and when we can't maintain distance.

I think the problem is exacerbated when people go on vacation because vacay mode kicks in, alcohol leads to less than superb judgement, and there are many who will be somewhat sloppy with the protocols.

Those who have been vigilant for months and have developed a routine can count on a certain amount of "muscle memory" to help them maintain that routine when they're on the island. It's just force of habit. They'll continue to wear masks, keep distance, and sanitize hands because it's what they have done for 4 months.

People who haven't been doing those things routinely at home aren't going to start suddenly doing them on vacation. And that creates risk in this situation, for Aruba residents and for visitors who have spent months doing their best to follow public health protocols.

Suddenly you're mixing and mingling with people (grocery store aisles, gas station, hotel lobby, tiki bar, etc.) who have traveled from a place that is handling Covid-19 very differently than your home state or province or country has handled it.

As a Canadian at home I face almost zero possibility of interacting with someone freshly arrived from the US, because of the border closure and the 14 day quarantine. As a Canadian in Aruba, a high percentage of the people in the airport, timeshare, restaurant, grocery store etc are likely from the US and an unknown number of them are from hot states or may have connected through hot states.

While I hold a ticket for a (direct) flight in early January, that I may or may not use, no one has expressed any interest in coming with me. That's a first, in 25 years.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:20 pm 
Junior

Arubagal, it seems like you are blaming people from the "hot states" for testing positive at the airport and possibly spreading covid. You say: "As a Canadian in Aruba, a high percentage of the people in the airport, timeshare, restaurant, grocery store etc are likely from the US and an unknown number of them are from hot states or may have connected through hot states." But the visitors from hot states are not responsible for Aruba's nine visitor cases. The hot staters would not even have been allowed to board the plane if they tested positive. The people who are tested in the airport are from the other states (I don't want to call them the "cool states" :) ).

On the positive side you should not be worried about getting covid whilst in Aruba. More than 10,000 visitors have arrived on the island since July 10, and only 9 have tested positive. So the odds of encountering someone with the virus are more than 1000-1. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:55 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Mohair wrote:
Arubagal, it seems like you are blaming people from the "hot states" for testing positive at the airport and possibly spreading covid. You say: "As a Canadian in Aruba, a high percentage of the people in the airport, timeshare, restaurant, grocery store etc are likely from the US and an unknown number of them are from hot states or may have connected through hot states." But the visitors from hot states are not responsible for Aruba's nine visitor cases. The hot staters would not even have been allowed to board the plane if they tested positive. The people who are tested in the airport are from the other states (I don't want to call them the "cool states" :) ).

On the positive side you should not be worried about getting covid whilst in Aruba. More than 10,000 visitors have arrived on the island since July 10, and only 9 have tested positive. So the odds of encountering someone with the virus are more than 1000-1. :D

I'm not blaming anyone for testing positive. None of us wants to test positive for this thing.

My concern is that a person can test negative on arrival, have been exposed to the Virus during their travel day, and then BE Covid positive (and shedding virus) 3-5 days later BUT if they are asymptomatic or insufficiently concerned to go and get tested, no one will know. Equally possible, someone tested negative 72 hours before traveling out of a "hot" state BUT has been exposed enroute to the island. In either case, the only way this would be picked up is with a test approximately 3-5 days after arrival (which isn't going to happen).

That means Aruba does not know whether this has happened already and has no way to know if and when it does happen unless there's an unexplained spike or community spread. This type of spread is insidious (it's what was happening in the US from January through March before the roof was blown off) and literally is a situation where "only time will tell".