All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Come on people in Aruba
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:53 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I'm in New York. You are in Aruba. I have no access to daily Aruban news, newspapers, TV, radio or the proverbial person on the street.

It's almost the end of July. Got a few reports when I asked a few weeks ago. Now nothing.

I know that ann is too busy in her garden and doing ann things but what about you Aruban citizens.

I am not going until the end of November but there are people on here who are saying they are going Aug/Sept.

Don't tell me to go to any Facebook sites. This BB was here before any of the other sites and will be after they are gone (if we can keep Richard alive).

So throw us a bone.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:39 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Geez Joey, take it easy. It's July and November is 4 months away. People are busy. Do you want to go or don't you? We are booked for January. Am I looking for info? Yes. I also get info on the CLBR site but I am not freaking out about it. You are starting to sound like lefty.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:37 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

There are a couple of folks on Trip Advisor that are posting from Aruba and a few more are on their way soon.

Check out Trip Advisor/ Aruba / travel forums.

Excerpt from JohnnyTram
“ We rolled up toward high rises and parked by the first Hilton (former Radisson) building.....it was empty, and looked closed on this end of the property. The pool was on, and everything looked great, but all the guests are in the main tower so it was sort of spooky quiet on this side of property. We walked through to the beach and bellied up to Bugalo. For us, this part of the island has really been avoided for a while, since it is usually far too crowded for our liking, but today it was perfect. Grabbed a nice spot at the bar, had a fantastic grouper ceviche and shrimp appetizer, good pours on wifes drink and great service. There was maybe 10 other people in the place with us. The view cant be beat sitting out over the water. And the breeze is really perfect, not too much to make things fly around, but keeps you comfortable and cool in the backdrop of the turquoise waters all around you.

We walked the path up the high rise area and boy, it is really empty. I mean shockingly so. The Hyatt and Barcelo are both closed, or appeared closed. The Playa Linda had guests (timeshare visitors dont give up their Aruba weeks easy :) ) And the Holiday Inn had a few people there (we maybe saw 20 people total not including Playa Linda guests), but its been a while where I can say the low rise area seemed to be busier then high rise area. We had drinks at Pelican but took them to go and kicked it at one of the Holiday Inn pools for a few minutes. (Dont get mad, we were pool hopping as well as bar hopping. I know we shouldn't be using other property's pools, but we are respectful adults and the hotels can use some population right now anyhow) We strolled up to Moomba. and had a tuna appetizer and our last round before heading back to Casa Del Mar. We saw the Tranquillo come in and drop their guests off. It does look like they had a decent crowd. There were a handful of water activity vendors pulling the tubers, renting jet skies ect, but nothing near the chaos that usually exists up here. This is a great time to do a water activity if you have been concerned about the safety of it in years past. There is very little traffic on the water right now.”

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:04 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Just sit back and relax. As I have said before, in 2-3 weeks we will have a better idea of how this is going to work. With only the positive individual and MAYBE their family being isolated, if there is not a explosion of cases in a months time, we can call BS on the contagiousness of this virus. Conservatively, there have been 1500 people exposed on planes to a positive individual. Based on what were being told, there is absolutely no way there will not be community spread. So far so good. It has been 6 days since the first positive test at the airport and no reports of spread cases. I am watching this very closely because this will give us a unbiased real world picture about this virus. The numbers in the USA are so cooked, you don't know what or who to believe. Where I live, one positive individual is tested every 36 hours until they have 2 negative tests in a row. Each positive test is counted as a new case! I personally know of 5 cases of a person testing negative or not tested at all and having Covid on their death certificate as cause of death. One of my friends is a lawyer and this happened to his MOM 2 weeks ago. He is planning on trying to get it changed thru the courts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:09 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Arubadan wrote:
Just sit back and relax. As I have said before, in 2-3 weeks we will have a better idea of how this is going to work. With only the positive individual and MAYBE their family being isolated, if there is not a explosion of cases in a months time, we can call BS on the contagiousness of this virus. Conservatively, there have been 1500 people exposed on planes to a positive individual. Based on what were being told, there is absolutely no way there will not be community spread. So far so good. It has been 6 days since the first positive test at the airport and no reports of spread cases. I am watching this very closely because this will give us a unbiased real world picture about this virus. The numbers in the USA are so cooked, you don't know what or who to believe. Where I live, one positive individual is tested every 36 hours until they have 2 negative tests in a row. Each positive test is counted as a new case! I personally know of 5 cases of a person testing negative or not tested at all and having Covid on their death certificate as cause of death. One of my friends is a lawyer and this happened to his MOM 2 weeks ago. He is planning on trying to get it changed thru the courts.

I've also seen reports of folks getting sent positive results when they didn't even take the test - they made an appt for the test, were too busy & didn't show up - but got positive result. A few states have acknowledged problems with the reported positive case. I doubt you'll see any of the "news" sources listed in my signature report this.

If you have some time, here's an interesting video on this virus thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhYX8RzyMC4

“As a general rule, when the NY Times, the Washington Post, NPR, Public Broadcasting Service, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, and CNN begin to parrot a narrative, the truth often is found in simply believing just the opposite”. Victor Davis Hanson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:31 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Arubadan wrote:

If Aruba, through its strict entry requirements - so strict that we spend days and entire threads discussing how impossible it is to meet the testing criteria - and testing upon landing and contact tracing, actually manages to keep the virus in check - that is proof that the virus isn't as dangerous as claimed? Couldn't it be, just possibly, that the virus IS as dangerous as every health official is telling us, but that the measures are working?

Do you drive a car? If you have an accident, and you don't get injured because the seat belt has protected you - is that proof that you didn't NEED the seat belt, because you didn't get hurt?? It's all just a ruse to get everyone to pay more by Big Seatbelt?

As to the virus spreading in transit, that's why everyone's supposed to wear a mask during the flight and upon landing (and apparently now in the airport before flying as well). Assuming everyone (or most) are wearing their masks, the lack of infection during the flight could again be taken as either "this is all a hoax" - OR that wearing masks actually works.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:39 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Getting back to Arubajoeys original post, I am hoping we will start to see some trip reports soon from people who have recently come back. We are scheduled to go in August & will give you an update then :D

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:34 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I will be so happy to read trip reports and restaurant reviews again. That's what keeps us going between trips to our favourite island. We're supposed to go for a month at the end of Feb., but we aren't counting on it.
I am hoping the best for the businesses and for all of the people in Aruba who rely on the tourism business for their income.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:47 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

bryanzs wrote:
As to the virus spreading in transit, that's why everyone's supposed to wear a mask during the flight and upon landing (and apparently now in the airport before flying as well). Assuming everyone (or most) are wearing their masks, the lack of infection during the flight could again be taken as either "this is all a hoax" - OR that wearing masks actually works.

You can preach all you want, science says unless you have a fitted N95 mask, they do nothing against a virus which is backed up by no less than 10 studies over the last 10 years. So we know just about everyone on the plane does not have a FITTED N95. If there is no community spread, which by the way I certainty hope there is not, something is not adding up. Really simple actually, no conspiracy theory, just simple science.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:50 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Arubadan wrote:
bryanzs wrote:

You can preach all you want, science says unless you have a fitted N95 mask, they do nothing against a virus which is backed up by no less than 10 studies over the last 10 years. So we know just about everyone on the plane does not have a FITTED N95. If there is no community spread, which by the way I certainty hope there is not, something is not adding up. Really simple actually, no conspiracy theory, just simple science.

Dan as my sainted mother used to say.... "the pot calling the kettle black"

If we can't find a fitted N95 does fitted clothing work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:01 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Arubadan wrote:
You can preach all you want<snip>

Yeah, I guess this is the latest thing - I've seen it on Facebook, too. Any time there's anything posted that disagrees with someone's position, it's a rant or preaching. Me? I looked over the post, and I don't see it. Guess I'm just not that sensitive...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:14 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

bryanzs wrote:
Arubadan wrote:
You can preach all you want<snip>

Yeah, I guess this is the latest thing - I've seen it on Facebook, too. Any time there's anything posted that disagrees with someone's position, it's a rant or preaching. Me? I looked over the post, and I don't see it. Guess I'm just not that sensitive...

:roll: